The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Except Booth will be gone most likely. He also can't shoot worth crap, so they're not really similar players other than good skating. Not that big players who can skate and shoot would ever be redundant.

Kesler would benefit from playing with a guy like Virtanen since they play a similar game. Kassian and Ritchie really aren't that different.

Either way, don't expect us to draft any of the Euros. Linden said he wants big players who play the game the "right way".

Hey DeNiro, do you know where you got that 'Linden said he wants big players' thing from?

Absent Canuck asked me for my source when I was saying I heard Linden say something similar (going to draft a big fast winger).

I spent an hour or so on Canucks.com, TSN, and Google but couldn't find it.

One thing I did find though was in the "Exclusive Fan Q & A With Trevor Linden" video at about 20:20 where he talks about taking the BPA.

That doesn't exactly help prove my point! Maybe BPA is more subjective and the best player available to the Canucks is a big fast winger.

Well I went to the first link you put there and it listed him as 5'11" 172!

[And I have already looked at all that stuff so please, save your condescension.]

We like different things: I like a big team that pounds the snot out of the opposition and wins championships; you like a team of smurfs making the playoffs but lying in a pile crumpled and bleeding and losing when they get beaten in those playoffs.

Your straw man about European players does not wash with me.

I am Swedish by descent and my favorite Europeans are Scandanavians like Ohlund, Salming, Sundin, and Selanne - all talented with good size (for their time).

I also like players like Chara and Jagr - are you starting to get it? Big and talented, regardless of nationality.

The only nationality that I would not draft is Russian because of the risk represented by the KHL - you just cannot waste a high draft pick on such uncertainty imo.

I am surprised at your high opinion of Plum's ridiculous post and even more surprised that you would let that post do your typing for you.

It is full of errors: "Kapenin is not small" 5'11" 172 is small. Ritchie cannot stand up to the competition of big men. Need I go on?

Anyway, I often like your posts, and enjoy your willingness to contribute; thanks.

But on this one, can't we just agree to disagree and then I am going to call it a night.

Cheers.

Alot of people who believe drafting Ritchie is the right decision usually pick Ritchie because they want to build a big team after being bullied for a few years.

But 1 question I need to ask you all, what made us successful? What got us 1 game away from a cup? It certainly wasn't bullying the other team, we beat them with skill, on the scoreboard not the PIM chart.

Like Smashian said, most sources have Kapanen at 6'0 181. I think our coaches mentality makes our players play tougher, Torterella had a big impact on our team about not being bullied around, I think we can check that one off.

Agree to disagree, you see the big PWF Ritchie as your choice.

Some stats from since Bob McKenzie's January rankings (not including playoffs):

GP G A P +/-

Ehlers 23 24 22 46 +35

Ritchie 25 20 18 38 +12

Virtanen 28 19 10 29 +12

Perlini 16 6 5 11 +1

Ehlers and Ritchie turning it on at the end of the season. Hope we pick Ritchie he is a beast, has a big league shot, underrated passing, good set of mitts on him, and can skate very well for his size. I think he is a pretty rare pick and will be able to make the jump earlier that Virtanen and Ehlers. Any of those three id be happy with!

Hard to compare the 3 different CHL leagues.

Those stats make it look like Ehlers is by far the more dominant player, but really scoring in the Q just comes easier. Playing with Drouin helps out his +/- a whole lot too.

I would say based on level of competition and the teams they're on, Ritchie's stats are the most impressive.

Hard to compare the 3 different CHL leagues.

Those stats make it look like Ehlers is by far the more dominant player, but really scoring in the Q just comes easier. Playing with Drouin helps out his +/- a whole lot too.

I would say based on level of competition and the teams they're on, Ritchie's stats are the most impressive.

Since when did Ehlers play with Drouin? I'm pretty sure he isn't on the same line as him.

Without the defensive game? So not like Kesler at all? :lol:

His skills are very similar to Eberle actually. Especially his wicked backhand, and his ability to drive the net and get the goalie moving side to side.

The only area he's different is that he has a bit more grit to his game. Don't see a whole lot of Dustin Brown in him though.

I meant he has Kesler's offensive game.

If you took what you saw from Kesler offensively this season, then seperated it/forgot about the defensive game Kesler brought, thats Virtanen.

He's not a playmaker, he doesn't have high hockey sense/IQ, he tries to score off the rush, he's not great without the puck at either end of the ice. He's got physicality like Kesler (don't expect him to destroy NHL'ers like he does kids in the WHL) but he's not great at setting up plays for teammates.

Eberle has better hands, more of a dangler, higher hockey sense/IQ. The shooting ability is comparable, other than that not much else.

Except Booth will be gone most likely. He also can't shoot worth crap, so they're not really similar players other than good skating. Not that big players who can skate and shoot would ever be redundant.

Kesler would benefit from playing with a guy like Virtanen since they play a similar game. Kassian and Ritchie really aren't that different.

Either way, don't expect us to draft any of the Euros. Linden said he wants big players who play the game the "right way".

Booth and Virtanen both like to shoot off the rush, or use there size & power to go to the net. Virtanen has a better shot, but do did Booth before the Richards headshot, so maybe thats a good comparable then, Pre concussion Booth.

I don't see how Kesler would benefit from someone like Virtanen when many have said for a few years now (including yourself at times in the past I'm willing to wager) that he needs a playmaker.

As I said above, Virtanen likes to shoot & score off the rush, like Kesler. They both like getting themselves in shooting positions rather than looking to setup a play. I don't see how they would work out well together.

Someone like Kapanen who can be a sniper, and a playmaker, who has decent size, great skating ability & can go into the dirty areas would make a better winger for Kesler IMO.

Regardless of if Booth is gone, we have shooters, what we clearly lack are players who can make plays and create offense for there linemates. Not to mention helping out the PP.

Edit: Ritchie and Kassian have noticable differences, Ritchie has a higher skill level and his offense comes form his shot, he also has Kassian type passing ability, more dynamic offensively, Kassian is more chippy, more of a playmaker, and has better straight ahead speed.

Hey DeNiro, do you know where you got that 'Linden said he wants big players' thing from?

Absent Canuck asked me for my source when I was saying I heard Linden say something similar (going to draft a big fast winger).

I spent an hour or so on Canucks.com, TSN, and Google but couldn't find it.

One thing I did find though was in the "Exclusive Fan Q & A With Trevor Linden" video at about 20:20 where he talks about taking the BPA.

That doesn't exactly help prove my point! Maybe BPA is more subjective and the best player available to the Canucks is a big fast winger.

It was in an interview with global or something.

I heard it, but I wouldn't even know where to begin finding a link. Sorry.

Edit: Ritchie and Kassian have noticable differences, Ritchie has a higher skill level and his offense comes form his shot, he also has Kassian type passing ability, more dynamic offensively, Kassian is more chippy, more of a playmaker, and has better straight ahead speed.

I don't see Ritchie's offensive game being elite enough to take with a 6th overall.

I see him more of a Chris Stewart type. The only reason he's going so high is cause every team seems to be trying to draft powerforwards right now. If this were 5 years ago I doubt he cracks the top 10.

We need more skill and playmaking I agree, but I don't see Ritchie as that guy. Draisaitl is that guy if we can find a way to move up, otherwise I would take the most complete player, who IMO is Virtanen.

Got it! Thanks, it was on global.

http://globalnews.ca/video/1273886/canucks-pick-6th-at-nhl-2014-draft

Linden says they will probably keep and use the #6 pick on a big, strong winger.

Dal Colle, Virtanen or Ritchie ive been preaching it for a month. Ehlers looks decent but we already have a slight , shifty goal scorer, who plays left wing in Shinkaruk.

I don't see Ritchie's offensive game being elite enough to take with a 6th overall.

I see him more of a Chris Stewart type. The only reason he's going so high is cause every team seems to be trying to draft powerforwards right now. If this were 5 years ago I doubt he cracks the top 10.

We need more skill and playmaking I agree, but I don't see Ritchie as that guy. Draisaitl is that guy if we can find a way to move up, otherwise I would take the most complete player, who IMO is Virtanen.

Its Ritchie's consistency that's the issue not his skill, I see him as more comparable to Jamie Benn as far as his style & skillset than Chris Stewart. My issue is I wonder if he will be able to be a consistent high end point producer, or rather just a top 6, 40-50 point guy.

Virtanen isn't the most complete player by any stretch, he's got a good shot, and he's physical, I don't see anything else about him that would deem him complete, again unless you consider David Booth a complete player I don't see how Virtanen will be, Virtanen will likely be better in the strengths they share than Booth is now, but the criticisms/issues with both are basically the same.

Kapanen is a far more complete player, which is why I like him, a safe pick, but he's got a really high skill set too (higher than Virtanen) so I see him as a low risk/high reward player.

Edit: to clearify. My issues with Virtanen aren't him. I think he will be a solid 2nd or 3rd line pro, likely 20-25+ goal 40+ point guy. At 8 or later I think he is a good pick (10 or later a great pick) but at 6, I think there are better options.

The more I look at it the more I think we take Virtanen over Ritchie if Draisaitl and Da Colle are gone. Kassian kind of makes Ritchie redundant, whereas Virtanen brings an element of speed, sniping ability, and sandpaper that we need.

I am surprised you say this

Linden says they will probably keep and use the #6 pick on a big, strong winger.

There it is, I never did look for a link tho aha, he emphasized big power aha Ritchie/Virtanen/Perlini more the first two.

39 goals and 74 pts in 61 games without strong Centre man is not elite JR offensive production? What are you talking about..

5 years ago Kassian went 13th Ritchie had a much superior draft season than Kassian, Scott Glennie went 8th, Ritchie owns him.

Kadri --> 25 goals 78 pts in 56 games with a strong supporting cast. 7th overall

B. Schenn 32 goals 88 pts in 70 games 5th overall

Nick Ritchie would def be in the mix in the top 10 in 2009, and his size would make him a very attractive option, I know i am just posting stats, but I find that ridiculous to say and I have posted my full opinion on him multiple times , please look more into Ritchie I really dont think you have, read more, watch more. He is a complete player.

I am surprised you say this

There it is, I never did look for a link tho aha, he emphasized big power aha Ritchie/Virtanen/Perlini more the first two.

39 goals and 74 pts in 61 games without strong Centre man is not elite JR offensive production? What are you talking about..

5 years ago Kassian went 13th Ritchie had a much superior draft season than Kassian, Scott Glennie went 8th, Ritchie owns him.

Kadri --> 25 goals 78 pts in 56 games with a strong supporting cast. 7th overall

B. Schenn 32 goals 88 pts in 70 games 5th overall

Nick Ritchie would def be in the mix in the top 10 in 2009, and his size would make him a very attractive option, I know i am just posting stats, but I find that ridiculous to say and I have posted my full opinion on him multiple times , please look more into Ritchie I really dont think you have, read more, watch more. He is a complete player.

are you.... calling Eric Cornel WEAK?!

Thank you for the link. Now that we have it actually clarified, surely we can all agree he will take Dal Colle or Draisaitl as his big strong wingers. This is who he is talking about. Not just anyone who fits the description in spite of higher end talent being avail.

This is why he says 'probably'. I have no idea why you guys want to pass up elite talent just because you are in love with 'size' .

He drafts Nyander / Ehlers before he drafts Ritchie. He wont even consider Vit.

Archived