The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft 2014 - First Round Pick

VegasCanuck

I don't follow prospects but Draisaitl and Virtanen have cool names. Hope we draft one of them, lol.

Edit: Also like Bennett and Ehlers names.

Lol I like your style! aha

Not sure about that Ritchie - Kassian comparison, I think Ritchie is quite different in playing style, and Kassian never carried his JR team like Ritchie has past cple years on his back

But I do agree Dal Colle or Leon would be amazing to land.

He is also entering one of, if not the largest and meanest division in hockey if we draft him and lets be honest....Schroeder is highly skilled as well, not translating into a solid game.

Anyone that slight at that age is not going to pack on much weight without losing a decent amount of speed and mobility and at that point he's a liability, to much risk really for not enough chance of reward.

Have to disagree, I am officially on the Ehlers band wagon, I think he can easily put on weight and be just as fast if not become faster, he is one of the most purest offensive talents I have seen. He is on a lot of scouts top 3 now.

Ehlers train a boarding! Get your hat trick hat tricks from the snack cart.

seriously though who has back to back to back hat-tricks ever?

Hat trick or better games[edit]

• Most three-or-more goal games, career: Wayne Gretzky, 50
  • Most three-or-more goal games, one season: Wayne Gretzky, 10 (1981–82 and 1983–84)
  • Most consecutive three-or-more goal games: Joe Malone, (1917–18 and again later in that season), Mike Bossy (1980–81), 3
  • Most four-or-more goal games, one season: Mario Lemieux, 3 (1992–93)

My bad, the Islanders don't have their first rounder this year. They traded it to Buffalo in the Vanek deal.

Buffalo currently holding (based on current standings) 1st and 4th pick this year. Could we pry 4th in exchange for 8th (assuming that's where we finish) and an extra prospect or pick?

I think the Isles have the option to keep the pick this year and surrender next years first to Buffalo.

My vote is for no more small forwards and I have to believe there are other good alternatives for us to pick in the top 10.

Nick Ritchie is a massive LW at 6'3 235 and would most likely be available if we pick around 5-6. Would be sick to have someone with that size and skill in our system. Perlini is quite massive too for a forward and for his age.

He is also entering one of, if not the largest and meanest division in hockey if we draft him and lets be honest....Schroeder is highly skilled as well, not translating into a solid game.

Anyone that slight at that age is not going to pack on much weight without losing a decent amount of speed and mobility and at that point he's a liability, to much risk really for not enough chance of reward.

I think if we're drafting 1-9 there's plenty of good picks to not take ehlers.. But if we go on a bit of a run here and end up in the 10-15 range and he's still there, we should take him.

I don't think he's any more of a crapshoot than the last 20 picks in the first round. I don't see any benefit of taking a lesser skilled guy cus he's bigger and could at least play on the third line some day if he doesn't pan out. We got lots of those.

Say we're 9-15 and these guys are all there, who do you take?

Barbashev McCann Ehlers Nylander Kapanen Pasternak

Meh i guess, but I think it'd do the franchise good to have at least one highly skilled pure offensive talent. We're lacking one in our system (Shinkaruk is close but no Ehlers). Ehlers is this years Drouin in a way. He plays with him too, and I'm sure some of Drouin is rubbing off on him.

Ehlers train a boarding! Get your hat trick hat tricks from the snack cart.

seriously though who has back to back to back hat-tricks ever?

Hat trick or better games[edit]

• Most three-or-more goal games, career: Wayne Gretzky, 50
  • Most three-or-more goal games, one season: Wayne Gretzky, 10 (1981–82 and 1983–84)
  • Most consecutive three-or-more goal games: Joe Malone, (1917–18 and again later in that season), Mike Bossy (1980–81), 3
  • Most four-or-more goal games, one season: Mario Lemieux, 3 (1992–93)

I think if we're drafting 1-9 there's plenty of good picks to not take ehlers.. But if we go on a bit of a run here and end up in the 10-15 range and he's still there, we should take him.

I don't think he's any more of a crapshoot than the last 20 picks in the first round. I don't see any benefit of taking a lesser skilled guy cus he's bigger and could at least play on the third line some day if he doesn't pan out. We got lots of those.

Say we're 9-15 and these guys are all there, who do you take?

Barbashev McCann Ehlers Nylander Kapanen Pasternak

I think what we all need to remember is that once he packs on the 30 pounds he will need to be 195+ pounds he will quite honestly be slower less mobile and a lot less agile.

Has anyone here ever gained 30 pounds before? I have, both working out to much and after a major surgery. You lose a lot of what makes you special.

Ask yourselves how Patty Kane would have been had he packed on 30+ pounds from his draft year to say 3 years later? Not nearly as dynamic.

If ehlers projects as a 30+ goal 80+ point guy now. What does a slower less mobile larger Ehlers translate into? 20 goals 60 points? I am sure everyone said the same about Schroeder, in fact I am sure we can peck through that thread as well.

There are just as many dynamic offensive threats in the later first rounds that are just as much of a high risk/reward player yet of a larger frame and thus more suited to our division.

Remember when Hank hit skinny little Nuge and Nuge went down for a near season ending shoulder surgery? That's the risk we run with Ehlers.

I would much rather draft a guaranteed 60+ point player with decent size in a position we need such as RW (Virtanen) or D (if Ekblad is available) or LW (Ritchie/Perlini) that can hold their own in a hyper aggressive Pacific Division as opposed to a guy who could lose much of what makes him so magical by putting on lean muscle mass and having to be regulated to such a carb heavy diet to gain weight.

I have seen his tapes, ehlers is incredible there is no doubt. But he's more suited to a skating division back east than a Sharks and Kings can do what they want physically in a size dependant division like the Pacific.

That is all I am saying. If Ekblad or Reinhart aren't available, Dal Colle is gone. We can grab Ritchie, Virtanen, Perlini and be thrilled with our luck while (in the event of getting another 1st this year) taking a flyer on a one dimensional offensive threat in the 1st or 2nd round, or we can risk our luck on ehlers and hope he doesn't Schroeder on us

If we draft a small player, he has to be a winger, built like a brick s#!+ house, very fast, and determined. All I have to say about that! I think we will tank down to about 5. If we are picking and Dalle Colle is still there, best believe he is going to be drafted by us. The chemistry between him and Cassels is undeniable.

I agree with you Warhippy, Ritchie perlini Virtanen fleury ect all better picks.. But when you look through the rest of the draft it's a lot of pretty small guys at all positions, a ton of 5'10 5'11 160-170ish guys.

Guys outside of that are Barbashev McCann at centre, mckoewn on defense.

Your almost guaranteed a smallish player if you draft outside the top ten and don't go off the board picking a guy ranked lower.

I dunno it just seems like a really small draft after the top ten. Here's to hoping we keep tanking in this wash of a season haha

I think what we all need to remember is that once he packs on the 30 pounds he will need to be 195+ pounds he will quite honestly be slower less mobile and a lot less agile.

Has anyone here ever gained 30 pounds before? I have, both working out to much and after a major surgery. You lose a lot of what makes you special.

Ask yourselves how Patty Kane would have been had he packed on 30+ pounds from his draft year to say 3 years later? Not nearly as dynamic.

If ehlers projects as a 30+ goal 80+ point guy now. What does a slower less mobile larger Ehlers translate into? 20 goals 60 points? I am sure everyone said the same about Schroeder, in fact I am sure we can peck through that thread as well.

There are just as many dynamic offensive threats in the later first rounds that are just as much of a high risk/reward player yet of a larger frame and thus more suited to our division.

Remember when Hank hit skinny little Nuge and Nuge went down for a near season ending shoulder surgery? That's the risk we run with Ehlers.

I would much rather draft a guaranteed 60+ point player with decent size in a position we need such as RW (Virtanen) or D (if Ekblad is available) or LW (Ritchie/Perlini) that can hold their own in a hyper aggressive Pacific Division as opposed to a guy who could lose much of what makes him so magical by putting on lean muscle mass and having to be regulated to such a carb heavy diet to gain weight.

I have seen his tapes, ehlers is incredible there is no doubt. But he's more suited to a skating division back east than a Sharks and Kings can do what they want physically in a size dependant division like the Pacific.

That is all I am saying. If Ekblad or Reinhart aren't available, Dal Colle is gone. We can grab Ritchie, Virtanen, Perlini and be thrilled with our luck while (in the event of getting another 1st this year) taking a flyer on a one dimensional offensive threat in the 1st or 2nd round, or we can risk our luck on ehlers and hope he doesn't Schroeder on us

Kane did pack on 20lbs.. He grew an inch in height from 5-10 to 5-11 and e went from 162ish -182 ish and it hasn't seemed to slow him down, he also is/was a little shorter than Ehlers.

Comparison to schroeders kinda silly, Schroeder is 5 ft 9. And I think he was 5 8 when drafted could be wrong there tho, and Schroeder ne'er put up crazy numbers like this or ever scored as many goals or highlight real goals, with a +56..

Either way ehlers is a shade under 6 ft could still grow a little in height and he could defn fill his frame with lean muscle mass as his body matures. Have to remember he's a rookie to North American hockey. I'm guessing his weight training and diet wasn't followed to closely up and till now. Whoever drafts him will work out a plan with him an achievable one. It's not like he's going to put 30 lbs on after binge eating doughnuts, his weight gain will be very gradual, over a few years and I don't think it will slow him down one bit, when Kane put on weight it made him more dangerous as his side became more powerful and he became harder to knock off the puck without losing speed.

I am not going to say we should pick Ehlers over say Perlini and Virtanen, but if that's the choice our scouts and managers face when we are up it will be a tough decision, and I like what all three players can offer.

Here's hoping we end up at or around the 5th overall pick and Ekblad Seth Jones' his way into our lap.

No way he gets by Edmonton but yeah that would be unreal. Be sick if any of the top guys slipped to us.

Wouldn't be shocked to see someone go dal Colle in the top 3 pushing Bennett or Reinhart to 4th. Team like nyi may be comfortable with JT and Strome and grab the winger to play with JT.. Maybe someone has it bad for draisatl too, the draft is full of surprises.

The Canucks need to do whatever it takes to draft Jake Virtanen. He's a local boy with size and skill and would play with passion on this team.

The last thing we need is another smallish European forward. I don't want Anton Rodin version 2.0. Ehlers himself said his biggest challenge is going to be adjusting to the small ice surface. I don't know about you guys but the sound of Horvat - Virtanen is a lot more intruiging to me than Horvat - Ehlers.

Being bigger doesn't necessarily mean you lose speed and agility. Booth is 6'0 212 and is very fast and agile. Kesler 6'2 205, fast as heck. Dale Weise, our fastest player at the skills comp, if i remember correctly, 6'2 210. Even Hansen is 6'1 195. So all our fastest players are big. Being big, gaining weight, gaining muscle etc, doesnt make you slower necessarily. That being said, I would rather grab Ritchie, Perlini or Virtanen over Ehlers.

How does it work again? Can't a team only move up a certain number of spots in the lottery? There's no way we draft early enough to take him before the Oilers do.

I heard that this year ever pick in the lottery has a percentage chance at 1st over all and who ever wins the lottery gets first overall that's the only position change as far as I can understand it.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-announces-changes-to-draft-lottery-1.1327512

I heard that this year ever pick in the lottery has a percentage chance at 1st over all and who ever wins the lottery gets first overall that's the only position change as far as I can understand it.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...ttery-1.1327512

Every team that misses the playoffs has a chance at first overall, aside from that the draft order is the same. The worse you do, the higher the chance of winning the lottery.

Archived