The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Yes. Donaldson is one of the top 3 Third Basemen in baseball imo

He's the best 3rd baseman in baseball.

I love that the Sox blew their load on PandaBear without addressing their pitching, while the Jays have addressed needs and aren't done.

AA is back. Can't wait to see what he does next. Probably push to re-sign Melky and/or pitching.

Edited by IdioticRight

Current Starting Line-Up

1) Reyes SS

2) Martin C

3) Bautista RF

4) Encarnacion 1B

5) Donalson 3B

6) Navarro DH (Probably Traded)

7) Pillar LF (Upgrade?)

8) Pompey CF

9) Goins 2B (Upgrade)

Really hoping Melky can be resigned.... Would love to see Kevin Pillar, and Mayberry Jr. used for depth.

We need an upgrade at 2B Goins imo, Goins doesn't have the bat.

If Navarro is moved we could use the likes of Smoak, Valencia, Tolleson, etc. has a DH but really hoping we would sign someone..

He's the best 3rd baseman in baseball.

I love that the Sox blew their load on PandaBear without addressing their pitching, while the Jays have addressed needs and aren't done.

AA is back. Can't wait to see what he does next. Probably push to re-sign Melky and/or pitching.

Donaldson >>>> Sandoval, but we did have to give up what would have been our 2nd baseman to get that done. Don't want Goins to be starting.

Donaldson >>>> Sandoval, but we did have to give up what would have been our 2nd baseman to get that done. Don't want Goins to be starting.

At worst the kid they picked up from the Tigers will start over Goins - but don't forget Izturis is back healthy. I know he's not a game changer, but he started off well last season before the freak clubhouse incident.

Excellent deal. As much of a fan fav Lawrie was for being Canadian and a really motivated guy, he never really fit in.

I mean he's decent-good, in between there, but injuries, inconsistent play at the plate and on defense won't cut it especially since this current team has a very slim window to do so damage otherwise they'll blow it apart.

Donaldson brings instant stability to 3rd base, just like how Martin does to the plate. Like this move imo just cause of these obvious reasons.

via ESPN

A's left fielder Josh Reddick told the newspaper it is apparent the team is in a rebuilding phase.

"This doesn't make sense to me. We just traded our best player the last two years," he told the Chronicle.

Donaldson batted .255 with 29 home runs and 98 RBIs this past season, and was named to the All-Star team. In his only two years as a regular, he finished fourth (2013) and eighth (2014) in American League MVP voting.

I'm pretty surprised A's let him go tbh. The more I'm learning and hearing about this trade, the more great stuff I hear about Donaldson. Supposedly was the heart of the A's last season. Defensively excellent, and offensively capable of 25 HR's, 100 RBI's, and a very consistent batting average.

Oh, and he has a steal of a deal at just $500K. Great move for the team. This will help out all around in all categories.

Leadership, play to back it up, and excellence.

Can't believe Donaldson is now a Blue Jay.

4 years of control too.

Reyes, Bautista, Encarnacion, Donaldson, Martin

Don't even need Melky, spend his money on some starting pitching.

Reyes will get injured max 20 games into the year. Melky is a must for this real imo of they want to compete as advertised. No reason why they should let him go. It only strengthens the team and this may very well he their last kick at the can to show they can be a contender.

Reyes will get injured max 20 games into the year. Melky is a must for this real imo of they want to compete as advertised. No reason why they should let him go. It only strengthens the team and this may very well he their last kick at the can to show they can be a contender.

Melky doesnt like the turf in Toronto at this point in his career,,I figure he may be moving on..great move for Donaldson and word on TSN is the Jays are after Jay Bruce from the Reds,,182 dingers in 7 seasons..not to bad if they land him..wont miss Melky.

Melky doesnt like the turf in Toronto at this point in his career,,I figure he may be moving on..great move for Donaldson and word on TSN is the Jays are after Jay Bruce from the Reds,,182 dingers in 7 seasons..not to bad if they land him..wont miss Melky.

Melky has no probs with turf - the reports saying otherwise were BS. Bruce isn't coming to the Jays. We were one of his no-trade clubs; given that, it'd be idiotic to bring him on.

Sign Melky for a 3 year term and add a starter/ 2 relievers and this team is in good shape.

Melky has no probs with turf - the reports saying otherwise were BS. Bruce isn't coming to the Jays. We were one of his no-trade clubs; given that, it'd be idiotic to bring him on.

Sign Melky for a 3 year term and add a starter/ 2 relievers and this team is in good shape.

Im all for keeping Melky.I really like him, love to have him sign again..but unless all the stories are wrong he is on his way elsewhere...not fussy about platooning Pillar and Dirks all season..it would be nice to have an everyday LF.

Terrible trade, and not because Lawrie is my favourite player.

Donaldson is essentially a power hitter, and that's the least of the Jays concerns, right now. Offensively, he's not that much of an upgrade, from Lawrie. Lawrie hit 11 HR last season with 70 AT, that would accumulate into 20-25HRs playing in a full season. Not much of a difference where Donaldson hit 29HRs. Defensively, both are outstanding infielders, but I would give Lawrie the edge on this one. Time and time again I heard players praising Lawrie's defensive skills, players from Buerhle to Jeter, saying he's the best 3rd basemen in the league. Those are pretty nice compliments from two of the best defensive players at their position.

Lawrie's has a ton of talent, it's just too bad his intensity level is through the roof, which causes him to be prone to injuries.

https://storify.com/allaboutgeorge/athletics-bringerofrain20-josh-donaldson-blue-jays

Jays steal the heart and soul player of 2 teams, Pirates and now Oakland. AA still needs to sign a starter, minimum 1 closer though 2 would be prefered, and Melky.

Some would argue that Lawrie was the heart and soul of the Jays.

One thing is for sure, you can never doubt his passion for the game. The guy always gave 110% on the field.

Edited by shiznak

Some would argue that Lawrie was the heart and soul of the Jays.

One thing is for sure, you can never doubt his passion for the game. The guy always gave 110% on the field.

You never know what you are giving away when your trading with Oakland.

I agree with everything you say about Lawrie, I don't think anyone would argue, just think the imjuries sealed his fate.