The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Discussing Edler for Franzen Trade w/ Detroit, Interest in Gaborik/Vanek/Moulson, Calls on Kesler

Man your valuing Kesler so wrongly its terrible.

Take a step back past numbers, Kesler is one of our top 3 players.

He plays 20+ minutes a game, he dominates the face off dot, he goes hard every shift, he anchors our second line, and pushed our PP to its highest heights in 2011. He has beasted for us in playoff series showing he can elevate his game.

He forechecks, back checks, shuts down top lines and has won a Selke award.

And you are telling me he is worth a low 1st round pick, a small offensive prospect who hasnt proven a thing yet in the NHL, and a goalie prospect.. To a powerhouse in our conference?

Would you say Bergeron would be traded for more or less than Kesler? He has scored only 70 pts once in his career? Same draft year as Kes too?

Would St Louis trade backes for a similar package to that? He has never scored over 62 pts?

I am just baffffffled by this trade offer, if Gillis made this I would give up on the canucks for a cple years, it would be god awful

Except for the 20+mins a game, literally everything you mentioned is the 26 year old Ryan Kesler from '10-'11. You can't get the same value for Kesler now that you could have gotten for him after that season. If you honestly think Gillis would get more than a 1st, and a couple of young players/prospects then your Kesler-coloured glasses have blinded you. But, by all means, tell us what you think Gillis could get for Kesler if he decides to deal him at the TDL.

Would be almost impossible to get Tavares. We would need to give up Kesler, Edler, Horvat, Jensen, 1st(2014), and a 1st(2015)

I came up with a couple ideas although that's realisticly solid value for Tavares, but too much for us and would just gut our depth. Would a 3-team trade be possible for a scenario like this?

Keslers going nowhere.. this shouldnt even be a discussion.. We are not rebuilding, and we are not dealing any roster players unless its edler/garrison for top 6 fwd+++, or Hansen part of a package deal.. thats it.. why do so many people want to deal Kes anyway? He's happy here, he has the biggest heart on the team, and he's irreplaceable.. Only time we can deal him is when Horvat and Gaunce are ready.. not NHL ready (probably next year), but ready to log Kesler minutes

Scouting? are you kidding me? Look at Team Canada. Our top D paring are both second rounders. (Keith and Weber) And what do people say about Datsyuk and Zetterberg before the draft?

And back to that trade. So you mean you're not going to take that deal if it's on the table? You need to give your head a shake.

I'm not even expecting the 3 to turn out to be generational talents. I will be god damn happy if they turn out to be something along the line like ROR, RNH and PK Subban.

The proposal was Edler, Kesler and Lack, for Reinhart, Strome and a 1st?

No I dont take it.

BTW Subban is a 220 lb 24 year old Norris trophy winner > A generational talent.

Edler is an occasional all star and a D man Reinhart is projected to become. If all goes well... Kesler will be an all star 3 times, possibly as many as 5 in his career. Already has a Selke, nominated 2 more times. A top 5 defensive forward in the NHL right now with a 20 goal season in an off year? Strome does not project that.

Lets bank 1 in 20 we win the lotto with their pick and call it a good deal?

In exchange for Edler, forget names like Mantha Tatar Abdelkader and Nyquist.. Here is a more reaslistic 3 player+pick package we could get for Edler:

A.)

-Frk, Mckinnon and Drouin's memorial cup linemante, still a baby in the AHL

-Pulkinnen, NHL ready

-Jarnkrok, pretty talented young swede, Detroits good at finding those, a bit weak though

-Callahan, Great shot, mean dude, love him.. watch this guy play he's gonna be a stud.. one of my favorite prospects

-Nestrasil, never seen him play but apparently solid prospect

-Glendenning, seen him play some great games with the wings

B.)

-Smith/Lashoff/Kindl to immediately replace Edler

-Ouellet/Almquist or Sproul/Marchenko. Lefties vs. Righties... If Hamhuis/Garrsion/Stanton/Alberts are healthy, we can go young with one these guys instead of Smith/Lashoff/Kindl

C.)

-Franzen is the best of the guys whos salary matches Edlers (Weiss , Quincey).. Could fit Sedin line well.. net presence would really help PP.. playing with the twins might spark him n get him back to his playoff dominance

D.)-Pick, 1st if its something like Tvrdon+Franzen+1st...2nd/3rd if we get a guy like Sproul.... no pick if we get jurco or sheahan

So instead of thinking we can pull off Edler for Mantha+Tatar+1st+2nd, consider one of the other many options.. Theres tons of great youth in that team, and there are plenty of different swaps that could be included..Upgrade, but we'd get older, or downgrade and get younger.. Or some swaps can be made to even salary, or even out the trade

*Booth and Tootoo which favors us

*Hansen for Eaves which favors them

*Schroeder for Emmerton/Ferraro if we wanna get bigger

*If we want to get a 3C right now for Schroeder, we can go for Helm or Andersson which will cost us

edler for franzen gillis loses his job. terrible trade for vancouver that doesn't address any of vancouvers needs not to mention the team get older and slower.as for trading kesler, thats pointless because we then need to get a #2 center in return so there would be no upgrade unless there is some ridiculous package deal with multiple players going both directions which in the cap era just doesn't happen. not to mention these guys would have to waive the NTC so right away there value goes down since the opposing gm knows that he has a team that player would be willing to go to. there might be some minor deals but i wouldn't expect anything major this season just media driven garbage but what else is new.

Here's my Detroit trade:

Edler, Hansen, Booth, Weber

For

Franzen, Smith, Mantha, Bertuzzi

Detroit can throw in Tootoo for cap reasons if need be. Bertuzzi, Franzen and Booth have next to no value due to contract and/or age.

Wouldn't mind mantha and smith, Franzen for cap reasons... But Bertuzzi...? no thanks, I doubt he would want to come back to the canucks...

Archived