The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No, he has nothing to do with a shutdown system lmao.

He's a pro-typical powerforward.

What exactly does Ritchie have to do with a shutdown system? What is a shutdown system in your eyes anyways?

Well first of all he's fast and defensibly reliable out playing Bennett in the playoffs with 10 points and the game 7 ot winner

2nd he's a big body ready to fight all the gritty puck battles, and he's naturally bigger to block shots. In tight checking playoff series he naturally will be harder to take the puck off of, and vice versa his speed and size will let him completely strip people of the puck definition of a shutdown guy, as well he can protect the puck really well

inb4 I am told size has nothing to do with takeaways (EHLERSS DERRRR KAPANNEEE DPHARPP)

3rd a shutdown system plays a physical type of hockey that fills it's line with fast players that can score off of turnovers and not necessarily relying on sniping goals from the perimeter, dirty goal orientated team that can still has the skill on breakaways. Ritchie can do both but he excels in a cycle system and specifically at finding the open ice to find the tap in, his size aids him in this.

He definately needs to work on his two way game, so does every other player in the entire league

He's a shutdown guy, he has already demonstrated a lot of hockey IQ it will be used for his two way game and as his stick checking devleop even more

You look ridiculous right now. Just saying.

Wut? What are you even talking about?

I agree on Lindholm and Zibanejad so far, and it's not like Gagner and Brassard are slouches either, but Connelly has some question marks. He was passed over by other prospects in the Lightning's system this year. It doesn't mean he still couldn't be a good NHL player, but I'd say it's too early to tell other than to say he has potential.

Yeah i wouldn't judge Connelly yet. Sure there has been other young players making the jump to the Bolts instead of Connelly. But he's still young, so it would be unfair to count him off already. He's been good in the AHL for two years now, which is a good sign at least. He's no Scott Glennie. Right now, maybe you wouldn't say that he's an amazing pick at 6th. But he has the potential to be a good player for sure.

I recommend you just get over the idea. It isn't going to happen.

Compare how Canuck fans feel about drafting a local boy to how the Ducks fan base is going to feel about a black kid from their backyard playing on their home team. How many kids come out of Cali to the NHL? How many are black? How many play for their local team? Yeah. He'll outsell every jersey on the rest of the roster combined. He'll also open up a new fan base.

It was genius drafting on their part. They aren't going to deal him. If the Canucks insist on Etem then the Ducks will shop elsewhere with a trading partner who understands their motivations.

I seem to remember Etem fell quite a bit in his draft year, most thought LA would grab him earlier but they past on him and he feel to the other local team the Ducks.

Well first of all he's fast and defensibly reliable out playing Bennett in the playoffs with 10 points and the game 7 ot winner

2nd he's a big body ready to fight all the gritty puck battles, and he's naturally bigger to block shots. In tight checking playoff series he naturally will be harder to take the puck off of, and vice versa his speed and size will let him completely strip people of the puck definition of a shutdown guy, as well he can protect the puck really well

inb4 I am told size has nothing to do with takeaways (EHLERSS DERRRR KAPANNEEE DPHARPP)

3rd a shutdown system plays a physical type of hockey that fills it's line with fast players that can score off of turnovers and not necessarily relying on sniping goals from the perimeter, dirty goal orientated team that can still has the skill on breakaways. Ritchie can do both but he excels in a cycle system and specifically at finding the open ice to find the tap in, his size aids him in this.

You're basically saying Milan Lucic is a better two-way player than Pavel Datsyuk, size has nothing to do with being a player that can shutdown the opposition.

I doubt you've ever even watched Ritchie play a game...

He's confusing possession hockey with two-way hockey. Ritchie's strength would be to hold the puck along the boards. But without the puck I'd question his effectiveness. I don't have a big problem with players like him, but i'm not sure if he's worth a 6th overall selection. We'd be adding another Kassian. That can be either good or bad.

Does anyone know if Nylander's position chances when he moves from different leagues?

I guess I'm asking is centre his natural position? or is it LW? Is he only moved to the wing when he plays at a higher level?

How is he at faceoffs?

Does he have any kind of two way game?

Cheers,

Spenny

Does anyone know if Nylander's position chances when he moves from different leagues?

I guess I'm asking is centre his natural position? or is it LW? Is he only moved to the wing when he plays at a higher level?

How is he at faceoffs?

Does he have any kind of two way game?

Cheers,

Spenny

He's constantly moved to wing in Sweden, so chances are he'll be one in the NHL until he improves his two-way game, of which he has a very limited ability. But at wing he'll be pulverized on the boards in the NHL.

In this regard, along with reported attitude issues, he kinda reminds me of Coho. An ultra-entitled right-shooting LW that needs to be fed the puck and sheltered while you don't expect him to play defensively.

There is a lot of skill there though. Esp. for the powerplay. So a team will roll the dice on him, but at 6th overall? Doubt that.

You're basically saying Milan Lucic is a better two-way player than Pavel Datsyuk, size has nothing to do with being a player that can shutdown the opposition.

I doubt you've ever even watched Ritchie play a game...

Yea stick checking doesnt require size. Protexting the puck along the boards and on open ice leads to better posession hence a shutdown system.

Just cuz kapanen can strip the puck or make the right check doesnt mean ritchie cant at all. The guy has shown he isnt just a scorer but has the tools for a complete game

Kapanen is just a schroeder 2.0 ive aeen ritchie look just as good as kapanen in the regards ur talking spexifically talking about.

I wonder how many times kapanen has been compared to datsyuk and kane in this thread.

While ritchie literally is better than lucic was in junior You guys are elementary

You're not making a decent case for correct comparisons if you're comparing Ritchie to Lucic, imho.

Anyone can compare any player to any other player though. For example, Kapanen will be nothing relative to Datsyuk and Kane. And Ritchie will not be near as intimidating as Lucic.

You're not making a decent case for correct comparisons if you're comparing Ritchie to Lucic, imho.

Anyone can compare any player to any other player though. For example, Kapanen will be nothing relative to Datsyuk and Kane. And Ritchie will not be near as intimidating as Lucic.

How the hell do you defer that.

The kid is going to be 230lbs and has shown signs of aggression and willingness to fight. Oh because he's big against juniour players

Well then how in god's name would anyone ever known Lucic would become as intimidating as he is. Yea Ritchie hasn't displayed the absolute beast physicality Lucic has but Lucic is a one of a kind player, and it isn't hard to teach a kid how to play more on the edge.

No 18 yr old is intimidating

I hate the Ritchie / Kassian comparisons. Other than being big, physical players their style of play is quite different. Ritchie plays much more like Rick Nash. One thing I've noticed from both Nash and Ritchie is their ability to hold onto the puck by using their long reach and big body as shield. Puck control is Ritchie's biggest strength imo. If he can develop his playmaking ability he could become a very dominant player. He already has a great shot.

How the hell do you defer that.

The kid is going to be 230lbs and has shown signs of aggression and willingness to fight. Oh because he's big against juniour players

Well then how in god's name would anyone ever known Lucic would become as intimidating as he is. Yea Ritchie hasn't displayed the absolute beast physicality Lucic has but Lucic is a one of a kind player, and it isn't hard to teach a kid how to play more on the edge.

No 18 yr old is intimidating

You're overreacting to a simple comparison and taking it to a new level of ridiculousness. So perhaps quit mocking people who make their own to boost their heroes.

The Bruins knew what they were doing when they selected Lucic. Don't kid yourself into thinking otherwise.

I hate the Ritchie / Kassian comparisons. Other than being big, physical players their style of play is quite different. Ritchie plays much more like Rick Nash. One thing I've noticed from both Nash and Ritchie is their ability to hold onto the puck by using their long reach and big body as shield. Puck control is Ritchie's biggest strength imo. If he can develop his playmaking ability he could become a very dominant player. He already has a great shot.

Yep it's so easy to compare Ritchie to the handful of other big players in the league.

The kid really is on a tier of his own though, he makes dangles and can make sweet moves on breakaways

And he has a great one timer too. The kid kicks ass

He's confusing possession hockey with two-way hockey. Ritchie's strength would be to hold the puck along the boards. But without the puck I'd question his effectiveness. I don't have a big problem with players like him, but i'm not sure if he's worth a 6th overall selection. We'd be adding another Kassian. That can be either good or bad.

He has a lethal shot. Kassian has always looked to pass first before releasing his shot for whatever reason. If we add Ritchie, I believe next year's draft is loading up with tons of skill.

If we get Benning, I can see us taking Virtanen or Ritchie. I'm more so leaning on Ritchie due to our OHL scouts having a bit of a better track record, but if we continue on our WHL swing of things after Shink pick, Virtanen can very well be coming home. I wouldn't mind either.

As for Merci's arguments in regards to Lucic being a part of their shut down style, what? He's a puck possession player, which is a part of the system. To say that he himself is a shut down player is so laughable.

Archived