The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Please, ignore me then.

Don't reply to me, don't talk about me, don't take umbrage at my opinion.

We'll both be happier that way. I assume everyone else will be as well.

This ^

Absent, you've managed to piss off like 6 regular posters in this thread. You get super defensive and awkward for really no reason. All this intelligent debate you talk about, but I have yet to see you contribute anything intelligent. Just relax and don't make an argument with everyone for virtually no reason.

I agree with TO. I think a top 5 will fall. GM's can get sucked into media hype as well as I think a GM might take a chance on Ehlers because of the Patrick Kane comparison. Not in the top 3 but possibly at the number 5 spot.

I'm personally are hoping that one of Bennet, Draisaltl or Dal Colle slip out of the top 5 to us. If they don't I have faith in Linden/(Benning) to make a very good pick at 6th

I'm not even a Ritchie supporter (I believe the Canucks should pick either Ehlers or Virtanen) but it seems your ranking of him is just utter defamation of this prospect just because you have a raging boner for just one player in the draft.

1) Anyone who has seen this kid play KNOWS he has an excellent shot and an excellent release or nobody would even bother thinking he was worth taking at 6th overall yet alone in the top 10.

2) As for Virtanen SOMEHOW in all physical categories tying or BEATING Ritchie is a joke. Saying Virtanen is more of a physical presence and a better hitter than Ritchie is just as stupid as saying Jannik Hansen is more of a physical force than Milan Lucic because he works hard along the boards and throws an occasional hit. You would be laughed off the forum for saying something as silly as that. Everyone and their mother can tell you Ritchie is more of a physical player than Virtanen, but I guess your personal bias prevents you from seeing this.

3) Virtanen in the playoffs turtled with a measly 4 points in 6 games (also a -2 yet he is excellent defensively :rolleyes: ) as Sam Reinhart absolutely schooled him and showed everyone what a highly talented, well-rounded prospect looks like in big games. Meanwhile Nick Ritchie stares down highly touted prospect Sam Bennett and a 3-0 series deficit and manages to overcome both as he carried his team to a victory with him being the best player in the series. Again, Virtanen somehow only one point lower than Ritchie in leadership skills :picard:

Overall what I see in this list is when it comes to Virtanen this is your opinion:

oboy.gif

...and your opinion on any other prospect is this:

UGw1mKB.gif

It's one thing to support a certain player and make a case for why we should take him but what makes your bias towards Virtanen utterly pathetic is the fact you have to constantly troll the entire forum and make utterly retarded slanderous statements about other prospects such as Ehlers being a perimeter player and the fact players like him make up a team like the sharks and that's why we should stay away from him.

This ^

Absent, you've managed to piss off like 6 regular posters in this thread. You get super defensive and awkward for really no reason. All this intelligent debate you talk about, but I have yet to see you contribute anything intelligent. Just relax and don't make an argument with everyone for virtually no reason.

It's Dunning-Kruger.

It has all the hallmarks.

Gee, I hope you don't expect Ritchie to be the next Lucic. He's big, but not near as intimidating.

I think Ritchie is more intimidating than Virtanen, Virtanen is probably consistently more aggressive, but when Ritchie wants to be he's more intimidating than Virtanen.

I know. Didn't take it personal. I know i'm insane.

Well, after watching this team fall from game 7 of the finals to a lottery pick in 3 years, I think we are all a little insane. :lol:

Virtanen isnt going to go 7-9 it wouldnt make sense.

We need to trade kesler to anaheim and get virtanen and ritchie.

How i see the picks going

Nyi dal colle

van ritchie

carolina ehlers

Toronto perlini

winnipeg nylander

van acquired from anaheim. Virtanen

After kesler edler and hansen gtfo we can start the new era

Sedin sedin kassian

Shinkaruk horvat virtanen

rithchie gaunce jensen

Virtanen isnt going to go 7-9 it wouldnt make sense.

We need to trade kesler to anaheim and get virtanen and ritchie.

How i see the picks going

Nyi dal colle

van ritchie

carolina ehlers

Toronto perlini

winnipeg nylander

van acquired from anaheim. Virtanen

After kesler edler and hansen gtfo we can start the new era

Sedin sedin kassian

Shinkaruk horvat virtanen

rithchie gaunce jensen

I'd prefer

Ehlers with the 6 or one of the expected top 5 if one drops

then Fleury or Ritchie at 10

I'd prefer

Ehlers with the 6 or one of the expected top 5 if one drops

then Fleury or Ritchie at 10

Yea id love to get ehlers and ritchie.

Toronto will nit pass on ritchie.

We cant take the huge gamble ehlers is. Not with a 6 overall we havnt had since the 90s

I think Ritchie is more intimidating than Virtanen, Virtanen is probably consistently more aggressive, but when Ritchie wants to be he's more intimidating than Virtanen.

Is never really noticed Virtanen being particularly aggressive in the sense that he is a punishing hitter or a physical distraction on the ice away from the play. He'll drop the gloves on occasion but not very often and not against the opposing teams most physical players. I think that's a positive though as Calgary didn't have need of one of their best players to be taking majors all of the time.

He does have a chippyness about him though and if he can stay away from the hooking, slashing and tripping minors he'll be better served. A roughing penalty can be excused but he does still get caught being a bit lazy on second efforts. Thats a fairly minor issue, pun intended, and a couple years of junior with added responsibility should give him time to clean up his game a bit.

I cant believe it 56 oiler fans cause only oil fans would want the Canucks to pick a soft European who would get slapped around by Yakupov and Eberle so come on Canuck fans show them we wont let them run this thread vote Ritchie a guy who could put the oilers top 6 in his pocket.

IF any of top 5 drops it will be one of the sams (probably reinhart) but it will depend of who CGY will pick.

If no team trades up or down:

FLA - Ekblad
BUF - Bennett
EDM - Draisaitl (If ekblad is gone, they'd rather go for a center with size over reinhart)
CGY - **It will be in the flames hands if reinhart falls to canucks or not. Would Burke and management go with size ie: Ritchie? canuck fans can only hope.
NYI - Dal colle (With tavares and strome in the system, they'll want a winger more to play with tavares).

IF any of top 5 drops it will be one of the sams (probably reinhart) but it will depend of who CGY will pick.

If no team trades up or down:

FLA - Ekblad

BUF - Bennett

EDM - Draisaitl (If ekblad is gone, they'd rather go for a center with size over reinhart)

CGY - **It will be in the flames hands if reinhart falls to canucks or not. Would Burke and management go with size ie: Ritchie? canuck fans can only hope.

NYI - Dal colle (With tavares and strome in the system, they'll want a winger more to play with tavares).

Burke isnt that stupid. Hes stupid but not that stupid to pass up on Reinhart.

Is never really noticed Virtanen being particularly aggressive in the sense that he is a punishing hitter or a physical distraction on the ice away from the play. He'll drop the gloves on occasion but not very often and not against the opposing teams most physical players. I think that's a positive though as Calgary didn't have need of one of their best players to be taking majors all of the time.

He does have a chippyness about him though and if he can stay away from the hooking, slashing and tripping minors he'll be better served. A roughing penalty can be excused but he does still get caught being a bit lazy on second efforts. Thats a fairly minor issue, pun intended, and a couple years of junior with added responsibility should give him time to clean up his game a bit.

Yeah good analysis, I agree.

He's chippy and stuff but he doesn't have the physical dominance that Ritchie possesses obviously.

He does have some things to correct, but he's still young as are all these kids, really there is a thing with each prospect being talked about that need to be improved, but will/should come with age, for Virtanen its learning to play on the edge like he can but without crossing it, for Ehlers its getting stronger & putting on weight, then for Ritchie I would say its consistency.

I don't doubt all of them can improve in those areas as they get older.

Archived