The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] BLOW IT UP

NOTE: ALL OF THESE TRADES ARE ASSUMING THEY WAIVE THEIR NTC'S. Which after the 1st star on the team does, there will be a domino effect, hopefully. 1 other assumption is that Gillis is fired so the GM will be bring change. In my discussion of whether the Sedins were untouchable or not, most people said they'd like to trade them but the contracts are too much and they won’t waive. So here are my offers:

Trades:

To Det: Henrik, Daniel Sedin (35% of their salaries retained) and Richardson

To Van: Jurco, Tatar and 3rd

To Pit: Kesler and Higgins

To Van: Poliout and 1st

To Ott: Edler and Hansen

To Van: Puempel, Stone, 1st 2015 and 2nd 2014

I think that these players will be willing to waive their NTC's even though they said they wouldn’t. Every player wants to win a cup. Hammer and Garrison stay to mentor young guns or because their hometown province is BC and I don’t think they'll leave. A bit unrealistic to think that the Sedins will move but i think it's 50/50 whether they'd waive. They wouldn't want too, but would do it for a fresh start, chance at a cup and for the good of the Canucks. Det it’s filled with Swedes. I know the retains are hefty but if we’re rebuilding, what good are the Sedins? No team wants them for $7m. Sedin twins trade will likely not happen though because management won’t trade them or they wouldn’t retain and overvalue them. Kesler trade can work now that Sutter is traded basically for his rights and that significantly lowers his value in the trade. Edler one might work if there was no 1st probably. Ottawa is a team ready to win. They need somebody to play w/ Karlsson and Edler showed his capabilities at the Olympics.

Buyout: Nobody. If any trades happen, no need to buy anybody out. We’ll have plenty of space. If we don’t have enough, buyout Booth.

Resign Stage: Resign everybody, we’ll have plenty of cap with or without the trades

Draft: Perlini or Virtanen w/ top 10 pick

Bleackley or DeAngelo, w/ pick from Pit

Free Agency: Sign ONLY players under age of 25 w/ potential to be better. We need young guys.

So to sum it all up:

In (people who think we’d get based on my trades and likelihood of waiving NTC’s, etc.):

Jurco, Tatar, 3rd 2014, Sutter, Poliout, 1st 2014, Puempel, Stone, 1st 2015 and 2nd 2014

Out: Sedins, Richardson, Kesler, Edler and Hansen

Kass- Santo– Jensen

Tatar – Bo – Jurco

Burr - Mathias - Shroeder

Sestito – Lain - Stone

Hamhuis – Tanev

Garrison -Bieksa

Stanton - Weber

Lack

Markstrom

Then next year we have one of the worst teams in the league and can hopefully either win the lottery or be low enough to draft Eichel or McDavid. Utica and CHL will have Shink, Prelini, Fox, Corrado, Poliout, Puempel, Guance, Bleackley…

Thoughts? Do you think any of these could actually happen? Just want to say that the only way to trade the twins is to retain so yeah…

The return value in each of the trades are questionable with exception of maybe the OTT trade. But to be fair I think its a fair thing to discuss whether or not to blow up the roster. The thing that I really like about this suggestion is that the offers are realistic. Most of the deals we see people throwing around are completely unreasonable. You need to look at the offers from the other team's perspective. Those deals are tailored to meet the needs of the other teams well adding depth. I am 100% on board with looking at something like this. But I think we need to keep or get in return a 1st or 2nd line center with potential. Not fond of giving up all of our centers but I think Mathias could be a good temp 2nd poss 1st line center if we were to go for the blow up route.

Lets discuss the idea of blowing up the team and instead of slashing the writer lets look at how we can improve his idea. Maybe it will inspire the management to do something along these lines. No point complaining and not being constructive with our criticism.

Thanks for the post. I know it takes a lot of courage to come out and post something like this. Knowing there will be opposition and its nice to see you take that chance because of your passion as a fan of our great team.

Realistically in the next 3 seasons we should have a good portion likely 2/3's of our prospects either intregrated into the lineup or just entering it. With that said a lot of our older forward players: Higgins, Burrows, Kesler, Richardson etc are all peices we will have to move at some point unless we plan on letting them walk. I personally am a huge fan of the idea of combing Kesler/Higgins in a deal. They have proven chemistry together and Higgins hasn't under performed this season. Peice them together and see what we can get in return. There are rumors flying around Burrows wants to poss head to NY with AV but not sure how NY would take that after last night. This team needs to retain its clutch players to help a young team go over the hump and get the xp they need. Burrows and Santo are great clutch and game changing players. 2 great guys to keep and maybe rotate out some of the older less game breaking players. Our youth will likely slot in nicely once we remove some of our veterans. Santo has to stay though :D guys a boss.

Come on. This is a joke. If Gillis or his successor did this he would be roasted. The Sedins and Richardson for Jurco Tatar and a 3rd? Oh, and retain 35% of the Sedins salaries. Wow that is just ridiculous. The other suggestions are little better. Really, this post is just "let's trade our top players for prospects and believe that is the best course of action." Come on. This is just silly. No team has done this in the history of the game. Get a job.

Stopped reading after the Detroit trade. Just absolutely awful for us.

Jurco and Tatar had a goal each today against the Bruins. The Sedins are not good anymore. They are not 1st liners anymore. If you dispute this, you're living in 2011. Jurco and Tatar are young speedy players who will eventually be good/great players. I'd rather have them then grizzled old vets.

All of these are terrible, terrible value for us.

Keep dreaming that we'll get for example: Mantha, Nyquist, Maattaa, Laughton, Schenn, etc. People on this forum actually think we can get those players. That's laughable. My trades could actually work. Obviously we'd be getting a bit worse value as of 2day, but in a couple of years, when these players are non-extistant, we'd have players in their prime, ready for a cup run.

The return value in each of the trades are questionable with exception of maybe the OTT trade. But to be fair I think its a fair thing to discuss whether or not to blow up the roster. The thing that I really like about this suggestion is that the offers are realistic. Most of the deals we see people throwing around are completely unreasonable. You need to look at the offers from the other team's perspective. Those deals are tailored to meet the needs of the other teams well adding depth. I am 100% on board with looking at something like this. But I think we need to keep or get in return a 1st or 2nd line center with potential. Not fond of giving up all of our centers but I think Mathias could be a good temp 2nd poss 1st line center if we were to go for the blow up route.

Lets discuss the idea of blowing up the team and instead of slashing the writer lets look at how we can improve his idea. Maybe it will inspire the management to do something along these lines. No point complaining and not being constructive with our criticism.

Thanks for the post. I know it takes a lot of courage to come out and post something like this. Knowing there will be opposition and its nice to see you take that chance because of your passion as a fan of our great team.

Thanks for not ripping me to pieces. I do agree that we would need another C better or equal to Horvat. I'm hoping that Horvat can somehow become a legit 1st line centre and maybe if Guance can improve his skating, he can become a great 2nd line center, Kesler replacement almost.

The thing that most ppl fail to see is that if you trade away good players (Kes, Sedins, Edler ,etc) you will not get a fair return. GM's don't overpay for older players slowely fading into the background. While the return may not be good today, it will be in the future.

The thing that most ppl fail to see is that if you trade away good players (Kes, Sedins, Edler ,etc) you will not get a fair return. GM's don't overpay for older players slowely fading into the background. While the return may not be good today, it will be in the future.

Agree with you. Something people need to take into consideration is yes.. We may get less usable value now but the talent we would get in return would far exceed what we would get if we waited to deal the players in a few years. This would also as you stated give us young players who are a similar age to that of our young core we are currently building in; Horvat, Shink, Gaunce, Cederholm, Cassels, Subban, Corrado. I think we could get more value possibly out of these teams but I think the offers you suggested would be likely the starting point of the opposing team in trade talks.

Good thing about the Pouilot deal too. He plays with our prospect Cederholm. They are a great defensive pair. I look forward to seeing them play vs the Royals this coming Tuesday.

Come on. This is a joke. If Gillis or his successor did this he would be roasted. The Sedins and Richardson for Jurco Tatar and a 3rd? Oh, and retain 35% of the Sedins salaries. Wow that is just ridiculous. The other suggestions are little better. Really, this post is just "let's trade our top players for prospects and believe that is the best course of action." Come on. This is just silly. No team has done this in the history of the game. Get a job.

Everybody hates the Detroit trade. WHY? We get 2 great young players and get rid of old guys who can't take a hit or compete w/ 1st lines anymore. Get out of 2011 and get into 2014. The Sedins aren't ELITE anymore. They're good, not ELITE. Do you have any better ideas? Do you want the Canucks to make the playoffs and get swept by the top dogs in STL, CHI, Cali teams? The 35% retain is there because we'd have a bunch of cap if any of these trades happened. Do you suggest that we keep guys eating 20% of the teams' salary?

They have 43 and 42P. Lets see who they compare w/ shall we? Soderberg, Kronwall, Vermette, Raymond, Ward, Wisnseiski, Sekera, Smith, Giordano, Alfie, so and so on. None of these guys (I think) make close to $7m. So tell me again, why is this a bad trade? Also, we could use the buyout on Booth to get more space.

We may get less usable value now but the talent we would get in return would far exceed what we would get if we waited to deal the players in a few years.

Good thing about the Pouilot deal too. He plays with our prospect Cederholm. They are a great defensive pair. I look forward to seeing them play vs the Royals this coming Tuesday.

Exactly. GMs always fall in love w/ star players and are hesitant to deal them, wven if it help the team. I say trade them while they're still in demand.

Cederholm is a monster. Holy crap! Have you seen the guy? He's HUGE.

I think the question we need to ask ourselves as a team. Is who on our existing roster will be part of our Core of tomorrow. That will give us a better idea of who should stay and who should go. Keeping a forward or defenseman or two to help the youngsters is a great idea. But in order to determine that we need determine who on our roster is going to be part of the new core.

Personally I see: Mathias, Jensen, Kassian, Tanev, Lack, and Markstrom as the 6 main players we keep moving forward. In the next 3 years the majority of the exisitng team will have been replaced by upcoming youthful prospects. This then begs the question.. Who should we keep as veterans. I myself would want to keep our hardest working and most clutch players in that of Burrows and Santo on offence and Hammer and Juice on defense.

If that is the method we go for then; then we would have 2/3 's of our existing roster overhauled. So how about we talk about who we as fans would like to keep and our reasoning behind it. Also please let me know if I missed any young prospects. I would of included Edler in the list but he is 27 and by the time this core reaches its prime he will be entering the twiilight of his career.

Lets try and keep it positive peeps.

Archived