The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

man the shot this kid has is insane. Those back hands are unreal and that one where he toe drags the puck in close to his leg and then quickly releases a rocket into the top corner, wow. He also seems very deceptive in the way he scores. lots of look the other way and rifle a high velocity wrister exactly where he wanted it.

I know right! Great higlight real by BigWhite, I'm pretty sure he's a member around here somewhere. The goal at 1:57 makes me laugh, he beats their entire team wide and then proceeds to high five the opposing bench, lol. Someone compared him to Perry and I can totally see it.

Trying to predict what Burke/Flames do at the draft

Knowing how his ego love to snag the spotlight, if he doesnt bully his way to picking Reinhart, I can also see Burke picking Fluery if he is available.

History has shown that one of the first things he does for his new team is drag a defenseman in.

Pronger in Hartford

Jovo to us

Neidermayer/Pronger in Anaheim

Phanuef in Toronto

Drafted Bryan Allen for us

Drafted Reilly for Toronto

I know right! Great higlight real by BigWhite, I'm pretty sure he's a member around here somewhere. The goal at 1:57 makes me laugh, he beats their entire team wide and then proceeds to high five the opposing bench, lol. Someone compared him to Perry and I can totally see it.

You posted earlier about no real flaws but this is a highlight package. im curious to know what his biggest flaws actually are. Theres no denying he's got high end goal scoring talent and hits hard but is that all he's got? Almost seems to me to be a bit of a one man army. Im wondering how much he actually passes the puck... Im not knocking him, just curious as to how complete of a game he has

Knowing how his ego love to snag the spotlight, if he doesnt bully his way to picking Reinhart, I can also see Burke picking Fluery if he is available.

History has shown that one of the first things he does for his new team is drag a defenseman in.

Pronger in Hartford

Jovo to us

Phanuef in Toronto

you know that actually really wouldnt surprise me. Looking at their depth on hockeys future(i know theyre a lil bushleague but still) They have a ton of left wingers. 2 they got in the iggy trade, gadreau baertchi. they also drafted klimchuck late in the first round. A little low on right wingers but they got poirier in the first round last year.

So if Dal Colle is the last man standing of our projected top 5, they may pass and go for fluery or virtanen. If its draisaitl i think they might take him, depending on how good jankowski or max reinhart really is.

Burke does love his dmen though as luke schenn was at one time worth 10 first round picks haha

Pronger in Hartford

Jovo to us

Phanuef in Toronto

looking back, in the years where we stunk in the late 90s, early 2000s - we drafted some real duds with very high picks

-bryan allen and josh holden come to mind

bryan allen 4 - ouch

brad ference - 10

josh holden -12

and looking through the 80s and early 90s is actually worse

-Jim sandlak - 4th

Nedved - 2nd

Dan woodley

JJ deigneault

Libor polasek

I have to stop now

Picking 6/7, Im confident that we get a good player. I think there will be a few surprise picks, one being Fluery picked by Coilers if Ekblad is gone. Also Ehlers could go to Buffalo with their NYI pick. My money is actually on Fla oicking Ehlers. They have enough young horses in the middle. Snagging Ehlers on the wing is right up their alley

If we do end up trading Kesler, and it looks as if we will, and get Otts 1st from Ana...we could use that to send to Winnipeg in a package for Kane

If we keep that pick, I would be happy walkin away with Ritchie and Virtanen. Im confident anyone in the top 10 is a safe pick

needs:

1.a young top D man

ekblad or fleury

2.a top line C - who could that be

any of Reinahrt, MDC, Bennet, Draisatl, but more likely Nyalnder, Mccann will be around when we pick :(

3.More top end skill on the wings

-Kapanen, ehlers, nylander

4.I would like a least one more player with size and physicality in our top 6

-Ritchie, Virtanen, Mccann

It will be tough to choose

looking back, in the years where we stunk in the late 90s, early 2000s - we drafted some real duds with very high picks

bryan allen 4 - ouch

brad ference - 10

josh holden -12

-Jim sandlak - 4th

Nedved - 2nd

Dan woodley

JJ deigneault

Libor polasek

I have to stop now

hey....Daignault wasnt a bad pick....was a servicable pick for years and even won a cup

the rest you named....ya....tear jerkers for sure.

bryan allen 4 - ouch

brad ference - 10

josh holden -12

-Jim sandlak - 4th

Nedved - 2nd

Dan woodley

JJ deigneault

Libor polasek

I have to stop now

Maybe you should look back at Allan's draft year and ask yourself again if that was a bad pick

I was thinking Virtanen kinda reminded me of a young iginla. Compared their numbers and theyre quite similar

jake

Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM 2013-14 Regular Season Calgary Hitmen 71 45 26 71 23 100 2012-13 Regular Season Calgary Hitmen 62 16 18 34 25 67

Iggy drafted in 95

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM 1993-94 Kamloops Blazers WHL 48 6 23 29 33 19 3 6 9 10 1994-95 Kamloops Blazers WHL 72 33 38 71 111 21 7 11 18 34 1995-96 Kamloops Blazers WHL 63 63 73 136 120

imagine we draft jake and he puts up 136 points next year haha

Jake doesn't have the mental ability to put up 136 points. He's barely PPG in the W playing on a good Calgary team. Unless he gets some real quality line mates and improves his passing he will be a player in the mold of David Booth, more skill and speed, but they will play similar types of games.

You got to remember he plays on a really poor Niagara team.

I don't know, just watching his highlights you can tell he has that offensive instinct. He knows where to be on the ice to score goals, and is always open for the pass. His wristshot is probably the best in the draft, IMO. Quick release, reminds me a lot like Joe Sakic's wrister or Naslund's.

I think Ritchie has a better shot, aswell as possibly Kapanen, Nylander & Ehlers.

I just see his game as a solid two-way player, good shot, uses his size effectively, but not alot of creativity, I mean he can pass & and stuff but aside from his shot I don't see any of his other offensive attributes as high end like some others.

I see people still severely underrate Kapanen on this board.

I would even take him if he was available at 7th. He seems like the safest pick out of Ehlers (I'd still pick him over Kapanen), Perlini, Ritchie and Nylander.

Virtanen would be a safe pick, but I don't think his ceiling is very high.

I hope we pick one of Ehlers, Kapanen, or Virtanen (in that order).

edit: spelling

Same here, I think he will end up being a steal if he goes outside the top 10. And I agree with him being a safe pick in that he's more likely to still be a really good player than other guys like a Virtanen or Ehlers even if he doesn't hit his max potential.

With the way Finnish hockey has come along and all the top prospects/players they have been developing recently (Ristolanien, Maatta, Taravienen, Barkov, exc.) I think Kapanen is just going to be another one to add to that list.

He's got alot too him, high end skill, great hockey sense, speed, game breaking ability, playmaking ability, great shot, can be an asset on the PP, and with his work ethic & competitive ness he can improve on his weakness.

Sure. Here's a few more I just finished as well as Kapanen's:

Kasperi Kapanen - 6'0'', 180 - LW - KalPa (SM-liiga)

+ Elite puck handling skills, creative hands

+ Great hockey sense, vision and playmaking ability

+ High end foot speed with great lateral movement

- Shot needs added velocity

- Game lacks physicality

Note: Logged big minutes playing alongside his father, former NHL'er Sami Kapanen for KalPa.

I think more could be said about his competitiveness aswell.

So Haydn Fleury isn't afraid to carry the puck up ice eh? How is his speed? Can it translate to the NHL. If it can, we need him. On that attribute alone, I would really think hard on taking him. This team stopped being a threat off the rush after losing Ehrhoff. We need that back if we want to be elite again. Plain and simple!

I don't think he's going to be a player that will be able to bring what Ehrhoff brought.

Ive seen some. Its mostly highlites of him blowing by other players and scroring. not much to see

to be honest if we are going to draft a speedy euro winger I rather have Nylander. He's already playing with men.

I wouldn't. Nylander doesn't try as hard defensively, from what I understand isn't as good in the corners & dirty areas, he's fast (not as fast as Ehlers) has a great shot & good hands, but after that not much else. alot of holes in his game. I would prefer Kapanen or Ehlers over him.

Jake doesn't have the mental ability to put up 136 points. He's barely PPG in the W playing on a good Calgary team. Unless he gets some real quality line mates and improves his passing he will be a player in the mold of David Booth, more skill and speed, but they will play similar types of games.

Have you watched him much or just going off his highlight reel and assist totals? Not being rude, I'm just curious as I've been wanting to hear someone's opinion who frequently attends hitmen games.

That's the general feeling I get about him doing internet research too. I wanna find out if he really is that one dimensional or if he is a good passer but has so much success driving it home himself he usually just goes that route.

Not expecting him to actually score 136 points, but then again did they expect iggy to after scoring the same amount as jake in his draft year? Probably not, that's an insane season.

I'd expect Virtanen to put up close to 100 next year though as he gets a year older. He's not ranked 6th on CSS for nothin

Have you watched him much or just going off his highlight reel and assist totals? Not being rude, I'm just curious as I've been wanting to hear someone's opinion who frequently attends hitmen games.

That's the general feeling I get about him doing internet research too. I wanna find out if he really is that one dimensional or if he is a good passer but has so much success driving it home himself he usually just goes that route.

Not expecting him to actually score 136 points, but then again did they expect iggy to after scoring the same amount as jake in his draft year? Probably not, that's an insane season.

I'd expect Virtanen to put up close to 100 next year though as he gets a year older. He's not ranked 6th on CSS for nothin

the more highlights I watch and such...the more im hoping that this is the guy we draft. He is the youngest of the pwf's and hopefully he still grows an inch or 2

Archived