The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Discussing Edler for Franzen Trade w/ Detroit, Interest in Gaborik/Vanek/Moulson, Calls on Kesler

Agreed, but why risk destroying a prospect if he's looking overwhelmed in those 9 games?

Look at Scheiffle. He got sent back twice and looks the better for it. Now compare that with Nino Niederrieter...

Thats a fair point. I just think if we got Helm and signed a ufa like Vanek/Moulson then we'd have Daniel, ufa, Burr, kassian, higgins, Hansen and our lineup will be pretty much set and the only way we'd see if Horvat could handle the NHL is if there was an injury in the preseason that would open up a spot for 9 games unless you demote Kassian to the 4th but then if he can stick in the lineup we'd have to ship someone and probably not get fair value back.

But then again if we just pencio in Horvat as a 2nd line RW and don't try for a ufa and he doesn't stick then we'd be in more troublr

Yea idk just thought it could be an interesting move to trade both for a major shake up.

We'd get a better return trading them separately to two different teams. They're each worth a roster player, a bluechip prospect and a 1st round pick as a minimum (as has been mentioned in this thread - look at the returns Philly got for two eternal contracts Mike Richards and Jeff Carter).

I literally had a dream we traded Edler for a first round pick to Detroit last night. I guess thats what I truly think they'd pay for him.

Given Detroit's current place in the standings that would 13-15th overall....not a bad return but we will need to take some salary back so I see one of Detroit's roster players coming back our way and maybe one of our B prospects going to Detroit.

EDIT: I'd be ok with missing the playoffs and losing Edler if we had 2 top 15 picks this year...

Comets could certainly use him....Gaunce, Horvat, Cassels, Subban, Shinkarik, Fox...they could all be on that team next year.

I'm pretty sure all of these players except Fox and Gaunce will be going back to the juniors again next year if they don't crack the Canucks.

I heard ana is looking for a D and looking at kesler..... could be great for a reset as they have silverberg, etem and bonino who would be great for us.

To ana:

Kesler, Edler

To van:

Silverberg, Etem, bonino, ana 1st, cap dump.

Siverberg+ bonino= kesler

Etem= edler

Cap dump = anas 1st round pick

Anaheim could work for Edler but likely not for both.

Eddie for Etem and a 1st could be worth considering.

Get them to throw in Sbisa if they want a cap dump.

Yes.

His birthday is Oct 13, 1994.

/ He has also played 4 seasons of junior which makes him eligible, regardless.

Interesting. Good news for his development. He needs to play against bigger, stronger men so he can learn what he needs to do to be successful on the professional level.

I wish we could trade Edler for Mantha, 1st, and Franzen. Even if we had to add a little I would do that in a heartbeat. We could get a top 10 pick with Detroits 1st most likely considering Zetterberg's out. If we can get in the top 10 also we could draft Ehlers and Virtainin or Perlini. Our cupboard would be stacked pretty good for the future.

I wish we could trade Edler for Mantha, 1st, and Franzen. Even if we had to add a little I would do that in a heartbeat. We could get a top 10 pick with Detroits 1st most likely considering Zetterberg's out. If we can get in the top 10 also we could draft Ehlers and Virtainin or Perlini. Our cupboard would be stacked pretty good for the future.

Problem is Detroit is in a similar situation, sure they get out of Franzens lifetime deal but they also lose Mantha (who they took 18th? I think) a 1st round & potentially a top 10 1st in this draft (granted it is listed as being a weaker draft year) that seems to be setting them back a bit too far in my view. On the flip side of it, this could just be a 1 off year and Franzen is back to his usual self next year and Detroit also loses out on his production / clutchness etc.

Detroit is a team worth looking at to see if they are willing to move their 1st and what it would take (sans taking on Franzen). Another team that might be on the market for Edler would be Columbus maybe a mid to high prospect + 1st for Edler and a 3rd / 4th as they might make the playoffs and giving them a good Dman will definitely help them out.

3 trades I would like to see GMMG get for Edler

Edler for Hartnell

Edler for Loui Erikkson

Edler for Kulikov + Matthias

I could see anyone of these 3 swaps going down if Edler is going to be moved.

Louie Erikkson could be an interesting player and the Florida package is pretty decent but not sure about Scott Hartnell, I think philly would have to include more than just him (I believe we are taking on cap to boot)

I also think Gillis will push for a 1st and or a 2nd to be included in any sort of deal (unless its something like what Florida offers with 1 or 2 young players).

Washington might also be a trading partner for Edler, maybe they would offer Wilson & more in a package or if they have any other highly rated prospects

Archived