The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok just found proof the height/weight is old. Look at the asterisk under the title, says "player weighed and measured by Central Scouting". All players at the combine are measured by CS. Kasperi Kapanen was at the combine but has no asterisk by his name meaning the measurements are old since they are not done by CS.

I'm sure they will release the updated measurements soon.

Combine_02.jpg

I think the measurements with asterisk are old. Nikolay Goldobin's measurements have an asterisk and he wasn't at the combine.

Also, as others have mentioned, these measurements were given out before the testing took place.

I'm wary of MDC after watching his interview. Confidence is good, but I detect some arrogance/impatience, too. That's off-putting in itself, even if you disregard the idea that he dislikes the Canucks.

Reinhart, on the other hand, looks like a gem. He's the Trevor Linden professional type of guy—certainly someone who could be a cornerstone for our franchise, as management has suggested. I'd be super happy to trade up with Florida. We've traditionally had a great trading relationship with them, no? What would it take to trade up? What are they looking for, and can they get it at #6? Who can we give them (taking into account NTC) that would sweeten the deal?

I'm wary of MDC after watching his interview. Confidence is good, but I detect some arrogance/impatience, too. That's off-putting in itself, even if you disregard the idea that he dislikes the Canucks.

Reinhart, on the other hand, looks like a gem. He's the Trevor Linden professional type of guy—certainly someone who could be a cornerstone for our franchise, as management has suggested. I'd be super happy to trade up with Florida/Dave Tallon. We've traditionally had a great trading relationship with them, no? What would it take to trade up? What are they looking for, and can they get it at #6? Who can we give them (taking into account NTC) that would sweeten the deal?

6th, Edler, Schroeder. They can draft one of Nylander/Ehlers at 6th for sure.

I do that in a heartbeat. Edler has a NTC, though; will he really waive for Florida? I mean, I like Luongo, too, but...

Who knows. They could be on the rise sooner than us if we plan on trading Kesler too. Maybe even edler starting to feel like a change of scenery would be good. Florida has a good young core, good GM and a green light to go for it. I see them like islanders, ready to take flight.

That would a be a beauty way to get it done. Overpaying in stuff I don't mind getting rid of to get a future elite top centre haha.

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Reinhart Kesler Kassian

Higgins Horvat Burrows

Matthias Richardson Hansen

Jesus that looks deep with pretty high end youth mixed in. Look at the mentors for them. Jensen with the twins. Kesler teaches Kass and Reino to leave it all out there night in and night out. Higgins and Burr are the Rupert brothers x100 haha. Then a beast of a 4th line.

If there's a way to get it done I say do it

I'm warming up to the idea of trading up for a pick to get Reinhart, preferably without giving up the 6th.

I'm not sure what it would take to get the pick from either Florida or Buffalo but I think the possibility of adding this kid has to be very tempting as I think both teams are willing to listen to offers. Both teams are going to need to add payroll and attempt to be better this year so it maybe a situation where roster players, not prospects, may get it done. Would Florida listen to an offer of Edler + Hansen? Maybe. If so then a deal with Kesler could be structured in different ways.

By nabbing Reinhart and another good prospect at 6th, or possibly the 10th if Kes is moved to Anaheim and our pick is traded up, the future up front would be very well setup.

The team needs a shakeup, the GM needs to make his mark, and the fans need to see a new direction to get them excited again. Maybe we take a small step back this year but a shuffling of the deck may even reinvigorate the team.

Interesting times, to be sure.

Paajarvi:

35 games 3 points as 16yr old SHL

50 games 17 points as 17yr old SHL

49 games 29 points as 18 yr old SHL

Yea I guess his numbers do add up to a top 10 pick.

Have to admit when you really crunch it Ritchie and Nylander and Ehlers are damn damn close.

Earlier in this thread, i compared Nylanders draft year numbers in Allsvenskan to previous top prospects draft year numbers, coming from Allsvenskan.
(D-man)Oliver Ekman Larsson had 17 points in 39 games his draft year. (Went 6th overall).
(D-man)Hampus Lindholm had 4 points in 20 games his draft year. (Went 6th overall).
(Forward)Filip Forsberg had 17 points in 43 games his draft year. (Went 11th overall, but was ranked higher, now he's doing really good in his first full season in NA.)
(Forward)André Burakowsky had 11 points in 43 games his draft year. (Went 23rd overall)
Sure there's a lot of things to take into consideration, not just offensive numbers. But Nylanders draft year numbers (27 points in 35 Allsvenskan games) are very impressive for sure. He had 11 goals and 19 points in 17 games the 2nd half of the season (which he spent in Sodertalje), so he's trending upwards.
I also don't get why people are suddently ripping on Ritchie just because he wasn't top10 in every single category at the combine. The projected top5 prospects didn't stand out that much either tbh. I know people here might not like Merci, but Ritchie's one hell of a prospect for sure. People comparing him to Beach/Sestito just shows lack of knowledge. He's a rare prospect that's hard to come by. People are screaming about consistency issues, but that's a common thing for prospects to be fair. You could also say the same thing about Nylander. And for people calling him fat, look at the combine interviews with Ritchie and you will all see that he's actually quite fit at 225lbs. For me it's Nylander or Ritchie unless one of the projected top5s are available. Ehlers would be my 3rd option, but i believe he's similar to Nylander. Not identical, but similar, and i believe Nylander is the better of the 2. Either go for the skilled guy (Nylander) or the Powerforward (Ritchie). Not sold on Virtanen,would definitely be a disappointment if we picked him 6th, even though he's a good player and seems like a cool guy.

I'm warming up to the idea of trading up for a pick to get Reinhart, preferably without giving up the 6th.

I'm not sure what it would take to get the pick from either Florida or Buffalo but I think the possibility of adding this kid has to be very tempting as I think both teams are willing to listen to offers. Both teams are going to need to add payroll and attempt to be better this year so it maybe a situation where roster players, not prospects, may get it done. Would Florida listen to an offer of Edler + Hansen? Maybe. If so then a deal with Kesler could be structured in different ways.

By nabbing Reinhart and another good prospect at 6th, or possibly the 10th in Kes is moved to Anaheim and our pick is traded up, the future up front would be very well setup.

The team needs a shakeup, the GM needs to make his mark, and the fans need to see a new direction to get them excited again. Maybe we take a small step back this year but a shuffling of the deck may even reinvigorate the team.

Interesting times, to be sure.

Hey minister. I respect your opinion. Wanted to know what you think of this deal.

To Buff:

Kesler, 36th, Schroeder

To Van:

Sam Reinhart

And we keep our 6th overall

I know it might seem like an overpayment for us, but I think thats what it is going to take to get the 2nd, or even first overall. Kesler has 2 years remaining on his contract and we may not be able to retain him. Schroeder looks like a 3rd liner at this point, and the 36th has a better chance of busting than 2nd overall. We keep our 6th and draft Nylander.

Future line up:

Shinkaruk Reinhart Kassian

Nylander Horvat Jensen

Gaunce Cassels Fox

Earlier in this thread, i compared Nylanders draft year numbers in Allsvenskan to previous top prospects draft year numbers, coming from Allsvenskan.

(D-man)Oliver Ekman Larsson had 17 points in 39 games his draft year. (Went 6th overall).

(D-man)Hampus Lindholm had 4 points in 20 games his draft year. (Went 6th overall).

(Forward)Filip Forsberg had 17 points in 43 games his draft year. (Went 11th overall, but was ranked higher, now he's doing really good in his first full season in NA.)

(Forward)André Burakowsky had 11 points in 43 games his draft year. (Went 23rd overall)

Sure there's a lot of things to take into consideration, not just offensive numbers. But Nylanders draft year numbers (27 points in 35 Allsvenskan games) are very impressive for sure. He had 11 goals and 19 points in 17 games the 2nd half of the season (which he spent in Sodertalje), so he's trending upwards.

I also don't get why people are suddently ripping on Ritchie just because he wasn't top10 in every single category at the combine. The projected top5 prospects didn't stand out that much either tbh. I know people here might not like Merci, but Ritchie's one hell of a prospect for sure. People comparing him to Beach/Sestito just shows lack of knowledge. He's a rare prospect that's hard to come by. People are screaming about consistency issues, but that's a common thing for prospects to be fair. You could also say the same thing about Nylander. And for people calling him fat, look at the combine interviews with Ritchie and you will all see that he's actually quite fit at 225lbs. For me it's Nylander or Ritchie unless one of the projected top5s are available. Ehlers would be my 3rd option, but i believe he's similar to Nylander. Not identical, but similar, and i believe Nylander is the better of the 2. Either go for the skilled guy (Nylander) or the Powerforward (Ritchie). Not sold on Virtanen,would definitely be a disappointment if we picked him 6th, even though he's a good player and seems like a cool guy.

I'm of the same mind.

For months there have been criticisms of both Nylander and Ritchie that are unwarranted. Both mitigated most of those concerns in the last two weeks IMHO, though I didn't have as many questions as others. Nylander's 'attitude problems' were overblown as were Ritchie's 'weight issues.' Nylander has shown he is a hard worker off the ice and is keen to do what it takes to play in the NHL. Ritchie is injury free, shed weight, and tested well in leg strength proving he isn't just about physically manhandling smaller players.

Either would be great additions to a prospect pool.

Edler and Kesler ain't waiving for Buffalo. Florida might be a better option, esp. since we have a loooong trading history with them anyhow. Trading for the 1st overall means we'd be selecting Ekblad, the stud defenseman we've needed since day one.

But I doubt it's happening.

Hey minister. I respect your opinion. Wanted to know what you think of this deal.

To Buff:

Kesler, 36th, Schroeder

To Van:

Sam Reinhart

I know it might seem like an overpayment for us, but I think thats what it is going to take to get the 2nd, or even first overall. Kesler has 2 years remaining on his contract and we may not be able to retain him. Schroeder looks like a 3rd liner at this point, and the 36th has a better chance of busting than 2nd overall. We keep our 6th and draft Nylander.

Future line up:

Nylander Horvat Jensen

Gaunce Cassels Fox

I'm just curious; what makes you think that Kesler waives NTC to go to the worst team in the NHL?

To Buff:

Kesler, 36th, Schroeder

To Van:

Sam Reinhart

Future line up:

Nylander Horvat Jensen

Gaunce Cassels Fox

Thanks, man. I appreciate that. Ditto.

I think it is an overpayment for us but an offer that Florida would have to seriously consider. Very strong value wise for them, even though it may not be their direction. Schroeder is likely redundant for them, as they have Bjugstad, Trochek, Barkov, Huberdeau, et al. at centre already, and for the same reasons one has to question whether Kesler would be their main interest. Tallon thinks a little outside of the box so who knows? My guess would he that an top 4 D might be the bigger focus. I think a 3 way deal is also not out of the question.

If we were able to swing a deal for Florida's pick without giving up our own or Kesler then we could still move him in a deal that includes a 2015 1st in part of a package. That would mean 2x 1sts in three straight drafts, in addition to the later picks, and that has to bode well for the coming Benning years.

Regardless of the possible combinations of moves, because I believe moving Kesler signals that there will need to be several, we do have the potential to add considerable cornerstone pieces. With a good coaching staff, a little more luck with injuries, and a fresh perspective it maybe even possible to improve our record and build for the future.

Archived