The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just putting it out there, but would you deal the 6 pick for Chris Kreider? It all depends on what you think Kreider's upside is, but personally, I think his upside is just as good and he's ready to contribute in a major way right now. Adding a 6'3, 230lbs guy that is one of the fastest player in the NHL is pretty tempting when there isn't any fore sure star there. Thoughts?

Still think a trade is inevitable.

Its our highest pick since the Sedins, which is why I think its a perfect time to bundle it to move up for Reinhart. Even as an under-ager, he was Canadas WJHC teams most noticeable player imo... I remember Ferraro going on and on about how smart he plays and how much of the teams offense was channeling through him.

I love the idea of having Reinhart, Horvat, and Shinkaruk (who I think wouldve made the team over Mantha if he were healthy), along with Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, Fox, Cassels... Multiple skill sets and roles to fill.

We would have to give up one of Jensen, Horvat, Kassian or Shinkaruk + our 1st to get Reinhart.

I wouldn't put too much thought into some of those mock drafts online as they are pretty unreliable and a lot of them are all over the place the only ones I really trust are central scouting, ISS, and the one I trust the most is Bob Mckenzie. They have:

Ritchie: 7, 9, 6

Ehlers: 13, 11, 7

Virtanen: 6, 10, 8

Nylander: 2nd euro, 5, 12

You are cherry picking what you want to believe. ISS and Central Scouting in particular do not have strong records of predicting the draft . Not that anyone has the market cornered in it. You need to take a look at them all, regardless if you like their order or not.

I listed the last 4 . It is utterly irrelevant if you like it or not. It is what it is. The best ones are of course the most recent. Here is an example:

One guy compared the Prospectus to to Bob MacKenzies lists and found Bob to be more accurate than the ESPN analyst . I looked at it and was duly impressed with Bobby Mac.

The next day I decided to look closer at all the mock lists to see who was the most accurate of them all. I inadvertently discovered why Mac Kenzies lists were more accurate. They were dated June 25th. The day before the draft. Prospectus lists were from April and May.

Its far more difficult to predict a draft order in training camp than it is the day before the draft. The closer to draft day we get, the better understanding we have not only of the way we see it, but others lists and talking to scouts willing to share bits of info.

By draft day , I would guarantee you that someone who had never even watched a hockey game before nor ever heard of these prospects could piece together a list as accurate or almost as accurate using everyone elses lists if they made their final order the day before the draft.

P.s.

Here is Bob Mackenzie's draft list as of Jan 14th 2014.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9593

Ekblad

Reinhart

Bennett

Dal Colle

Daisaitl

(consensus top 5)

Fleury

Ritchie

Perlini

Kapanen

Virtanen

( Ritchie and Virtanen seems right on target, the rest not so much)

Nylander

Mc Cann

Barbashev

Pastranak

Ehlers

( Nylander and Ehlers wont fall out of the top 10 and these others could be drafted anywhere from 15 to 30)

Compare it to his predictions April 15th:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=117185

Ekblad

Reinhart

Bennett

Dal Colle

Daisaitl

same consensus

Ritchie

Ehlers

Virtanen

Kapenen

Fleury

Perlini

Nylander

Mc Kenzie skyrockets Ehlers from 15th to 7, moves Virtanen up a bit, and still has his crushes on Fleury and Perlini. He isnt much of a Nylander fan.

I expect him to polish his list even more before the draft. By draft day we can expect 9 out of his picks to be drafted in the top 10. I think he is wrong about Nylander. He will go top 10 for certain.

A lot of the players are not playing hockey anymore until draft so the rankings shouldn't be effected a whole lot by how recent it is updated until after the combine. Central scouting is done by the actual NHL so they should know what their talking about, I feel like ISS is good at scouting international players instead of just focusing on the CHL, and Bob Mckenzie has so many connections and resources working at TSN plus he talks to 12 NHL scouts and takes a consensus. Also hes not a goof like craig button!

Still think a trade is inevitable.

Its our highest pick since the Sedins, which is why I think its a perfect time to bundle it to move up for Reinhart. Even as an under-ager, he was Canadas WJHC teams most noticeable player imo... I remember Ferraro going on and on about how smart he plays and how much of the teams offense was channeling through him.

I love the idea of having Reinhart, Horvat, and Shinkaruk (who I think wouldve made the team over Mantha if he were healthy), along with Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, Fox, Cassels... Multiple skill sets and roles to fill.

Buffalo isn't trading that 2nd overall pick for anything short of a young, elite first line centre.

Even though Florida says they might trade the pick, they won't pass up on Ekblad.

The Canucks aren't getting Reinhart.

Buffalo isn't trading that 2nd overall pick for anything short of a young, elite first line centre.

Even though Florida says they might trade the pick, they won't pass up on Ekblad.

The Canucks aren't getting Reinhart.

6th, Tanev, Gaunce, 2nd

Is almost impossible to pass up if Buffalo really wants to go for McDavid next year.

I am just praying they've dissected Ritchie's tape enough to see the elite play maker, and goalscorer in that 230lb frame. We shouldn't trade the pick at all, should just add another grade A prospect and a 36th overall 2nd rounder which in my opinion often turns out to be a stellar range of picks.

A lot of the players are not playing hockey anymore until draft so the rankings shouldn't be effected a whole lot by how recent it is updated until after the combine. Central scouting is done by the actual NHL so they should know what their talking about, I feel like ISS is good at scouting international players instead of just focusing on the CHL, and Bob Mckenzie has so many connections and resources working at TSN plus he talks to 12 NHL scouts and takes a consensus. Also hes not a goof like craig button!

The OHL playoffs go on long after the ISS and central scouting are done in April. Then the info is absorbed over weeks as film is looked at. People on the ground are interviewed. Etc. Since many of the high end draft picks are still playing its very difficult to rank them until the memorial cup is over.

The combine is very important to teams. We get to see exactly how tall and how much they weigh. Not what their agent wants us to believe. They interview the prospects which changes each teams order more than most realize. . The combine actually matters a lot to teams.

I understand Button is loathed right now. He put Virtanen at #41. He will never live it down . Not until Virtanen is drafted by another team then we just wont care anymore. Mac Kenzie is very good because he is well connected.

ISS and Central Scouting are not very accurate forecasters. Teams do not pay the staff of these entities. They hire their own scouts.

The scouts hired by the teams work for the teams. There is no 'scouts working for the NHL' head office or something. The whole point to scouting is to feed the information to the teams so they can draft. Who is head office is going to draft? These are broad strokes that are painted.

Both ISS and SCC have very limited budgets. The agencies cannot scout all the prospects properly. You can tell who they key in on. In their reports they have updated heights and weights for the prospects. The ones they ignore have the same garden variety stats that were put out last year in training camp.

Mac Kenzie and others who are well connected get tips from scouts and insiders for many teams. They simply have access to more information than ISS or SCC does. The best thing of all to do is take the most updated lists and make an average . This will provide us historically with the best gauge of where the players will be drafted if there are no major surprises.

I know there is a lot of talk about Virtanen vs Ritchie, how skilled is Ehlers, etc, but what is the general consensus on Nylander? I think there is not much known about him, and his point totals are rather underwhelming as he plays with grown men. How strong is the competition in his league? From what I've seen of him he seems to have better all-around skill than anyone outside the Top 5.

There is a growing community that says Nylander would be the guy to 'surprise' if there was anyone. I think hes a fantastic pick but I would like to see how teams react to him after the combine. I think if he can sell himself there he will go by #8 at the latest.

I wonder if Bennings top draft board picks will greatly differ from Gillman and our scouts draft board and how the transition will be felt.

I've also been wondering how high on nylander will gillman be as he watched him in the tourney where he put on a show.

Looking forward to the draft combine and te actual draft each day it gets closer!

There is a growing community that says Nylander would be the guy to 'surprise' if there was anyone. I think hes a fantastic pick but I would like to see how teams react to him after the combine. I think if he can sell himself there he will go by #8 at the latest.

I'd be very happy with a Nylander pick. I'm a Ritchie guy if none of the top 5 fall but if the scouts pick Nylander with our highest pick since the twins, it means their pretty damn sure about him. I can internet scout these kids till the cows come home but these guys are pros and watch the hell out of them.

It would honestly be nice to hear his name called on draft day. It means the scouts see enough of a a future star to take him over a safer pick like Ritchie or Virtanen. Until then though, Ritchie is still my pick haha

I wonder if Bennings top draft board picks will greatly differ from Gillman and our scouts draft board and how the transition will be felt.

I've also been wondering how high on nylander will gillman be as he watched him in the tourney where he put on a show.

Looking forward to the draft combine and te actual draft each day it gets closer!

Well, Gradin is Vancouver's only good scout and my guess is he's knows him well, so I'd say him and Kapanen will be high on Vancouver's list.

Archived