The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Shaw was almost 20 when he was drafted by the Hawks. Almost 21 by the time he played for them.

Big difference between that and an 18 year old.

All people see is him dominating against 17 and 18 year olds, and don't realize it's a big step up between that and playing that game in the NHL. Just ask guys like Kassian or Connolly. He's probably going to have to work on getting faster on his skates like most young power forwards, because you can't coast around in the NHL as much as in junior.

Fair points, I won't deny that.. I was just saying you can't write a players capabilities off with such guarantees. Even though shaw was older, the kid wasn't supposed to step in and make an impact like that. Really no player is, but some actually do... You never know, maybe we draft Ritchie and he blows the roof off Rogers arena with a Calder.

Right.

No, I'm sorry. It is not.

You can form your own opinions from your available information and experience but don't feel obliged to speak for everyone, please.

It's not for you to state what people do and do not realize. I've seen him play dozens of games, some live, and I form my opinion from that experience and from watching decades of junior players. We've already ascertained that you've never seen him play yet you continue to parrot other people's incorrect report that he needs to work on his foot speed. His skating is not a deficiency.

In my assessment, he is pretty close to being able to play amongst men. I'm not predicting he makes the jump but I'm also not ruling it out. He's that close. And that's my opinion from watching him and knowing full well the difference between the OHL, AHL and NHL.

Speak for yourself, not for other people.

I think McKenzie was going for that same joke in the article about Foegele: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=441117

Still, he has ridiculous stats going back to when he was 15 and 5'8" playing against seniors.

LMAO one guys comment on tsn is : sooo his nick name will be McLuvin!! Love it

Looks like an interesting late 2nd round pick early 3rd in my opinion, or like bobby mac said an off the board first rounder

Thanks for sharing this guys never heard of this guy!

I wonder if Linden will go for a character guy like McCann now?

Or maybe he will see the potential in Ehlers and make the decision to move that way.

At least we know Linden will want character guys on the team, and I have more confidence in him choosing someone with the right stuff, especially a skill player cause he will know the type of attitude it takes having played with some of the best skill players in his career.

Whats the scoop on McCann? I know he was a high pick in the OHL draft but not real sure of his playing style.

Is he a strong two way player or is he offensive/defensive, you got any insight on him?

Whats the scoop on McCann? I know he was a high pick in the OHL draft but not real sure of his playing style.

Is he a strong two way player or is he offensive/defensive, you got any insight on him?

Watch his highlight videos, to see flashes of his speed vision and high end skill

Kid is a natural leader, solid two way player, plays hard in all 3 zones, strong character, was once touted in same range as McDavid, obviously McDavid has differentiated himself far far away from Jared now, but he has all the intangibles that would translate into a big NHL game in my opinion, he will just need time to develop.

His playing style would aim to emulate bergeron I would think. I have only watched a few full games of him play but he competes hard, battles for the puck, goes to the dirty areas, and can really use his speed to separate himself from the D, he also has decent vision and IQ as he finds open areas.

I think next year his numbers would improve quite a bit, and surround him with some high end talent he would be a top scorer next season, MY opinion, and I really like his game

The Flames won.

They keep our hopes for 4th alive, now we need to do our part!

In response to Ehlers weight and Height there are way to many discrepancies on all the sites:

Heights: 5 10, 5 11, 5 11.5, 5 11.75, 6, 6 1... I have seen all of these, and some may have been right at one time some may wrong its tough.

Weights range from 159-184

I am guessing he is around 5 11- 6 ft in height currently

An for his weight I a guessing he has gone from 162-164 --> 172-174 currently

Based off how he looks and everything. Just from growing up and maturing the next two years he will gain 5-10 pounds and if he makes a conscience effort to add muscle while keeping his agility and explosiveness I see no reason why over the next 2-3 years a 6ft 185 pound speed/skilled based player wouldnt be a very conservative projection.

I am torn with ranking Ehlers, he is one of the most exhilarating prospects I have ever seen, just ridiculously explosive and creative and skilled.

It will be very intersting to see how scouts differentiate : Ehlers/Nylander/Kapanen

And same for Ritchie/Perlini/Virtanen

Those two trios in my opinion rankings will be very subjective!

If Ehlers weighed 185lbs instead of the supposed 170ish would he be in the top 5?

A couple months ago I was really against taking Ehlers but when you think about how good he could be with his speed and skill he is very intriguing. There are lots of player that are 5'11" in the NHL so really all there is to worry about is his weight which can be improved much easier than a players height.

If we get one of Ehlers, Ritchie, Fleury, or Kapanen I will be happy.

If Ehlers weighed 185lbs instead of the supposed 170ish would he be in the top 5?

A couple months ago I was really against taking Ehlers but when you think about how good he could be with his speed and skill he is very intriguing. There are lots of player that are 5'11" in the NHL so really all there is to worry about is his weight which can be improved much easier than a players height.

If we get one of Ehlers, Ritchie, Fleury, or Kapanen I will be happy.

I think the concensus is that if he north american or from sweden or finland and he weighed more he would be 1st overall.

Some GMs have come out and said they think hes a top 3 or 5 guy, Tallon has compared taking Kane a similiar risk to taking Ehlers.

Ehlers looks like he has NHL game breaking talent, which Power Aids is right, that does not grow on trees.

And Merci keeps raising the overall team size issue, but not all teams are built like SJ LA Boston Anaheim, we are more of a Detroit and Chicago model in my opinion.

This year we were relatively a large team, how did that work for us? We need to have a blend of size speed skill, and if Ehlers is the BPA when we pick then so be it.

I see what you are saying Merci and I am not saying your wrong but players with Ehlers skills/vision/talent/passion/speed etc etc they win games. and his only issue is strength and weight. Both can easily be taught planned and executed on, through a well thought out plan, dedication/commitment to the plan and time.

I am at the point with Ehlers where I have him ranked 6th in my mind now:

Ekblad

Reinhart/Bennett (Coin flip)

Draisaitl

Dal Colle

Ehlers

Then a jumbled mix between Ritchie/Perlini/Virtanen/Nylander

Then McCann

Fleury

Kapanen

Scherbak

Tuch

Barbashev

Pastrnak

Fiala

Goldobin (Value risk after 15)

Kempe

Milano

Larkin

McKeown

Fabbri

Deangelo

Honka

Ho Sang

Schmaltz

Vrana

Demko

Ehlers has great speed but he doesn't wow me in any other category.

I'm with others, if we end up in the 7-11 range, lets grab Virtanen, he's something special.

He has unbelievable vision, passing, an eye popping shot, ridiculous stick handler, amazing skating speed, if his shot and stick handling dont garner your attention you may wish to either A) watch some full games, I was guilty of this before Jan, because all he does is WOW me.

I like Virtanen a lot as well, only thing is both these guys need years of development, they both will need 2 for sure 3 prolly and 4 maybe before impacting the team. Guys like Leon and Michael even Ritchie look like they could make an immediate jump or are 1 year away.

I really am hoping We lose lose lose, and Calgary keeps on winnnnning! Top 5 pick is what this organization needs!

Look I haven't watched him play at all so this is just my opinion based off of highlights.

Yes he is fast and does have great vision, but once he puts on weight I could see the outcome of him not transitioning well.

Basically I could see him being a bust, just my opinion though, like I said I haven't watched him play.

So comparing the two, I see more potential in Virtanen, I've never seen someone at that age shrug people off like that and still maintain speed and momentum.

Plus he's got skill in a lot of category's and the weight necessary to transition into the NHL

I just think he's a safe pick, and has LOTS of potential.

With all that being said, I still hope we trade up to the top 5.

Archived