The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft 2014 - First Round Pick

VegasCanuck

Just think what if Kelser does go in the off season, what if a deal is made for a higher draft pick it could be a total retooling of the team. I have always said the canucks need to get younger and bigger. Especially if they want too play against the bigger teams in the new alignment. Its not rocket science but simple. I think we have done alright in the drafts, but we need too think on the bigger scale now.

I posted a proposal similar to this before and still think this is something possible on the draft day

to NYI

Kesler

Edler

to VAN

Strome

G. Reinhart

2014 1st Round Pick

The reason why the Islanders do this is that they would absoulutely have to make the playoffs next year. One being that they will be moving to the Barclay Center the season after and they will need to sell tickets. The other is that they have traded their 2015 1st rounder to Buffalo already in the Vanek trade. If they didn't make the playoffs and somehow get the top 3 picks and miss the chance to get McDavid, I think their fans would turn on them for sure. Kesler and Edler both fill their needs and they have the cap space to fit them both.

The reason why Kesler and Edler would waive is that they are going to the best city in the world and the team is moving to a really nice arena in Barclay Center. The Islanders is also a team on the rise and with Kesler and Edler, it's a good bet that they would make the 2015 playoffs and maybe even have a run.

For us, we would get 3 nice pieces for our rebuild. The 3 of them should all be grade A prospects and should all be able to be put into our lineup in the new season. Hopefully we get to get Sam Reinhart and have the Reinhart brothers play at home.

Do people realize how bad Edler is? Last time I checked he was -27 this year. He is not going anywhere and who would want him anyways?? I mean -27, that is something. Next worse +/- is Burrows at -14 and then Kesler at -10. I mean it is a staggering level of incompetence to be -27. If the Islanders HAVE to make the playoffs, they will NOT want Edler in their line up.

A good player (IMO) that Gillis should go for, is Roland Mckeown.

An offensive minded defenseman!

I'm sorry WHAT!?

Roland McKeown is very old news, and he has degraded heavily throughout this season. He is a late first round pick or early second.

I would vomit if he even got considered for top ten. He is a below average first-round calibre defenceman.

not with the high pick we'll have.

I'm hoping for either Dal Colle or Ritchie.

Hey Legend. Do I know you?

You're thinking along the same lines as I am.

We're probably going to have a top 5 or maybe 6th pick this year.

I love Dal Colle, and I drool at the thought of being able to get him, Draisaitl or Bennett.

If we stumble and they're gone before our pick, I stand by Nikolaj Ehlers.

Nonetheless, if we could catch one of the Big 6 (Draisaitl, Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart, Dal Colle, Ehlers) our future would look very bright. We probably wouldn't have to worry about our team, with the knowledge that a decent future is awaiting.

BUT.

and only BUT.

I have a qualm here.

I am very perplexed as to why it had to be this year we lost our footing and the team became a bunch of crumbly feta cheese.

I'd have loved to get a top five pick next year... Barzal.... McDavid... Hanifin.... Eichel...

I know teams never choose to suck. But the hockey gods have frowned upon this team for so long.

Shot blocking...?

Most important..........?

What................................?

Uh... Jared McCann...

How is that the most important thing.........?

The MOST important thing is fixing our damn scoring dread...

Ya Torts needs our guys to block shots... Come on strong ankles. Don't want them trying to score from the bench.

Hey Legend. Do I know you?

You're thinking along the same lines as I am.

We're probably going to have a top 5 or maybe 6th pick this year.

I love Dal Colle, and I drool at the thought of being able to get him, Draisaitl or Bennett.

If we stumble and they're gone before our pick, I stand by Nikolaj Ehlers.

Nonetheless, if we could catch one of the Big 6 (Draisaitl, Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart, Dal Colle, Ehlers) our future would look very bright. We probably wouldn't have to worry about our team, with the knowledge that a decent future is awaiting.

BUT.

and only BUT.

I have a qualm here.

I am very perplexed as to why it had to be this year we lost our footing and the team became a bunch of crumbly feta cheese.

I'd have loved to get a top five pick next year... Barzal.... McDavid... Hanifin.... Eichel...

I know teams never choose to suck. But the hockey gods have frowned upon this team for so long.

Agree with this 100% right now

Looks like your Ehlers evaluation has really come to light with the rest of the hockey world, he is number 3 on some rankings now, and hes just ridiculous

Id love Leon or Dal Colle or Bennet thoughhh

Bennet would be amazing :rolleyes:

My ranking right now is:

Reinhart

Ekblad

Bennet

Leon

Ehlers

Dal Colle

Ritchie

Perlini

Virtanen

Nylander

Kapanen

Scherbak

Fleury

I like the top picks listed

Reinhart

Ekblad

Bennet

Ehlers

Dal Colle

Ritchie

Perlini

Virtanen

Nylander

Kapanen

Fleury

I think any of these would be great to draft but if we lose to better our draft position I'd be fine with that.

Unless Vancouver gets a top two or three pick, it is highly unlikely they will get anyone who can step into the lineup next year. Except for the clearly elite juniors, it takes anywhere from three to five seasons after being drafted for a player to play regularly on an NHL club.

The Canucks' best bet for next year, if they are willing to start the season with young players, would probably be one or two of Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen or Shinkaruk.

At the draft, I would not be surprised to see them load up on defensive prospects.

Just watched some Nick Ritchie vids on YouTube. Kid looks like a beauty, great hands, quick release and he's fast. If there's one kid outside the top couple picks that could step in ASAP, maybe him, he massive.

Fighting heavy weight vets in his rookie year haha second coming of Lucic?

To put things into perspective:

1/ We trail Phoenix by 3 pts and they have 2 games in hand.

2/ We are 11 pts ahead of Calgary but Calgary has 3 games in hand.

3/ Remember when we used to cal TO the Maple Laffs....well we are way behind them at this point and have mud on our cocky faces.

4/The danger signs have been there for a while now...we had one good year where the offence was firing on all cylinders but what bothered me was that we didn't seem to mind winning come from behind games. Now that the offense has all but dried up, we seem to be playing catch up almost every game.

All I want from this years draft is a collection of players that are natural goal scorers and have size.....no more small players please. It looks like we could be drafting in the 5-7 spot and we have enough lunch bucket type players that we could add to move up if we have a chance to get a goal scorer that competes hard on a consistant basis. We need to draft players that have hockey smarts to get it done.

Drafting half pints and players that can skate like the wind but can't make a pass or stick handle to where they want to go will result in depth for the 3rd or 4th line and 5 years from now we will still be in a scoring drought.

This draft has the potential to be a defining moment for years to come....lets not screw it up by just making the playoffs and going out 4 straight again.

Making the playoffs??? BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Archived