The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boycott the home games or keep supporting the team? (merged)

camerican18

Actually no, I'll be looking to pick up cheap tickets and sit in the lower bowl and cheer them on.

There are advantages to this...people who get those free tickets suddenly don't want them anymore....

That's the spirit. The upside to the team sucking is I can actually afford to go to a game or two.

The team may be bad but I still enjoy a live hockey game.

I've been a nucks fan for all my life, and frankly right now, this is the worst hockey I have ever seen them play. 7 goals in the 3rd to the 30th ranked offence sounds like a joke to me if I had not seen it actually happen.

Except the Islanders are the 15th ranked offense. No idea where you got that number.

I'm going to protest and complain like everyone else but I won't jump ship. There's nothing satisfying about switching allegiances to the best team in the NHL in any given year. Call me an idiot but there is no true reward as a fan without suffering.

Was never rich enough to buy tickets, anyway, so nothing really changes for me.

Actually no, I'll be looking to pick up cheap tickets and sit in the lower bowl and cheer them on.

There are advantages to this...people who get those free tickets suddenly don't want them anymore....

And I'll be doing the exact same, I've always supported this team and will never stop, I care too much not to care.

Yeah let's all stop supporting the team whenever they have a rough season, that'll make the team do better. :rolleyes:

I swear to god if everyone in this Province thunk like you dumb bandwagon fans that started watching Hockey during the 2011 cup run, Vancouver wouldn't even have a team pretty soon.

i might finally be able to afford to go see Canucks vs Leafs

also i can finish my seeing the 30 teams of the NHL with 8 left i even saw Thrashers before they changed to the Jets

tickets are so cheap now.. for this game, tickets were $25-30 on stubhub for upper bowl.. $45 for lower bowl and club seats were $65... it's gonna be this way till the end of the season

Oh no! I have season tickets. Torts fans please support your man. Buy my tickets at face value. No wonder we got a letter from GM. Maybe he'll offer to repurchase the remaining games.

It seems like Canuck world is falling into oblivion all around, flames descending from the heavens, fissures in the roads so deep the bottom remains unseen. With all this going on I'm just standing in the middle watching it all play out. I'm not gonna sit here and say that everything's fine and dandy and that there's nothing to worry about cause frankly I'd be wrong. But I'm also not gonna start yet another thread demanding action for the sake of action.

As fans we all have different ways of supporting our team and this team means something different to all of us. I myself have made the mistake of judging the dedication of certain fans (calling people bandwagon and fair weather fans) but it simply isn't anybodies place because in the end WE ARE ALL CANUCKS.

I'm fine with the overly critical fans holding pitchforks and torches and I'm also fine with the cheerleaders who will go down with this ship with a giant smile on their face constantly repeating "it'll be alright". I'm also fine with those who switch between those two moods as often as they change clothes.

However what I'm not fine with, actually I'm rather disgusted by it, is Canucks fans boo'ing or leaving the game early or sarcastically cheering and just simply whining about this team because it's the "relevant" thing to do. It boggles my mind why someone would spend the ludicrous amount of money to enjoy a Canucks game just to piss on it cause the team loses.

I understand the frustration of paying good money to be entertained and being let down, but sometimes cheering on your team can have a profound effect on the team itself. If you want to get the most for your money, cheer on the team so that maybe you can inspire the crowd to do the same and then the team might soak in some of the energy in the air and play better.

As an athlete myself, my team and I get big boosts when our fans cheer us on when we're losing, it reminds us what we're playing for. We can blame the core of the team for being mentally weak or blame management and coaches. The thing is, the only thing fans have control over is how loud we cheer and I'd like to see some accountability from our fans on giving up on this team.

What good does booing really do? What good does leaving the game early do? It just proves to the team down there, battling for you that they should just give up cause you already have.

You can call this idea crazy, but I remember the Canucks games of old where the building would be roaring and buzzing no matter what and the seats would be full the whole game. Funny how we had a lot more clutch comebacks in those days and just generally a higher compete level from our team. Even in the 2011 year you could see it a little bit.

I think that, as fans, we need to set an example for the players and cheer them on no matter what. It's not just the players that need to set examples for the fans, the fans also have to set examples for the players. Let them know that not competing is not an option. Booing is never a solution, but cheering might just give them the boost to show a little fight.

Sorry for the rant, and the long read. I just think that through tough times people show their true colors, let's show the world together that Vancouver is a great hockey city, let's show them that every Vancouverite bleeds blue, and maybe our team will follow suit.

Amen. None of the responses even addressed the OP's original point:

This team is a joke, its not worth the money and all the fans who claim he is a bandwagon fan aren't forking out season ticket prices.

Get real CDC we didn't need a rebuild, and now its just a travesty, lets get the management to act.

Let's be honest, going to Canucks game is no longer enjoyable, not only the team chokes this year, and the atmophere is just plain dead horrible. Ticket prices are sky high. Sure enough, many of you are just so loaded, money is no issue to you guys obviously. I'm sure the owner loves you guys, because it doesn't matter how this team is playing, the tickets will continue to sell out anyway.

Yeah let's all stop supporting the team whenever they have a rough season, that'll make the team do better. :rolleyes:

I swear to god if everyone in this Province thunk like you dumb bandwagon fans that started watching Hockey during the 2011 cup run, Vancouver wouldn't even have a team pretty soon.

the whole "bandwagon" fan argument being brought up is an interesting concept to me. Its a strange elitist attitude that "true" fans have thinking they are bigger fans by sticking with their team through thick and thin. I personally only get annoyed by fans only who start cheering for canucks come playoff time and PRETEND like they know everything about the team. But is it really so bad for a fan to stop watching a team they love to voice their displeasure? This team is boring as crap and after each game I'm left feeling depressed. At least tonight's game gave me a good laugh for a change... Why would fans wanna feel this way after each game. Most people live very busy lives and only have X amount of free time each day for themselves, should they really use that time presently to watch a sub par team showing no heart and effort ?

I have a difficult time justifying watching a game that holds little entertainment value and is left making me feel bummed out by the end of it.We dont know need more negatively in our lives right? I know when the canucks were kicking ass a few years ago, I would skip hw and class to watch them and was willing to lose sleep and do the work I missed later into the night. I'm no longer willing to make the same sacrifices. Maybe I am a bandwagon fan then. I admit I haven't been a fan as long of some of the people here (only since 2001) but if I'm gonna watch a hockey game during my spare time, I know I won't be rushing to watch the Canucks this season

Exactly what @themcdeal said. + 1000. A TRUE "fan" is someone who is deeply emotionally invested in the outcome of a game/season/streak enough to be bloody upset when their team performs in such a consistently abysmal and embarrassing way. He/she is the type of person who deserves the right to make threads like this, and whinge + moan when their team loses. They have every bloody right to scream from the top of their lungs that they are "done" with the team. It's called "disappointment". Google it.

In the case of this year, the Canucks management have so completely lost the frikin plot, so please excuse that some want to bring up this objective reality and pose fan-based solutions - like boycotts, e.t.c...

So yeah, all this happy crap on CDC by SO many posters about how "one is not a real fan if they're not consistently blowing smoke up the teams a$$ 24/7"? It's silly, juvenile, useless. Counter-intuitive. It's nonsense.

Bandwagoners are, by definition, those knuckleheads that couldn't even name a team's colors until they start to win in the deep playoffs. THOSE are the buttheads who couldn't care less about a team, they just jump on the winning track and scream "Go TEAM", but couldn't name a jersey number or player to save their own lives.

Really, I've been away from the CDC a year as I watched Gillis' train wreck in utter disbelief. In the meantime, all I read anymore is how people who are justifiably devastated by this team (and management) can't get a word in edge-wise. I see more snotty nonsense and elitist crap and "not a real fan" digs than I do conversations about the actual issues. Point is simple; if someone has bothered to create an account and is on these boards offering opinions, 99.99% of the time it's a true fan, and someone who would likely have bled Canuck blood if asked.

Honestly, if you're one of those folks that will take what has happened to this team since last year, vilify all relevant criticism and still try and "look at the positives", then YOU are doing nothing at this point but rewarding management's extremely bad behavior, and YOU are the problem with the Canucks fan-base, not the guy making this sort of OP. You're no doubt the same lot whinging and moaning that the Sedin's are somehow crappy players (past their prime) and how we need to trade away everyone and their dog because they don't suit Tortorella's egocentric and comically retarded coaching approach.

Gillis has thoroughly submarined this team, and it's time we all stopped turning it inward towards each other, and pointed justifiable anger in the direction of the culprit(s). Tortorella is obviously the wrong coach for the Canucks style of play (another fact that is also on Gillis). Adding to that miserable failure of leadership, Gillis has pi$$ed away any insurance policies we had. 2 of the best goalies in the frikin league now improving the chances of other teams while our own potential top tier goalie (Lack) is being purposefully thrown to the wolves to lose all his confidence, unnecessarily. Any GM in any city who can lose 2 top tier goaltenders in 1 year for literally NOTHING in return, while providing that team a coach that happily turns elite, highly skilled tacticians (with complex skill sets) into shot-blocking, puck-dumping simpletons? That is a GM who is either purposefully tanking this team, or just a complete bloody imbecile, far outside his depth.

That I said this doesn't mean I'm not a "real" fan. It means I care enough to analyze what has happened to a team I've loved since 1992, and speak to the REAL problems without standing around singing Kumbaya and ostracizing other fans who call for things like game boycotts. This has been a leadership group that, quite frankly, deserves NOTHING LESS than empty seats and a significant loss of revenue via boycotts. They have been killing our team handily while we sit around CDC shooting the messengers. #getagrip.

In addressing the last two comments.

There are no "real" fans, there are simply fans of different ideas and degrees of support. We're all individuals so will have varying ideas.

But the last paragraph, above, is suggesting that you somehow "know" more - you analyze what has happened and speak to the REAL problems and then go on to insult others in a Kumbaya way. #getagrip? Like somehow your perspective is correct and the others are idiots. No. You just see things differently, process them that way.

I don't believe we're qualified TO have the proper analysis or speak to the problems....if the team is having difficulty with that, I have my doubts that you (or anyone else here, including myself) have the answers. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes that also may be happening. So your analysis is just your idea...it's not scientific, proven or any more accurate than the rest.

I am quick to admit I don't have the answers and don't bother trying to pretend I know what could "fix" this team.

So perhaps there are some who aren't in the same situation as you, thus making it a different deal for them. There's talk of being so busy in one's life that there is little time to waste on this venture if it's sour.

But for some of us - this is it. This is what we have. Beyond family and work, hockey is our deal.

Hockey has always been in my life, like a friend, a comfort. Always there - win or lose, the game would go on. In bad situations, when people around me were riddled with cancer and dying and I had to hold it together, hockey was my relief from all of that. Win or lose, it was there.

So to take an attitude that everyone else is wrong is wrong. You get a bad feeling from the games and I've learned "it is what it is" and to ride it out. This too shall pass. I still am behind the players 100% because I know they want to win. They are human beings, not machines, and I feel bad for them when they lose - not myself. So I'll be in their corner, because that's what kind of person I am. You're different, no smarter. For I've learned to take the bad with the good. I will never boycott my team...I am depriving myself of something that is so important in my life if I do. I will be there at the open practice, I will be there until the last puck drop this season.

There is no fight or argument here...we're different. Just as you may like olives and I hate them, there is no right or wrong in that. Just personal preferences.

I don't try to analyze or figure out...THAT to me is the wasted time. It won't change things. Fix things...the serenity prayer nails it "to accept the things I cannot change". I'm there, at that point. It's an easier way to do it...I depleted myself in the 1994 and 2011 runs and will do it again - but, for the in betweens - I go into conservation mode. I watch and support and don't think the world will end because there'll be hockey again next year. The year after. It doesn't mean I'm detached or not invested....I am moreso than anyone. I don't miss a SECOND, ever, of any game and hold my breath and watch my blood pressure rise. But I've learned how to keep it in check...to shut it down and move on (quickly). Survival mode. It'll be ok - that's what I've learned in my years of supporting this team. Show will go on.

The day that I'll be sad is when there is no more hockey. And the fans turning away is what will make that happen moreso than anything. So no, I'm going to stick behind my team - good or bad - and be happy I have one to cheer for. Because, for me, the flipside will be a very bleak day....should I lose hockey, my life would become much emptier. The lockouts gave me a taste and I'm just happy they're playing. Last night was a collapse but there is no analysis. It was heartbreaking, but we can't "yell or neglect" the team into winning...just doesn't work that way. I'd rather throw my support behind them and hope they can pick themselves up. They've got to be feeling very low...I don't turn my back on anyone when they're in that state.

Fire away...people know I'm a homer cheerleader. But, just as I can get through this (now) without completely falling apart, as I did a short while ago when Boston rolled over us, I can take it. What hasn't broken me has made me stronger. I don't care if people think my way is wrong, it works for me. I will never abandon my team. In a matter of offering them a shred of dignity and pride, I can't do that...when I see them give the interviews, they know...they aren't happy. And I don't kick anyone when they're down... #sorry?

Go Canucks Go.

Well said Deb. Boycotting the games reeks of entitlement. I would be more upset if ownership moved our team rather than 10 more losing seasons.

So many towns would kill to have an NHL team to support.. and while this year has been upsetting its about the future for me. I want to see the prospects flourish and thats why I keep my emotional investment.

Archived