The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

JS will surprise big time in training camp next year. He is FAR from bust.

If you mean Schroeder i'm not so sure about that. I was a huge fan up until this year, i had all the confidence in the kid and this year he did absoutlely nothing but get injured. Didn't show anything when we had injuries to key players, he should have stepped up but didn't.

As I have stated...so very VERY many times before anyone we pick in this draft not named Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisatl or Ritchie* (* by virtue of size alone) is destined to sit in development for a few seasons. In Ehlers or Nylanders cases 3+ just again; based on size and a need to play against men in the AHL at least.

While Ehlers may even be the best player to come out of this draft, or Nylander (who I just do not want...at all nope nope nope) the most skilled; they have no choice but to sit in development growing because as stated entering in to this team in this division at less than what could be functionally called "full size" is asking for them to suffer the same issues as Brule did.

This fan club will NOT allow that to happen. They will call for blood the second such a high draft pick is not anchoring a top line and putting up 150+ points with a Selke and Norris nomination as well as a Calder in their rookie year.

The pressure alone of such a rabid market could hamper them.

Anyone we pick in this years draft needs to be developed for a time. So please people get it out of your heads that grabbing even one of the vaunted top 5 in this years draft at #6 is not helping this team for a minimum of 2 full seasons. Ehlers, Virtanen, Nylander, Bennett...

We pick the BPA for 5 years from now because that is when they're going to be the player we need. Not 2 years. We are not getting Dal Colle, Ekblad or Reinhart (who represent the top players for position in this years draft)

Ehlers will be a fine pick if EVERYONE comes in to this draft knowing that is his most likely timeline and what this team is facing. This year at #6 is all well and good.

But we face the same potential draft area next year as well. If Ehlers is the BPA in 5 years from now over Virtanen so be it. But something tells me Linden is doing the same thing for this and next years drafts.

Looking to the end of this core and at what this team needs moving forward.

Nylander is 5'11 175lbs...for a 17 year old that is not small..by the time he's 20 he should be about 190lbs...

Conversely,Ritchie is bot going to be hitting kids weighing 175lbs when he gets to the NHL..big learning curve for him as well..

Nylander is 5'11 175lbs...for a 17 year old that is not small..by the time he's 20 he should be about 190lbs...

Conversely,Ritchie is bot going to be hitting kids weighing 175lbs when he gets to the NHL..big learning curve for him as well..

My concerns about Nylander are many and varied. From true perimeter playing, to only netting his points in a tournament against low Quality opponents and almost exclusively on the power play. This is indicative of either a significant project or a soft player.

I have NO issues taking skill as long as the visible hard work is there in the package.

I see that missing from Nylander. And just because he scored almost 47% of Swedens total in the U-18 is not indicative of his skill, but more of the current and apparent shallowness of this draft

As I have stated...so very VERY many times before anyone we pick in this draft not named Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisatl or Ritchie* (* by virtue of size alone) is destined to sit in development for a few seasons. In Ehlers or Nylanders cases 3+ just again; based on size and a need to play against men in the AHL at least.

Looking to the end of this core and at what this team needs moving forward.

Any player we pick will need time, no need to seperate certain guys and say they need time. If we draft Ritchie he will definitely need more development aswell.

Ekblad could play next year, maybe Reinhart, or maybe Draisaitl as a long shot, but aside from that everyone else would be better served for some more years of development.

It doesn't matter what the fanbase thinks, the fanbase was probably unhappy with the Sedins some time ago aswell.

For me take the guy with the highest upside (Nylander & Ehlers if no one falls IMO) and out of those 2 evalutable who is more likely to reach there potential and things of that nature (Ehlers IMO, I share alot of your concerns with Nylander as far as how his game will translate) and take that player. Don't draft a guy in hopes he can step in next year, just draft a guy under that premise & give him as much time as he needs.

JS will surprise big time in training camp next year. He is FAR from bust.

I think he has potential too aswell. Or at the very least get back to some of the promise he showed last season & way earlier on this season in those few games before the 2nd injury.

If you mean Schroeder i'm not so sure about that. I was a huge fan up until this year, i had all the confidence in the kid and this year he did absoutlely nothing but get injured. Didn't show anything when we had injuries to key players, he should have stepped up but didn't.

Well he had a tough season with injuries, he battled injuries all summer, came back & got injured in pre season, came back and got injured again. Exc.

The full offseason should help him and hopefully he can get back too (and build off) what he showed in the lockout shortened season.

wouldnt be surprised if he's not re-signed the new GM will have no ties to him, whereas gmmg tried to shelter his choices to not let them look like as big of frack ups as they really were.

It would be a really bad idea. He's got some value, guys like him have been traded for later round picks before (Loktionov comes to mind)

Letting him go would be terrible asset managment, he's shown he can play at this level, he's a former 1st rounder with upside & he's still young. Even if he isn't working out halfway through next year just trade him and hopefully get a late round pick back.

After the top 5 we have a mix of 4 players I like: Ritchie, Ehlers, Virtanen and Nylander.

Fleury will likely go top 10 so it's possible that we can snag two of those 4 players if we can get the 10th overall from the Ducks for Kes.

I'd be down with

Etem + 10overall + Vatanen/B level prospect/Ana 1st

For

Kesler + 36th overall (don't think the Ducks do it without our 2nd involved)

How I see the draft going down:

1. Ekblad - Florida

2. Reinhart - Buffalo

3. Bennett - Edmonton

4. Ritchie - Calgary

5. Drasaitl - Islanders

6. Dal Colle - Vancouver

7. Ehlers - Carolina

8. Virtanen - Toronto

9. Fleury - Winnipeg

10. Nylander - Canucks

After the draft end up with Dal Colle, Nylander, Etem and possibly another late 1st prospect.

If kesler wants out, package him for to anaheim for the 10th overall ++

Pry the #7 from carolina somehow.

Canucks draft #6, 7, and 10.

Have a feeling a top 5 will drop and canucks will walk away at the draft with: Dal Colle, Ritchie/nylander, Virtanen/Fleury.

Speed up the rebuild.

I already did.

You must be done with this 'thread' then, are you? .. I mean since you have stated your opinion? .. why do you hang around with this group of ignorant 'fan-boys' on CDC, when someone with your obvious knowledge and expertise could be exercising his talents at a much higher level? Apparently the job in Washington is open?

I believe there are openings in the KHL?

You should give the fans more credit. There are going to be few who want the players to play right away but most of us understand that almost all players out of the top 3 need time to develop. Sometimes it's one year, sometimes it's more.

We all have our own personal favourites for the 6th pick but once the Canucks draft their player, the majority of the fans will get behind him because, at the end of the day, we're cheering for the jersey not the player wearing it.

NO...no I don't have to give the fans more credit sadly this fan base is terrible to its players and its prospects.

If we drafted Ehlers and he didn't enter the league in the first 2 years after his draft with anything less than a 3 point night he'd be a bust. His first injury people would be calling for Lindens head.

This fan base is terrible at the best of times

Any player we pick will need time, no need to seperate certain guys and say they need time. If we draft Ritchie he will definitely need more development aswell.

Ekblad could play next year, maybe Reinhart, or maybe Draisaitl as a long shot, but aside from that everyone else would be better served for some more years of development.

It doesn't matter what the fanbase thinks, the fanbase was probably unhappy with the Sedins some time ago aswell.

For me take the guy with the highest upside (Nylander & Ehlers if no one falls IMO) and out of those 2 evalutable who is more likely to reach there potential and things of that nature (Ehlers IMO, I share alot of your concerns with Nylander as far as how his game will translate) and take that player. Don't draft a guy in hopes he can step in next year, just draft a guy under that premise & give him as much time as he needs.

I think he has potential too aswell. Or at the very least get back to some of the promise he showed last season & way earlier on this season in those few games before the 2nd injury.

Well he had a tough season with injuries, he battled injuries all summer, came back & got injured in pre season, came back and got injured again. Exc.

The full offseason should help him and hopefully he can get back too (and build off) what he showed in the lockout shortened season.

It would be a really bad idea. He's got some value, guys like him have been traded for later round picks before (Loktionov comes to mind)

Letting him go would be terrible asset managment, he's shown he can play at this level, he's a former 1st rounder with upside & he's still young. Even if he isn't working out halfway through next year just trade him and hopefully get a late round pick back.

With Nylander i'd rather take a guy who will kill himself on one leg after a knee injury trying to win the game with less skill than Nylander who will shy away from a pivotal moment which is how I see his game translating.

We already have enough guys who take nights off

With Nylander i'd rather take a guy who will kill himself on one leg after a knee injury trying to win the game with less skill than Nylander who will shy away from a pivotal moment which is how I see his game translating.

We already have enough guys who take nights off

And how do you know he'll shy away at big moments? Because he's 5'11 and a Swede? There's a certain 5'11 Swede on the Red Wings who has a Conn Smythe to his name.

wouldnt be surprised if he's not re-signed the new GM will have no ties to him, whereas gmmg tried to shelter his choices to not let them look like as big of frack ups as they really were.

who did Gillis shelter? Names would be nice.

Or are you talking out of your ass.

Archived