The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

^Shields is unlikely but possible, just not that big of a chance we get him for obvious reasons ($, other teams, Jays other positional needs).

As for McCarthy, not too sold on him. Too many injuries to sign and hope he's this teams saviour for the last kick at the can. Just have a gut wrenching feeling whaever he signs, he'll get injured and screw over that team.

Hope Jays get Rafael Soriano+Andrew Miller. That would be huge. The remaining money get a pitcher and although they probably won't have enough to get a crazy guy wouldn't mind though. Pipe dream Miller comes here but here's to wishing

^Shields is unlikely but possible, just not that big of a chance we get him for obvious reasons ($, other teams, Jays other positional needs).

As for McCarthy, not too sold on him. Too many injuries to sign and hope he's this teams saviour for the last kick at the can. Just have a gut wrenching feeling whaever he signs, he'll get injured and screw over that team.

Hope Jays get Rafael Soriano+Andrew Miller. That would be huge. The remaining money get a pitcher and although they probably won't have enough to get a crazy guy wouldn't mind though. Pipe dream Miller comes here but here's to wishing

Ya fair enough - I was more just throwing names out there as an example. Either way, they have added huge value to their starting lineup without really sacrificing their payroll. It's a great spot to be in.

Ya fair enough - I was more just throwing names out there as an example. Either way, they have added huge value to their starting lineup without really sacrificing their payroll. It's a great spot to be in.

Yea. I mean if the Jays land Miller, it's party time. If they get him, I'd be happen if that's the only reliever they get. KC showed the importance of closing this past season. Don't need many great starters/offense, as long as its good, and you have an excellent guy waiting to get the save, you're in good hands. Importance for this team is huge.

Yea. I mean if the Jays land Miller, it's party time. If they get him, I'd be happen if that's the only reliever they get. KC showed the importance of closing this past season. Don't need many great starters/offense, as long as its good, and you have an excellent guy waiting to get the save, you're in good hands. Importance for this team is huge.

Robertson is a possibility too, but I'm way more sold on Miller. He's likely looking for crazy money though, and I'm not sure if that the best way to spend when cheaper alternatives always seem to emerge every year.

Mike Wilner ‏@Wilnerness590 now
AA: People in our analytics dept. think there's a lot of offensive upside in Smoak. #Bluejays #Jays

Analytics is the way to go. Really excited to see what the starting line-up looks like. Saunders was a good pickup and should put up a decent enough .OPS.

Seems like AA has been basing all of his trades on analytical analysis.

20 million plus and Navarro's trade still left over. Looking for a SP and a RP or two.

Mike Wilner ‏@Wilnerness590 nowAA: People in our analytics dept. think there's a lot of offensive upside in Smoak. #Bluejays #Jays

Analytics is the way to go. Really excited to see what the starting line-up looks like. Saunders was a good pickup and should put up a decent enough .OPS.

Seems like AA has been basing all of his trades on analytical analysis.

20 million plus and Navarro's trade still left over. Looking for a SP and a RP or two.

Quotes like this from AA start to give credence to the rumour that he was "forced" into the big deals he made 2 years ago.

Well, AA making it clear Melky is gone at this point.

Just watching SNET and on the Happ trade AA says, "There weren't going to be many alternatives for us in the outfield that we felt good about and Saunder is a guy who felt very good about." Alex also added, "We were concerned that there wasn't anybody that fit what we were trying to find. Saunders role, he'll be our everyday left fielder, love the fact that he's a 2-way player plus a defender in left field with tremendous range, and I think we saw offensive upside and a lot of things we like."

Last Season Comparison -

Michael Saunders

Games: 78, AVG: .273, HR: 8, RBI: 34

Melky Cabrera -

Games: 139, AVG: .301, HR: 16, RBI: 73

Combined WAR over last 2 seasons - Melky: 2.8, Saunders: 3.4

...not bad at all. Never knew his stats were this good. Remember seeing him in a few games but this is very comforting. Stats are right on par (potentially even better) than Melky and at a lot cheaper price than Cabrera. He'll be missed but I'm sure Saunders will make us forget about him :)

I'm not cherry picking anything. Every offensive statistic has Donaldson above Lawrie - you just happen to pick the one stat which makes them appear close. Moreover, defensive stats have Donaldson ahead of Lawrie - and this is in a so-called off-year (according to you) where Donaldson received MVP votes.

I could care less about Donaldson being older - he has more years of control. That is the important factor.

This is all notwithstanding the fact that Lawrie came off as an egomaniac who wasn't very well liked.

I don't how you got the idea that Donaldson is a better defender. Donaldson was ranked 20th amongst 3rd basemen with 100+ appearances in fielding percentage. Donaldson also had 23 errors at 3rd base, 12 of those were routine ground balls/flyouts that he missed. Lawrie had 16 errors combine in the last 3 years.

Yes, offensively Donaldson is better than Lawrie, in terms of power. But like I stated, Lawrie has shown he put up offensive numbers, if he can stay healthy (that could change now that he doesn't have to deal with the astro-turf). You also have to factor in, Lawrie bats at the bottom in the lineup, compare to Donaldson who bats 3rd in Oakland.

From the Jays standpoint, I much rather have a guy in the 6th spot, who can put up 20+ HRs and 70+ RBIs, that's a stellar defender.

Edited by shiznak

^think of Lawrie as a kinda Evander Kaneish type player and Donaldson as an Andrew Ladd type. Big diff between the 2. One is immature, tempered, inconsistent, and injury prone. The other, although not as good, is a lot more consistent and a leader. I'll take that any day.

Yea I get what you're saying about Lawrie but his time was simply up here. Him coming in and out of the lineup broke up the flow of the team and in general was bad positional depth relying on him as the everyday guy. Past 2 years he's baaically only played 1/2 the games. Agree he's a good player but I think this trade is more about the effect of charachter and leadership change than anything and it's a bonus we get a guy of Donaldson's skill and calibre back in return.

@JoeyBats19

One of the hardest things about our game, saying goodbye to a great person, amazing teammate and friend! You will be missed! @blawrie13

Lawrie can come off as an egomaniac, due to his pitbull mentality on the field (I think he just wants to win badly).

I know people who have met him in person and I been told he's a nice guy. Always had time to give out autographs to fans who stood outside the stadium.

Edited by shiznak

@JoeyBats19

Lawrie can come off as an egomaniac, due to his pitbull mentality on the field (I think he just wants to win badly).

I know people who have met him in person and I been told he's a nice guy. Always had time to give out autographs to fans who stood outside the stadium.

I think that's what it is but Lawrie crosses the fine line at times. Great person though no doubt about it. Met him 2 years ago when I went to TO and saw a game. Real cool guy.

Rumours are starting heat up around the web that they Jays are making a major push to add a FA pitcher with their recent $$$ savings on these deals. Not sure who though....maybe Shields?!? Miller?!?

I would guess I that Navarro gets dealt for a reliever, either a closer or setup man, at some point and the Jays add a starter.

Estrada and Sanchez will battle for the starter/setup man role.

Rumours are starting heat up around the web that they Jays are making a major push to add a FA pitcher with their recent $$$ savings on these deals. Not sure who though....maybe Shields?!? Miller?!?

I would guess I that Navarro gets dealt for a reliever, either a closer or setup man, at some point and the Jays add a starter.

Estrada and Sanchez will battle for the starter/setup man role.

Gammons tweeted that a "mystery" team has entered the Lester sweepsakes. He's spoken to 3 GM's that feel there's a serious new entrant into Lester bidding. Could be the Jays.

When is AA going to start add some starting pitcher specificily elite starter and bullpen (closer).

Jays save $4M by trading Happ. If they trade Navarro that frees up more money. This has to be the plan by dumping salary along with payroll going up, to sign one of the top elite pitchers. I know they have policy of 5 years but they should make exception this one time to nab one of the elite 3 pitches if that's what it takes.

Edited by J529

Its been quite an interesting offseason so far. I dunno if this has really been discussed, but for our pitching staff if we don't make any moves besides Navarro for bullpen help, what about this?

Dickey

Stroman

Buehrle

Hutch

Norris/Estrada every few weeks to keep Norris at reasonable innings. Even Drabek if he's healthy and able to succeed again.

LR: Cecil

SU: Estrada

CL: Sanchez

Sanchez was really good out of the bullpen last season. There's not necessarily an urge to move him into a starter role right now, despite everyone saying he will start. I mean, its more affordable than giving a guy like Miller 30-40 mil for 3-4 years. Sanchez as a closer is also a great way to limit his innings while keeping him in the majors.

Well Miller won't be a Jay, signed with the Yankees.

NEW YORK, N.Y. - The Yankees made their first big moves to reshape for 2015, agreeing Friday to a $36 million, four-year contract with reliever Andrew Miller and obtaining shortstop Didi Gregorius from Arizona as part of a three-team trade that sent right-hander Shane Greene to Detroit.

Miller's acquisition gives the Yankees a bit of insurance in case they don't re-sign closer David Robertson, who is a free agent.

http://www.tsn.ca/yankees-agree-to-36-million-four-year-deal-with-lefty-miller-1.152820