The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Virtanen is a much better skater, considering Benning was pretty clear skating would be a focus for the team going forward it might be a reason to favor him and others over Ritchie.

Yeah, Virtanen's speed is better, but that's about it, and its not like skating is a weakness, his acceleration is very good, he could use some work on his full out speed, but its at worst average currently.

With everything considered, (again considering its not a weakness for Ritchie) I just don't see the reason as to having Virtanen over Ritchie.

I want us to take Ehlers.

But my gut tells me that they take Ritchie. I hope my gut is wrong.

Actually above all, I hope both my gut & personal preference end up wrong, and we end up with a faller. :)

My gut says Ritchie as well, especially knowing how poor the Canucks are at drafting. They're going to make a huge mistake and sadly, it's expected of them.

Ritchie is still better than Virtanen though. That pick would be a complete disaster.

Today hasn't changed my opinion of what I have thought and said for the last few months.

I think Nylander is the best pick long term after the expected top 5 but I fully expect the Canucks to take Ritchie and I am fine with that.

Regardless of what player is picked I can say that I have full confidence that the organization, between Crawford, Linden and Benning, will do a good job this year.

I think are prospect pool is OK by no means good. We need more high first round picks.

I think, ideally, we should be looking at getting that talent from the 07-10 drafts as well as from the upcoming years

Adding partially developed talent in that age range will help buffer our younger players and aging vets, and replace some of those lost drafts.

Yeah, Virtanen's speed is better, but that's about it, and its not like skating is a weakness, his acceleration is very good, he could use some work on his full out speed, but its at worst average currently.

With everything considered, (again considering its not a weakness for Ritchie) I just don't see the reason as to having Virtanen over Ritchie.

There is no reason.

It would be a suspension of disbelief Benning passes on Ritchie ........to take Virtanen.

He passes on Ritchie to take Ehlers or Nylander.

I think, ideally, we should be looking at getting that talent from the 07-10 drafts as well as from the upcoming years

Adding partially developed talent in that age range will help buffer our younger players and aging vets, and replace some of those lost drafts.

As opposed to what? Lets trade all our picks and sign UFAs. Once again you have shown your brilliant ability to repackage the obvious as some kind of keen insight.

What kind of players are you talking about? Dalpe types that haven't worked out with there current team, to see if a change of scenery would be in mind?

I'm not trying to criticize this idea at all, I'm just interested as to what you have in mind. Its kind of an interesting idea.

There is no reason.

It would be a suspension of disbelief Benning passes on Ritchie ........to take Virtanen.

He passes on Ritchie to take Ehlers or Nylander.

If I had to bet, I would bet on Ritchie as being our pick. But we will see what happens.

What kind of players are you talking about? Dalpe types that haven't worked out with there current team, to see if a change of scenery would be in mind?

I'm not trying to criticize this idea at all, I'm just interested as to what you have in mind. Its kind of an interesting idea.

IMO many people are focused only on subsequent drafts to acquire talent to reshape the future core of the team but there is also the need to have more developed talent on the roster as well. Rather than focus strictly in adding to the talent base with 18 year old picks or 28+ year old veterans we should also be looking at the 21-25 year old range of players that are ready to emerge but have not yet and are seeking opportunities for more ice time.

Remember that GMJB as a scout has not focused solely on amateur talent throughout his years of experience but also towards Pro talent of the NHL and AHL. Many players acquired by Boston through trades have fit this mold even though they were not high draft choices. Examples of players that helped Boston make its championship team were Horton, Boychuck, McQuaid, Paille, etc, all acquired in that age range.

Dalpe was not exactly the type of player I meant exactly but someone possibly under somewhat similar circumstances just as Stanton was. I could probably come up with several dozen candidates as they generally are the somewhat overlooked pieces of an organization.

Problem is we'll still need elite talent in order to win, and what better way to get that than the amateur draft?

We can definitely fill out the roster with decent/good players in all sorts of other ways.

While I agree that is generally true it's not implicitly true.

Every SC winning team of the last 5-6 years has had just as much contribution at their top end from players not drafted by the team. Many have come via trade and FA.

Support players can make a major difference though too.

IMO many people are focused only on subsequent drafts to acquire talent to reshape the future core of the team but there is also the need to have more developed talent on the roster as well. Rather than focus strictly in adding to the talent base with 18 year old picks or 28+ year old veterans we should also be looking at the 21-25 year old range of players that are ready to emerge but have not yet and are seeking opportunities for more ice time.

Remember that GMJB as a scout has not focused solely on amateur talent throughout his years of experience but also towards Pro talent of the NHL and AHL. Many players acquired by Boston through trades have fit this mold even though they were not high draft choices. Examples of players that helped Boston make its championship team were Horton, Boychuck, McQuaid, Paille, etc, all acquired in that age range.

Dalpe was not exactly the type of player I meant exactly but someone possibly under somewhat similar circumstances just as Stanton was. I could probably come up with several dozen candidates as they generally are the somewhat overlooked pieces of an organization.

Yeah I definitely agree.

Maybe someone like Zucker in Minnesota would be one of those guys, or someone in the Hawks organization like Jeremy Morin.

Or the guy thats apparently one of GMJB's favorites, Alex Khoklachev.

How about Kevin Fiala? 3rd ranked European skater. Played in the SHL this season. Very poised for a young player. Smaller sample size but better stats than Nylander or Kapanen. His team made the playoffs too. Where he had 1G 5A in 8 games.

Season highlights on YouTube if you're interested.

Been saying this guy since December but no one will go for a go who is ranked 3rd in Euro. He should be top 10 though.

hopefully jims talk of liking the core is a ruse to up the value of players. hopefully he will trade kesler to ny for 5th (they need to improve next year!) hopefully he will trade edler for a go at tuch. they have a top 5 / richie / tuch / jenson / horvat / shinkaruk and sum change going into next year

hopefully jims talk of liking the core is a ruse to up the value of players. hopefully he will trade kesler to ny for 5th (they need to improve next year!) hopefully he will trade edler for a go at tuch. they have a top 5 / richie / tuch / jenson / horvat / shinkaruk and sum change going into next year

I sensed that too

But more like Kesler to Anaheim for Etem and the 10th

Canucks in 4 years

Shinkaruk Etem Kassian

Ritchie Henrik Jensen

Matthias Horvat Virtanen

Santorelli Gaunce Richardson

Fox Cassels Burrows

Edler Tanev

Garrison Bieksa

Hamhuis Corrado

Subban Stanton

I sensed that too

But more like Kesler to Anaheim for Etem and the 10th

Canucks in 4 years

Shinkaruk Etem Kassian

Ritchie Henrik Jensen

Matthias Horvat Virtanen

Santorelli Gaunce Richardson

Fox Cassels Burrows

Edler Tanev

Garrison Bieksa

Hamhuis Corrado

Subban Stanton

yeah that one would be good too. would be nice if they could also fire sale a package that would convince the isle of making the playoffs thus staving off the possible embarrassment of giving away 1st. I would think they could have anything they want other than prospects with the result being three top picks in the bag this year and with a green team a legit shot at top pick overall next year and maybe next couple years

The 6th pick might be either traded up or down after the combine and interviews. Benning said character and drive is one of the most important things to look for in prospects. His observations on advance stats was interesting saying it works in the pro leagues [ trades ufa's] but not so much in junior's or euro leagues. People might want to look again into what the Canucks might do at the draft. Benning will have the last say in this draft and he probably has a pretty good read on who he wants.

Archived