The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TSN] Gillis job may be in jeopardy

Everybody Hates Raymond

I remember, Dave Nonis didn't do anything to ruin the team before his firing. Didn't push any panic buttons. This is huge, lets hope Gillis doesn't get desperate and do anything stupid.

Imagine, if Nonis pulled the trigger for a Kesler, Edler, package for Brad Richards.

But is he really going to be an improvement over Gillis as an NHL GM? If someone believes he would be, I'd like to see their proof based on what he's done for Modo in the SEL.

Only way to really answer is he has experience as GM of a hockey team and it might work out just as well as Yzerman and Sakic or might not idk was just naming someone that could work out and be great...Not overly sure Gillis would get fired over 1 bad year despite the last 2 years of playoffs

I remember, Dave Nonis didn't do anything to ruin the team before his firing. Didn't push any panic buttons. This is huge, lets hope Gillis doesn't get desperate and do anything stupid.

Imagine, if Nonis pulled the trigger for a Kesler, Edler, package for Brad Richards.

maybe he should of tried something drastic could of saved his job

It really depends on four things.

If we don't do anything AND miss the playoffs then I would say he is in big trouble and will most likely get canned.

If we offload a bunch of contracts, stock up on picks, young nhl ready players and prospects and still don't make the playoffs than I would say he is safe.

If we make the playoffs with making a lot of trades, than IMO no matter what the outcome he will stay.

If we make the playoffs without making any trades than he will have to reach at least the second round (lol) to be safe, first round exit with the same team I think his job will be in jeopardy.

But this is purely speculation, TSN does a good job of making spec seem like fact or rumours.

And finally as far as my opinion goes. Gillis is the best GM we have had, the inherited core is going stale fast. This is his time to really put his mark on his team. I think he should stay no matter what. Can't stay at the top forever.

Seriously? He'll never get another job in the NHL again. He's a bad, bad GM.

Everyone just remembers his mistakes but forget about everything else

Got Em Right

Ehrhoff

Sundin

Samuelson

Torres

Malhotra

Hamhuis

Garrison

Lapierre

Higgins

Hodgson

Stanton

Santorelli

Richardson

Tanev

Lack

Promise Players

Shinkaruk

Horvat

Kassian(just beginning)

Gaunce

Lain

Jensen(just beginning)

McNally

Dalpe

Schroeder

Mistakes

Ballard

Booth

Sturm

Roy

Pahlson

That's just off the top of my head. Please go into any previous canucks management and find that many good finds, good signings and good trades. People over criticize gillis for his few mistakes and want him fired cause of them; such stupidity.

Honestly, Burkie would be perfect for us if we're going into a mini rebuild. Naslund would be an interesting choice for GM too if he's ok with leaving Sweden.

Naslund still has connections with our players, I don't see him asking Bieksa, Burrows, Edler to waive their NTCs...

Ron Hextall would be a good choice, I don't think he'll have any problems asking players to waive...

I'm not sure why so many feel that you have to bring in recycled management. If it were me, I would lean towards new blood. Innovative, critical thinkers. Because you haven't heard their names doesn't mean they aren't out there, or that they won't be successful.

For example, John Schneider was a front office guy that wasn't a GM until he became one with the Seahawks, hard to argue his success.

Honestly, Burkie would be perfect for us if we're going into a mini rebuild. Naslund would be an interesting choice for GM too if he's ok with leaving Sweden.

He's a case of been there, done that. I don't think we'd want him back and he wasn't all that impressive in his time here (or time elsewhere since) that I'd take him over Gillis in any event.

Only way to really answer is he has experience as GM of a hockey team and it might work out just as well as Yzerman and Sakic or might not idk was just naming someone that could work out and be great...Not overly sure Gillis would get fired over 1 bad year despite the last 2 years of playoffs

If there was an indicator that he'd been a very good GM for Modo, perhaps there's a chance he'd work out in the NHL. As much as Yzerman has worked out (Sakic's more of a figurehead) there have been plenty of GMs that haven't.

I'm not sure why so many feel that you have to bring in recycled management. If it were me, I would lean towards new blood. Innovative, critical thinkers. Because you haven't heard their names doesn't mean they aren't out there, or that they won't be successful.

For example, John Schneider was a front office guy that wasn't a GM until he became one with the Seahawks, hard to argue his success.

Kind of like Gillis having a number of progressive ideas and bringing this team to within one win of being Stanley Cup champions in his first job as an NHL GM?

He's a case of been there, done that. I don't think we'd want him back and he wasn't all that impressive in his time here (or time elsewhere since) that I'd take him over Gillis in any event.

If there was an indicator that he'd been a very good GM for Modo, perhaps there's a chance he'd work out in the NHL. As much as Yzerman has worked out (Sakic's more of a figurehead) there have been plenty of GMs that haven't.

Kind of like Gillis having a number of progressive ideas and bringing this team to within one win of being Stanley Cup champions in his first job as an NHL GM?

Brian Burke " I don't always find good players, but when I do, I hit the home run". I don't disagree with that at all that's why I want him. He has the one thing gillis doesn't have "trading/drafting big name, proven players". For us it was Kesler, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Kevin Bieksa, Sami Salo... list goes on and on.

So cap hit drops by +6mill, MG finds away to retain the core and find a few money puck players in stanton, dalpe, diaz - BAD GM

Doesn't trade away anyone with NTCs or go into a massive rebuild - BAD GM

Finally gets us our own minor league team where we can ACTUALLY develop our prospects - BAD GM!

We finally start to see a light at the end of the tunnel when it COMES to prospects - BAD GM!

Canucks FINALLY drop out of the playoffs due to a rooster thats massively injured - all his fault, BAD GM!

CDC makes me fell good about myself

Will GIllis be fired this year?

Ha not likely.

This year he has injuries, a new system, new division, new coach and all sorts of other issues he can lay blame on that are way out of his control.

Will he be fired next year? Again unlikely, he'll have new players, rookies issues with the current core and moves to make before that happens.

If by the end of next season this team is terrible and NOTHING has been done to fix it, then and only then is his job on the line.

Fans seriously seem to be bi-polar and quite forgetful on this board.

I don't fault Gillis for the state of affairs as much as some. He has made some very good acquisitions, just lately the signings of Richardson, Santorelli and Stanton come to mind.

But if ownership sees the need for change, I don't think it has to be someone with prior GM experience and yes Gillis would fall under that umbrella.

Archived