The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stripping Kesler of his "A"

dalredane

Does anyone know why Kesler had his Assistant Captaincy taken away? I know players will say this is not a big deal, but I also know it carries a certain honour with it in the room, as well as on the ice. Signifies you are a leader and a veteran on the team.

Unless I know a good reason, it seems more of the same with the whole Luongo fiasco of giving him the "C" and then taking it away etc...

I work away so I might have missed the true story on this one.

Any ideas?

It's something management and coaching know, that's the bottom-line. Anyone outside of that can give their take but it's all speculation and irrelevant at that point because again, only coaching and management know why.

Is it a big deal? Not really. Kesler didn't have a captain status on team USA so this shouldn't be a worry. Yes is a a hardworking player but you can't assume he deserves captaincy off of that. For all we know, Kesler has moved on from being stripped of the 'A' so all is good.

There had been suggestions that Kesler was angered when he was stripped of his alternate captaincy. The Canucks used to have two different players wear A's on the road and at home. Kesler and Dan Hamhuis lost their A's when coach John Tortorella took over the team.

"I think it really does me no good to comment on that," Kesler said. "Obviously, I was hurt at the time and I have talked to Torts about it and everything is fine there."

Kesler and Tortorella both said Thursday their relationship is fine.

"He has been one of my best coaches I have played for," Kesler said. "I have learned a lot from him. I thought he turned my career around. Obviously, I was struggling for a bit there with injuries and this year I thought he really came in and wanted the best and I loved playing for him."

Does anyone know why Kesler had his Assistant Captaincy taken away? I know players will say this is not a big deal, but I also know it carries a certain honour with it in the room, as well as on the ice. Signifies you are a leader and a veteran on the team.

Unless I know a good reason, it seems more of the same with the whole Luongo fiasco of giving him the "C" and then taking it away etc...

Any ideas?

Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau have both had their Captaincy stripped and nobody made a big deal about it.

It's a letter, you don't need a letter on your jersey to be a leader.

Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau have both had their Captaincy stripped and nobody made a big deal about it.

It's a letter, you don't need a letter on your jersey to be a leader.

Are you talking about in boston and earlier in marleaus career? Because they were both still captains last game

Any ideas?

Every answer you get here will be nothing more than speculation. After a few tough injury filled seasons he may well have asked that it be given to another player (as opposed to the rotating A for home road games) and let him focus on his game instead. Maybe Torts didn't like the rotating A idea and asked the leadership group to make the decision among themselves who would wear the A throughout the season. There's been nothing at to indicate he was actually stripped of the A by management and unless he's directly asked about it we'll likely never know the why.

Btw, I'm actually rather surprised none of our local media vultures haven't asked him about it.

The name on the back doesn't matter.

The letter on the front doesn't matter.

Only the logo on the front matters.

If the Canucks want to portray Kesler as a cancer now, that's their perogative. But everyone should know that the reason he'd be traded is because the Canucks are imploding and he still wants to have a legit chance at a cup while he's got something to offer.

Remember when the Canucks made all sorts of moves to give the Sedins a legit shot at a cup? That's what Kesler wanted. But he's not going to get it. So yeah, he should very well be choked about it. Esp. when he's proven himself just as valuable if not moreso as the Sedins during their run here.

Without Kesler playing the tough minutes for them, the Sedins aren't hart/art ross kinda guys. Not at all. And without Kesler, there is no 2011 finals run. Not even close. We'd have been killed by Toews, burned by Nashville and trounced by SJ.

Kesler is alluvasudden our Rodney Dangerfield, and it makes no bloody sense that he doesn't get our full respect.

The name on the back doesn't matter.

The letter on the front doesn't matter.

Only the logo on the front matters.

If the Canucks want to portray Kesler as a cancer now, that's their perogative. But everyone should know that the reason he'd be traded is because the Canucks are imploding and he still wants to have a legit chance at a cup while he's got something to offer.

Remember when the Canucks made all sorts of moves to give the Sedins a legit shot at a cup? That's what Kesler wanted. But he's not going to get it. So yeah, he should very well be choked about it. Esp. when he's proven himself just as valuable if not moreso as the Sedins during their run here.

Without Kesler playing the tough minutes for them, the Sedins aren't hart/art ross kinda guys. Not at all. And without Kesler, there is no 2011 finals run. Not even close. We'd have been killed by Toews, burned by Nashville and trounced by SJ.

Kesler is alluvasudden our Rodney Dangerfield, and it makes no bloody sense that he doesn't get our full respect.

I haven't seen the Canucks portray Kesler as a cancer in any way at all. That's been nothing more than the fans here speculating. The fans here love to make crap up even more than the media does.

Remember when Kesler was a core player along with the Sedins? The moves made gave Kesler the same chance at a cup as the Sedins. And the same could be said of Kesler in that he doesn't get a sniff at that cup run without the Sedins. They led the team in points in that run. A cup run requires an entire team, not just one player. Your post is hogwash other than the bold part.

I haven't seen the Canucks portray Kesler as a cancer in any way at all. That's been nothing more than the fans here speculating. The fans here love to make crap up even more than the media does.

Remember when Kesler was a core player along with the Sedins? The moves made gave Kesler the same chance at a cup as the Sedins. And the same could be said of Kesler in that he doesn't get a sniff at that cup run without the Sedins. They led the team in points in that run. A cup run requires an entire team, not just one player. Your post is hogwash other than the bold part.

This is fair but its also true that Kesler can go to another team who is stacked with young talent and pursue a cup there. He will never win a cup here anymore.

If I gave you 5 million dollars a year to play hockey, would you get upset if you weren't given the 'A'?

I seriously hope that the 'A' is the last thing Torts is worried about. If Keslers feelings are hurt, then my god he is one big crybaby.

Unless the Canucks do a complete 180 next year then he will most likely be gone before that season is over anyway. A 2014-15 organization that has a legit chance to win a cup will most likely pay out the nose for his services.

The captain and assistants have to be able to represent the club and be able to effectively convey the coaches words when there is an issue on the ice.

A coach decides who is best suited speaking for him with the officials.

It also helps when the player is on the ice the most for the captain to be there when an issue goes down.

In this case,Henrik and Hamhuis would make decent representatives because of their demeanour and the fact they both log extremely high minutes.

This is fair but its also true that Kesler can go to another team who is stacked with young talent and pursue a cup there. He will never win a cup here anymore.

Never? There's no chance at all here through the rest of his career? Well we may as well stop watching for the next 8 or 10 years. lol

Going elsewhere doesn't guarantee him a cup either. He'll be pursuing a cup wherever he plays.

Tortorella said at the beginning of the year that he was going to let Henrik keep the C but he is taking the "A" away from the assistants because he didn't know if they were the leaders of this team.

He said he would re-evaluate after the first month or so.

Torts saw this:

Asks Kesler

T: Kes what do you think of being stripped?

K:Does this explain much?

5470980.jpg

Torts Figured that Kesler wouldn't mind being striped of his "A".

Archived