The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think you guys are mixing up what he is saying, he is comparing Ehlers now, to Hemsky of his draft year, not the Hemsky now or the hemsky who has played in the NHL ya know?

And that is why he said he is wary

If you guys have forgotten, Hemsky has had unbelievable flashes of brilliance over his career, unbelievably skilled, and even the great one said if anyone was to break his record it would be hemsky oh lord was he wrong lol, but it shows how skilled he was when he was drafted

Nylander is one of my favorites for players we'll likely be available to pick. He's probably a little more of a risk, but he's already playing against men and has tremendous offensive potential. It's at the point where I think we need to take the chance instead of making the "safest pick" in guys like Horvat and Gaunce. I think those guys will be a big part of our team, but we've got enough 2-way guys now, it's time to take a chance!

I'm not a fan of Nick Ritchie at all, a 6'3" 230 pound player who is able to do well in junior doesn't really catch my eye. I think he'll struggle adapting to pro, but that's just my gut feeling and isn't really based on anything at all. Dominating men at that size is a lot more difficult than the boys he is playing against now.

Kapanen compared to Nylander is the "safer" pick, more complete, defensive forward he plays a two-way game with smart hockey sense but Nylander is the more flashy, skill player, he is an offensive wizard with very high vision and hockey IQ.

Nylander with the higher ceiling/potential but Kapanen being the safe pick.

I feel with Ehlers that something is missing in his game (offensively). Can he utilize his teammates? Does he have the hockey IQ and smarts to compete in the NHL, does he have the will to win?

I don't see the Hemsky comparison at all, Ehlers is a much better skater and uses his skating ability so effectively with & without the puck to create offense, Hemsky doesn't have the same skating ability (not saying his skating ability is bad) and doesn't use it the same way.

Among others things like Absent Canuck said.

Babashev I totally agree on, I could see him as a late 1st but if he's available at our 2nd rounder I would take him there.

Hemsky was possibly the best skater in the Q that year. That's one of the main reasons he was the top forward taken from the Q that year.

At that point he was able to do anything on the ice and his size was not a factor. He was a far more physical player when he was younger, before his injuries.

I can't see Barbashev dropping below 20 and that's with the Russian factor. If he was Canadian, and he plays that way…. almost Finnish, he would be in the top 15 for sure. There is little risk with his style. At worst he's Ruslan Fedotenko and even he won a Cup.

I would be ecstatic if we got Draistl. He put up over 100 points despite not really have any big name line mates (like Ehlers has Drouin.)

Oh and he's 6'1 209lbs.

Same points as Reinhart, more than Dal Colle.

I think you guys are mixing up what he is saying, he is comparing Ehlers now, to Hemsky of his draft year, not the Hemsky now or the hemsky who has played in the NHL ya know?

And that is why he said he is wary

Ya I understand that. I don't neccisarily think it means they end up the same though.

Kapanen compared to Nylander is the "safer" pick, more complete, defensive forward he plays a two-way game with smart hockey sense but Nylander is the more flashy, skill player, he is an offensive wizard with very high vision and hockey IQ.

Nylander with the higher ceiling/potential but Kapanen being the safe pick.

I feel with Ehlers that something is missing in his game (offensively). Can he utilize his teammates? Does he have the hockey IQ and smarts to compete in the NHL, does he have the will to win?

I think your underplaying Kapanen's offensive game, Kapanen is a great skater, possibly better than Nylander overall (I would lean to giving Kapanen the advantage but admittedly I've had trouble getting a great grasp on Nylander) I see shooting ability as atleast the same, both with great hands, both good passers/playmakers, and I don't think the gap is huge, I think the part that plays in Kapanen's favour is he's great on the PP, and he's got more drive and competitiveness to battle, go to the corners & play a two-way game. I think he is safer, but I don't think that means his potential is alot farther behind Nylanders.

Hemsky was possibly the best skater in the Q that year. That's one of the main reasons he was the top forward taken from the Q that year.

At that point he was able to do anything on the ice and his size was not a factor. He was a far more physical player when he was younger, before his injuries.

I can't see Barbashev dropping below 20 and that's with the Russian factor. If he was Canadian, and he plays that way…. almost Finnish, he would be in the top 15 for sure. There is little risk with his style. At worst he's Ruslan Fedotenko and even he won a Cup.

Ya I see where you are coming from, I just don't think they have the same drive, and same willingness. I don't think Ehlers is a physical player, (like you say Hemsky was) he's just not afraid to go to those areas and do what it takes. And perhaps injuries have as much to do with Hemsky becoming less effective as much as changing his style, which seems to be more about dangling and playmaking either way, yes he has a good shot, but I don't think if your a sniper like Ehlers your game will magically change into an offensive game about dangling and playmaking like Hemskys. Just my opinion though. I would take the chance on Ehlers.

I do agree on Barbashev, he's got alot of tools, someone else brought up the "at worst" kulemin comparison which I agree with. (at worst) He's just good in so many areas that I don't see him dropping out of the first round either.

Same points as Reinhart, more than Dal Colle.

Looking a little closer at Draistl's team stats...

Draistl (105pts) next 2 forwards in scoring have 61 and 44 points respectively.

Dall Colle's (95 pts) next two forwards in scoring: 87 and 73 (Cassels :emot-parrot: ) points respectively

Ehlers (104 pts) next two: 108 and 80 points respectively.

For fun I guess ill throw in Bennett and Reinhart too:

Bennett: (91 pts) next two: 70 and 68 points respectively.

Reinhart: (105 pts) next two: 98 and 77 points respectively.

So based on my in depth analysis.. haha I'd probably take Draistl if Ekblad was taken 1st overall.

Ya I understand that. I don't neccisarily think it means they end up the same though.

I think your underplaying Kapanen's offensive game, Kapanen is a great skater, possibly better than Nylander overall (I would lean to giving Kapanen the advantage but admittedly I've had trouble getting a great grasp on Nylander) I see shooting ability as atleast the same, both with great hands, both good passers/playmakers, and I don't think the gap is huge, I think the part that plays in Kapanen's favour is he's great on the PP, and he's got more drive and competitiveness to battle, go to the corners & play a two-way game. I think he is safer, but I don't think that means his potential is alot farther behind Nylanders.

Ya I see where you are coming from, I just don't think they have the same drive, and same willingness. I don't think Ehlers is a physical player, (like you say Hemsky was) he's just not afraid to go to those areas and do what it takes. And perhaps injuries have as much to do with Hemsky becoming less effective as much as changing his style, which seems to be more about dangling and playmaking either way, yes he has a good shot, but I don't think if your a sniper like Ehlers your game will magically change into an offensive game about dangling and playmaking like Hemskys. Just my opinion though. I would take the chance on Ehlers.

I do agree on Barbashev, he's got alot of tools, someone else brought up the "at worst" kulemin comparison which I agree with. (at worst) He's just good in so many areas that I don't see him dropping out of the first round either.

It doesn't mean they'll end up the same, no doubt. It's anyone's guess. I just think there may be the same obstacles in Ehler's way that there was in Hemsky's. The fastest skater in the Q often turns out to be the 100th best skater in the NHL, at least until they come into their own. This holds true of every skill. It's rare that a draft pick enters the NHL with one of the top skills in the game. They go from being the best in their league to the average. The NHL is a collection of the best skills from every league, in every draft year, of the past 15 years.

Nylander has a much more evolved offensive game IMHO. Kapanen is the better hockey player right now because he contributes at every part of the ice. Nylander is a little one sided, though that can be taught to anyone with his skill. I still think Nylander's potential is much higher. Kapanen is safer. that's the scouting staff's prerogative.

Drive is always a question. Until you meet a player it's hard to get a full account. You'll have no argument from me how important a factor it is. My 'Big 3' are work ethic, skating and hockey sense. If you don't have even one of those three then you will never reach your potential.

As far as the change in his game, refer to what I said earlier. The best at something in the Q doesn't always translate. Especially when your draft year, like Hemsky's, isn't great. When you include the Q's loss of recent talent to the NHL, and the lack of great 17 year olds this year, it's not the greatest quality of competition this year.

I'll admit I'm bias for Nylander but most scouting reports you see between these 2 players they'll tell u that Nylander is the more skilled, offensively gifted player but that doesn't mean Kapanen is not good offensively because he is very good but I think between these 2 ayers it comes down to, do you want the player who is more risky and greater chance of failing or the safer pick with a greater chance of succeeding but not succeeding like how Nylander could possibly be.

I don't see Nylander failing, I see him becoming a NHL star and I see Kapanen has a 2nd line, strong, smart, safe and easy player like a Kesler and Nylander like a Parise or Kessel.

That doesn't make sense.

It doesn't really matter why teams choose not draft European skaters under 6' they just don't as the record clearly shows. I could guess that the reasons could be 1. different style of play 2. generally less games played 3. not scouted as thoroughly 4. concerns they might not come over to North America etc. But the point isn't really WHY NHL teams choose not to draft these types of players (I am sure they all have differing reasons) the fact is that they do not.

How does it not? Nylander is a projected top10 pick, even a projected top5 by some. YOU are arguing against scouts that actually know what they are doing, meanwhile you haven't seen anything of Nylander. Considering how weak this draft is, there's no way he drops out of the top10. There are no safe picks really outside the top5. You will be very disappointed when you're proven wrong at the draft cause Nylander will get drafted in the top10. Your research doesn't say anything. You're saying that Nylander won't go top10 simply because you "barely draft european players shorter than 6'0 because that's what the history says" even though you probably haven't seen anything of him. You didn't even know he's been playing regularly against men the whole season. The fact that you said that his numbers "isn't that good" says a lot. Why do people like you argue if you don't even know anything about the player? It's obvious you just want something to argue about.

Any consideration for Fleury with the 6th overall?

I don't know much about him, as i'm from the east, but I like the fact he's 6'2-6'3 and per Bob Mckenzie an excellent skater "Haydn's an excellent skater who uses it to his advantage very well. He's a smart defender who will transition the puck but is a real steady force on the blue line who steps up when it matters." He also put up more than 0.5PPG and +15 on a non playoff team.

With Jensen, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Cassels upfront and Hamhuis and Bieksa over 30 (GArrison, Edler close to it), who do we have in 2-3 years to replace them? Tanev and Corrado will be good 3-4 defenseman at best, but no one to play on that top pair and Fleury might be our best option.

I mean, if Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett or Dal Colle fall to #6 i think that a no brainer. But not completely sold yet on Draisaitl, Ehlers and i'm on the fence for Ritchie. I'm wondering if Ritchie is having success because he's 6'3 and he's playing against kids and wheter his game will translate in the NHL where 6'3 is just above average. Could be like Kassian, where we don't know yet if he's a Milan Lucic or just another 3rd-4th line players.

Anyways got sidetrack there my point is I want your opinion/comments on Fleury if we should even consider him.

Thanks.

Looking a little closer at Draistl's team stats...

Draistl (105pts) next 2 forwards in scoring have 61 and 44 points respectively.

Dall Colle's (95 pts) next two forwards in scoring: 87 and 73 (Cassels :emot-parrot: ) points respectively

Ehlers (104 pts) next two: 108 and 80 points respectively.

For fun I guess ill throw in Bennett and Reinhart too:

Bennett: (91 pts) next two: 70 and 68 points respectively.

Reinhart: (105 pts) next two: 98 and 77 points respectively.

So based on my in depth analysis.. haha I'd probably take Draistl if Ekblad was taken 1st overall.

when did making your linemates better stop being a valuable trait?

Here's a thought, does any top 5 team draft Thatcher Demko as they need a goalie enough, or does a top 5 go off the board leaving us Drasaitl or Dal Colle? (Or highly unlikely 1 of the top 3 fall to us)

That would be a big stretch. Demko is projected to go late 1st/early 2nd. They would likely try their luck and grab him with their second.

As for all the Ehlers/Hemsky comparisons, would anyone really be upset with that as the turnout? Hemsky is a really good player, and without the injuries, he may have been great. Easily a top 6 guy in the league, and top line for many teams - and if that is one of the negatives for Ehlers - that he could turn out like Hemsky - I would jump all over him at #6

If Vancouver does manage to get another pick in the top11, I would be gunning for Fleury with that second pick. Coming away with one of the big 5/Nylander/Ehlers + Fleury would be a HUGE boost to the organizational depth.

Biggest gaps at the moment being scoring wingers and bluechip dmen.

I've been researching these prospects for quite some time now. A lot more so than other years. But I have not made up my mind on who I would like to see picked.

Presuming the top 5 are gone, there appears to be a lot of different opinions on who we should take. But what I'm wondering is what worry people about Ritchie fundementally? The other players in his range have all had a weakness clearly identified. But with him all I hear over and over is that he's big and won't be able to use his size in the NHL.

Why won't he be able to use his size in the NHL? I hear he has good speed so it can't be that. Is his shot weak? does he lack hockey sense? Does he shy away from the physical game against bigger people? I would like a solid opinion on him that doesn't talk about him being too big.

I've read that he is weak defensivily. So I already know that and don't think it is a make or break deal. Defense can be taught and we have Horvat, Gaunce etc who are great in their own end. We need a player who can excel offensively in my opinion.

Archived