The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And you know this how (and can also say Nylander's rumoured attitude issues aren't a myth)?

While I agree that for the most part players that are good enough to be considered in the top 10 will generally be a bit cocky, but I don't know that any of us have the inside track on the players available to say the rumours about one are a myth and the other's are fact. That's why there's a combine and player interviews prior to the draft though.

There's something on Nylander, and nothing on Virtanen, for starters.

Frankly, the 'attitude' question mark for the draft is asinine anyway. Kane's attitude is awful and he's one of the cockiest SOB's in the world, but he's a two-time cup winner. Besides, we picked up 'major off-ice issues' Dane Fox, as well as 'combine poor attitude' Schroeder.

I'd pass on Nylander not because of his poor attitude, but because he's just a poor man's version of whatever small skilled NHL star you want to compare him to. Not worth a 6th.

If we draft Ritchie, he should wear the same number that Byron Ritchie wore so that all those fans with Byron Ritchie jerseys don't have to buy new jerseys.

We still shouldn't draft Ritchie tho.

More and more im thinking he wont be available his the only player not in the top 5 that i feel has a legit chance of knocking Draisaitl or MDC out of the top 5.

More and more im thinking he wont be available his the only player out of the top 5 that i feel has a legit chance of knocking Draisaitl or MDC out of the top 5.

I got a feeling it will be Bennett that drops. Got completely outplayed by Ritchie in the playoffs. I would be kinda bummed if he's the guy to fall out of the top 5. Not all impressed my his game.

There's something on Nylander, and nothing on Virtanen, for starters.

Frankly, the 'attitude' question mark for the draft is asinine anyway. Kane's attitude is awful and he's one of the cockiest SOB's in the world, but he's a two-time cup winner. Besides, we picked up 'major off-ice issues' Dane Fox, as well as 'combine poor attitude' Schroeder.

I'd pass on Nylander not because of his poor attitude, but because he's just a poor man's version of whatever small skilled NHL star you want to compare him to. Not worth a 6th.

Well, the first and last points are debatable but such is the life of a message board with opinions. Nylander is highly skilled and the question will be whether the Canucks think that translates well enough to the NHL to take him over a safer pick like Ritchie, Kapanen or Virtanen (and if anyone drops from the top 5).

I got a feeling it will be Bennett that drops. Got completely outplayed by Ritchie in the playoffs. I would be kinda bummed if he's the guy to fall out of the top 5. Not all impressed my his game.

Bennett 5g 9pts +2 in 7gp. Ritchie 5g 10pts -5 in 11gp. Not sure who's out-playing who.

Bennett also out-scored Ritchie in the U18 last year, as Ritchie missed games.

I think there's a reason why Bennett is in the top-5 and Ritchie isn't.

Bennett 5g 9pts +2 in 7gp. Ritchie 5g 10pts -5 in 11gp. Not sure who's out-playing who.

Bennett also out-scored Ritchie in the U18 last year, as Ritchie missed games.

I think there's a reason why Bennett is in the top-5 and Ritchie isn't.

Was referring to the series the played head to head and the games I watched. Just a hunch from what I've personally seen from Bennett not just stat watching.

Was referring to the series the played head to head and the games I watched. Just a hunch from what I've personally seen from Bennett not just stat watching.

Hey, maybe Bennett was good, but his team wasn't as good as Ritchie's at that particular time. Possible. Ritchie did absolutely nothing in the next round, so what are we even talking about?

I agree, he might, but would be delighted if we picked him up because he's got some real skill as well as complete game and an edge to him. At this stage, my fear is that Draisaitl will drop. While he is an effective player in junior, he's slow as molasses. Even Gaunce looks quicker. I don't think that will wash in today's NHL. So if Ritchie bumps Dal Colle or Bennett from the top 5, I'd jump on either but if it's Draisaitl, it's got to be Ehlers.

Someone on hfboards posted this regarding Nylander's defensive play:

He has improved his defensive play quite a bit from last year, so the fact that he's working on it is encouraging. His coach in Södertälje this year, former NHL player Andreas Johansson, also says Nylander rarely is a liability in his own zone.

See video here from 6:50 (in swedish).
http://www.umeatidning.se/bloggar-sm.../item/konstigt

Edit: Michael Nylander on his son:

“He’s the older brother in the household and when I was playing on the road he helped to handle things at home and taking care of his siblings. He’s very easy going and his maturity level is high and it’s translated well to hockey.”

He's his dad so it may be a bit biased, but still nice to hear.

The time for negative reviews is well over. Now it's all hype-building stuff.

Esp. If the source is his dad. Lol.

Better than posters on a message board who have never seen him play outside of highlights and one article without a source.

Did you actually watch the series? Or did you just head over to Hockeydb and look at their stats?

Did you actually watch the series? Or did you just head over to Hockeydb and look at their stats?

Watched a few games. Just feel out of the big 5 Bennett has the lowest ceiling. I see him as being a good second line player, where Dal Colle, Reinhart, Draitle, and Ritchie have the potential to be top line players.

Watched a few games. Just feel out of the big 5 Bennett has the lowest ceiling. I see him as being a good second line player, where Dal Colle, Reinhart, Draitle, and Ritchie have the potential to be top line players.

Bennett is going to be solid though. In all 3 zones. I don't think he has an overt weakness.

He reminds me of Ryan O'Reilly or Patrice Bergeron, as a mold.

Fair enough.

I would take him top 3 if I could. Very good 2-way player.. reminds me of Duchene offensively.

Bennett is going to be solid though. In all 3 zones. I don't think he has an overt weakness.

He reminds me of Ryan O'Reilly or Patrice Bergeron, as a mold.

For sure. As a Canuck fan and having the highest pick since the sedins I'd rather take a shot at elite high end talent than just a solid player.

Archived