The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Players that scored around 100 points in the Q in their draft year:

2011 - Jonathan Huberdeau (105 points in 67 games) taken 3rd

- Sean Couturier (96 points in 58 games) taken 8th

2013 - Jonathan Drouin (105 points in 49 games) taken 3rd

2014 - Nikolaj Ehlers (104 points in 63 games)

I know there are things to look at other than numbers but I think Ehlers is a pretty solid at 6th, especially considering the other players likely to be available. However, body type will probably end up being the deciding factor for the Canucks as they already have Shinkaruk with an ectomorph body.

edit: With so many players to choose from, it's going to be fun seeing the results of the combine this year.

They all had some more meat on the bones if ya know what I meen. But strong points, Couts went 8th though you know pretty shocking was a decent top 10 in 2011. and agree combine will be great and illuminating!

Thing is people cant discount the added exposure players will be receiving now from both U18 and Memorial Cup playoffs

Ehlers and Dal Colle are getting extra extra attention now as they are still playing, both could go all the way, added eyes/exposure could bump them in draft rankings.

Hunter Smith is getting noticed now and his draft stock is rising from the playoffs, same with Lemeuix is stock has risen a bit now since the start of the playoffs.

Same goes to U18 participants who are first round draft bound:

Canada

Perlini,Virtanen, Fleury, Mcann

Also McKeown, Bleackley but they are later first rounders

Sweden

Kempe - Nylander - A.Karlsson That is their top line..

Finland

Kapanen

USA

TUCH,Larkin, Milano

Glover, Dougherty --> most likley early 2nd round guys

All these guys could really drive their stock up before the draft, hoping Dal Colle doesnt drive his up too much... as him at 6th would make me a happy guy!

All we need is Florida, Calgary or NYI to take one of Ehlers/Kapanen/Nylander and we will be guaranteed 1 of Draisaitl or MDC

I know there are things to look at other than numbers but I think Ehlers is a pretty solid at 6th, especially considering the other players likely to be available. However, body type will probably end up being the deciding factor for the Canucks as they already have Shinkaruk with an ectomorph body.

edit: With so many players to choose from, it's going to be fun seeing the results of the combine this year.

Ehler only 1 point behind Huberdeau in 4 less games. And look how good Huberdeau was last year (And I'll bet he rebounds from this season and has another good year next year) Pretty impressive.

And for the doubters about Ehlers, Huberdeau weighed 171 coming into the draft (which is around where I think Ehlers will be at the combine) and how he's 188.

Just give Ehlers time to develop and get stronger & he will be a hell of a player.

I was against drafting Ehlers but you cannot argue iwth 49 goals.

Sure if his points were mostly assists you can say he plays with Drouin. But 49 goals is no fluke in the CHL.

We need pure goal scorers/talent going forward with the sedins aging.

And with Horvat being the only young center we have as gaunce probably will play wing or a bottom 6 role, we should aim at a center too.

1) 6th pick- Ehlers

2) Top 10 pick from trade- Mccann or Virtanen

Also with Virtanen, he has 45 goals in the lower scoring WHL. With him and Ehlers we'd have the 2 highest goal scorers in the draft.

But I'd rather go with Mccann as he played on a bad team and looks like another Horvat clutch type player that can dominate a game with his 2 way game.

I'm not certain why there's so much love for Ehlers here when there are clearly better players available at #6.

Chances are one of the top-5 will fall. You'd pick him, not somebody from the middle of the first round. In what universe does it make sense to pick Ehlers with the 6th?

Honestly I could see Buffalo taking Draistl

I read an article (don't know how credible) that said they thought he was the best out of the top 5.

If the order remains Buffalo or Florida first

Buf Draistl

Flo Ekblad

Edm Sam

NYI Dal Colle

Calgary Ritchie

Van Sam

I actually really think this is possible for some odd reason.

Either Bennet or Reinhart making their way to the Canucks.

Either that or EDM trades their pick to us for so they can take Fleury with the 6th.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/04/13/buffalo-sabres-gm-tim-murray-not-sure-if-aaron-ekblad-is-a-franchise-player/

CALL ME CRAZY!

CANUCKS ARE PICKING REINHART OR BENNETT at 6!!!!!

I don't think Burke would pass up on Reinhart, especially considering how theres already a Reinhart in the Calgary org.

Was pretty pissed when the Kings drafted Schenn.

Other Q players to do that: Steve Bernier, Zack Phillips and Francois Bouchard. The latter two are built more like Ehlers and are busts.

I'm not certain why there's so much love for Ehlers here when there are clearly better players available at #6.

Chances are one of the top-5 will fall. You'd pick him, not somebody from the middle of the first round. In what universe does it make sense to pick Ehlers with the 6th?

What's your reasoning for not picking the highest goal scorer in the draft?

Size is an issue now but he's probably not going to be on the canucks for another couple of years.

Also Giroux was passed on in the draft due to being undersized and from a 'soft' junior league. Very similar players/stature to Ehlers.

I doubt it, Draisaitl is such a highly touted prospect I would imagine alot of scouts go to watch him alot of times, and if they can't get there watch online.

What is it about Nylander you like so much? And what are his weaknesses?

I'm assuming you mean't "don't like so much"?

Nevertheless I changed my opinion, I think he's solid but I do worry about his defensive game.

Initially l felt like we should continue building on the big fast talented forwards template we've got going, but at the same time we do need some projected top line talent and I think balance in the lineup is better overall than just one style.

Edit: But I still think trading up should be our number one priority

I was against drafting Ehlers but you cannot argue iwth 49 goals.

Sure if his points were mostly assists you can say he plays with Drouin. But 49 goals is no fluke in the CHL.

We need pure goal scorers/talent going forward with the sedins aging.

And with Horvat being the only young center we have as gaunce probably will play wing or a bottom 6 role, we should aim at a center too.

1) 6th pick- Ehlers

2) Top 10 pick from trade- Mccann or Virtanen

Also with Virtanen, he has 45 goals in the lower scoring WHL. With him and Ehlers we'd have the 2 highest goal scorers in the draft.

But I'd rather go with Mccann as he played on a bad team and looks like another Horvat clutch type player that can dominate a game with his 2 way game.

If we were to get another top 10 pick I would go for Kapanen, add some more high end skill, he's got great skill, great bloodlines, great work ethic/drive/attitude, great skater, and with the way Fins have been coming along lately he seems like he's going to be the next great young finnish player (along the lines of Ristolanien, Taravinen, Barkov, exc)

McCann has talent, but like you said he's comparable to Horvat, so I would rather grab someone different especially since we have Gaunce & Cassels who are already two-way players aswell.

Virtanen I'm just not sold on at all. The problems people have raised about David Booth are the same issues I would attribute to him, thats who I would compare him too.

If one of the top 5 drop then they are the obvious choice.

If not Ehlers clearly is among the very best skaters (I would say the best) and best offensive players in the draft. We need offense, he's rated around that #6 pick. How does it not make sense to take him?

Also Canucks should try to get a second top 10 pick through a Kesler or Edler package and get Jared Mccann.

Big/strong 2 way hockey player that plays very similar to Horvat.

Going forward we have no prospect depth at center besides horvat, gaunce but he seems like more of a bottom 6 guy.

Looking at potential youth movement going forward:

Shinkaruk Horvat Kassian

Ehlers Mccann Jensen

Fox Matthias

Hoping the new GM snags a young player like Etem/Theodore(Ducks), Jurco/Sheahan(Wings) and our youth looks very promising.

I'm assuming you mean't "don't like so much"?

Nevertheless I changed my opinion, I think he's solid but I do worry about his defensive game.

Initially l felt like we should continue building on the big fast talented forwards template we've got going, but at the same time we do need some projected top line talent and I think balance in the lineup is better overall than just one style.

Edit: But I still think trading up should be our number one priority

I just wanted to know more about him, both pros and cons.

From what I understand (not a ton) he's got a great shot, good skater, good hands, can pass, but seems to be soft, not good in the corners, might have questions about attitude/work ethic (which could hinder his abliity to develop a better two-way game in the future which I worry less about with Ehlers & Kapanen), just seems to have good skills but alot of holes in his game. Seems like a really risky pick.

I hope someone top 5 takes Ehlers will be an explosion on here, told ya this, told ya that, hallelujah someones gonna slip to us etc

Have to agree no way Calgary passes on sam reinhart if somehow he slipped

Only player in top 5 I could see slipping is Leon Draisaitl and that is because of where he plays, he is german, he had an uneventful and short stint in the playoffs and Reinhart, Bennett, Ekblad, Dal Colle are just locked in for sure.

Both Sams have had amazing seasons, Ekblad is 1 of 4 exceptional ohl talents: Tavares, Ekblad, McDavid and now Sean Day, pretty high pedigree players!

Dal Colle is having an awesome playoffs and is most likley going to continue on rolling impressing scouts.

Same as Reinhart,

I could really see one of: Ehlers/Nylander/Kapanen by rising their stock through: Memorial Cup Run/U18/U18 exceptional performances,, squeezing out Draisaitl to us at 6th

-- Which I would love.

Ehler only 1 point behind Huberdeau in 4 less games. And look how good Huberdeau was last year (And I'll bet he rebounds from this season and has another good year next year) Pretty impressive.

And for the doubters about Ehlers, Huberdeau weighed 171 coming into the draft (which is around where I think Ehlers will be at the combine) and how he's 188.

Just give Ehlers time to develop and get stronger & he will be a hell of a player.

In my opinion Ekblad and Ehlers are the only 2 players with true superstar potential in the entire draft. There are a lot of solid guy s like Dal Colle and Draisaitl , Bennett and Reinhart.

The dark horse to really be a difference maker in the NHL is Nylander.

Hypothetically: We win Lotto, EDM offers us ( INSERT HERE) for 1st overall for Ekblad

The deal would obviously have to include their third overall pick, but what else would it take for you to do the trade?

I have Ekblad ranked first, so for me it would take quite a bit. and it would have to have Darnell Nurse coming our way.

No way on earth would I want them to have a future of Nurse and Ekblad cracking in our forwards skulls while having their developed superstar F's buzzing round

And I would take whatever Sam wasnt taken although Dal Colle would be very tempting.

I'd really want either Draisailt or Dal Colle....

We totally need a top scoring line to eventually replace the Sedins in few years. We needed this for a long time. Really want Bennett or Reinhardt. Probably won't get them, MFC or Draisailt will do :) Don't know who else after that. Knowing Linden character is going to be a big factor in determining the players rated 6-12.

If the picks stays status quo,there will be a few intrigue. First, does Florida or Buffalo picks Ekblad,or do they make a deal to Edmonton who are desperate need of defense. Then there is the NY Islanders factor. Do they keep the pick or give to Buffalo? If they keep, who does Snow want? He can be iffy in his picks (or his scouts are )

Archived