The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

LUONGO TRADED to Florida - Official Discussion Thread

-SN-

So many funny connections with this trade

*Lack use to back up Markstrom in Sweden

*Luongo on the same team as 2011 playoff rival Tim Thomas, neither on their 2011 team anymore

*Mathias was traded to Florida for former Canuck Tod Bertuzzi, who of course Florida got for Luongo in the first place

I have no idea how Gillis still has a job. Florida must just love fleecing the Canucks, Read the posts on TSN...and no they are not all Canuck haters, they are hockey fans from around the world. The common message in the forum is Gillis is less than useless and the Canucks have become classless which is a shame because I loved this team from day 1 and Gillis has ruined it. Until he is gone, I am a former fan. Lou deserves better than what the Canucks have become and I am glad for him and I am sure there are many more players that would love to get out of this 3 ring circus led by head clown Gillis and the freak Torts. It was so obvious that the only reason Gillis brought in Torts was to deflect attention and blame. So now we have a clueless red faced GM sitting upstairs at games wondering how this team he dismantled can't win and a coach that chases payers half his age and twice his size into their locker room....yes the circus plays on. I suppose only empty seats at the rink will matter to the owner and trust me that is not far away..

Gillis talking of how this is step one to "retooling/getting younger".

Really good players don't suddenly get bad as a group....team as a whole has talked about things going wrong and it needs to be an illumination not sticking their heads in the sand.

Does this hurt the team re attracting free agents, "Lu hard done by" mentality, etc.? - No. HNIC guys got bent out of shape but stuff isn't always obvious and you can't jeopardize plans that may be in the works.

Since January have seen a lot of things that need attention and they "have" to think this way (change/younger). Team hasn't played well. Need depth with injuries and other teams have that.

"We're as impatient/upset over this as anybody" (lack of success). "We live it every day and feel those pressures...it's our livlihood, so likely stronger".

Archibald over Jensen? - young player, just started to blossom...has played really well for a month...one month, want to leave him there to feel comfortable and build on that. When he's on this kind of roll and his development is accelerating you don't want to jeopardize that. He'll get an opportunity (for sure). Gaunce too.

Grind out games for now...but we'll see these players when we feel they're ready.

More later....

Good Trade MG. Good job igniting the rebuild with this move.

We get a young goalie and a big 3rd line C who is entering his prime. Considering how 90% of people here have made much more horrible proposals for trading Luo, this is a good trade. Luongo gets to go back to FLA which is good and we start the rebuild.

People that are still butthurt over the Schneider trade need to realize Gillis was forced to make that trade or else we would of bought out Luongo and lost a goalie for nothing. You think other GMs are stupid? They realized that hence why we couldn't get fair value for one of our goalies. If it wasn't for the CBA we would of gotten fair value.

No GM is perfect but you guys can't be all over Gillis on only his bad, that is stupid and unfair. Gillis has done many good things as well yet barely gets acknowledged for it. Hamhuis, Tanev, Stanton, Garrison and much more.

I'll miss Luongo and I am happy he gets traded back home. Good job on Gillis for that as well. Hope Luo and Timmy get along :P'

You people need to grow up.

How can people on here actually support Gillis? Do you know anything about hockey? hmmm lets see...we could have had Kadri and Bozak but now we have a 26 year old plumber (oh wait he is like Kassian...upside potential....give me a break) and we get a no name goalie.

How is this re-tooling?

Good Trade MG. Good job igniting the rebuild with this move.

We get a young goalie and a big 3rd line C who is entering his prime. Considering how 90% of people here have made much more horrible proposals for trading Luo, this is a good trade. Luongo gets to go back to FLA which is good and we start the rebuild.

People that are still butthurt over the Schneider trade need to realize Gillis was forced to make that trade or else we would of bought out Luongo and lost a goalie for nothing. You think other GMs are stupid? They realized that hence why we couldn't get fair value for one of our goalies. If it wasn't for the CBA we would of gotten fair value.

No GM is perfect but you guys can't be all over Gillis on only his bad, that is stupid and unfair. Gillis has done many good things as well yet barely gets acknowledged for it. Hamhuis, Tanev, Stanton, Garrison and much more.

I'll miss Luongo and I am happy he gets traded back home. Good job on Gillis for that as well. Hope Luo and Timmy get along :P'

You people need to grow up.

Lu's already tweeting about it. :)

Awkward.

The TSN Inside Hockey panel seems to think that the urgency of MG to make a trade only happened AFTER the Heritage Classic when Pat Brisson (Lu's agent) turned up the pressure (because of the unexpected backlash over starting Lack).

But, maybe there is another possibility. It's purely speculation on my part, but is there any chance that Torts was told not to start Luongo for the Heritage Classic because MG knew that a Luongo trade was in the works and they didn't want Lu to get hurt?

Oh wait stop the presses...Gillis says that we don't have the facts in front of us....us mere dumb fans who are not nearly as smart as he is...says the guy that is so hated by every GM that none of them will deal with him....oh except Florida

Gillis you used that when you got fleeced for Hodgson...come up with some new material

It blows my mind that people are complaining about the return when his contract was extremely difficult to trade and half of CDC wanted us to buy him out...

Let's just hope this isn't the only trade we make,one we didn't need to make,there were no problems in the Goaltender area.In case it's slipped anyones mind Goalscoring is our main problem.Good luck to Lou at Florida.

Archived