The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Devon Travis basically comes out of that trade. It didn't pay off then but I guess it will in the future if Travis keeps it up.

This is true. I was never a fan of Gose from the get-go and so far I'm happy with the Gose/Travis trade. Gose is having a great year so far though, so maybe I'll be eating my words before too long.

This article makes me feel a hell of a lot better about the trade though. How about that Colon deal?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-return-halladay-stack/

Hadnt he already has a TJ surgery? I know plenty of pitchers make full recoveries from TJ nowadays but when dealing a guy like Doc I'd be looking for an almost sure thing with a healthier arm, sorta like how the mets got wheeler from San Fran for Beltran. Top prospect, healthy arm.

He had TJ surgery after the trade, I believe.

This is true. I was never a fan of Gose from the get-go and so far I'm happy with the Gose/Travis trade. Gose is having a great year so far though, so maybe I'll be eating my words before too long.

This article makes me feel a hell of a lot better about the trade though. How about that Colon deal?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-return-halladay-stack/

Even if Gose keeps it up, I'm good with this deal.

The Jays were solid in the outfield, especially with the emergence of Pillar. Second base was an area of need and Travis can hit, so even if Gose continues with his strong play, it's a good deal for the Jays.

Even if Gose keeps it up, I'm good with this deal.

The Jays were solid in the outfield, especially with the emergence of Pillar. Second base was an area of need and Travis can hit, so even if Gose continues with his strong play, it's a good deal for the Jays.

My thoughts too. Hopefully dalton pompei pans out to be a solid every day major leaguer. He still has lots of time on his side.

They can't compete and have any chance at the playoffs with this awful pitching and expect the offense to bail them out every game. Get off your arse and get some pitching help ffs.

I agree completely with this. However, the closer they get to the trade deadline the more they can get. The Jays have said they have about 6M they can spend on potentially acquiring players/trades.

Now 6M in July can get you a lot more than 6M in the middle of May.

The problem you have with waiting is A. You could fall out of the race and B. Other teams could acquire the potential pitching targets you were looking to acquire.

Should be interesting how they approach it but this division is easily up for grabs but the Jays won't be going any where with their current starting rotation.

Gose was why I watched the Jays last year, haven't even thought much of the Jays since he's gone. The young pitchers are intriguing, but in reality I'm not interested at all for the first time in 15 yrs.

Edited by Western Red

Gose was why I watched the Jays last year, haven't even thought much of the Jays since he's gone. The young pitchers are intriguing, but in reality I'm not interested at all for the first time in 15 yrs.

Pillar makes me want to flip to the Jays games now.

This team needs a manager that will instill a discipline philosophy at the plate. None of this selfish go for glory on the first pitch garbage. Pop up after pop up in rbi situations.

I'm happy to see hitters be aggressive with RISP, the first pitch is often the best to hit even at the major league level. The approaches the hitters are taking are likely more on Brook Jacoby anyway. But yeah, if it's not working in a particular game then sometimes it's advisable to switch it up.

Now Gibbons is pissing off EE by sitting him..I dont get this guys thinking...Jays are shaping up to be a major dissaster...oh...and I wasnt a Pillar fan because of his attitude last year..Im slow to come around..I understand he is playing well..maybe not so much now...but it takes me time, I just dont flip a switch and love the guy.

Now Gibbons is pissing off EE by sitting him..I dont get this guys thinking...Jays are shaping up to be a major dissaster...oh...and I wasnt a Pillar fan because of his attitude last year..Im slow to come around..I understand he is playing well..maybe not so much now...but it takes me time, I just dont flip a switch and love the guy.

Yeah I saw EE wasn't playing but was at the gym and didn't stop to read the subtitles or anything. Was there a reason stated for EE not being in the lineup? It can't be cause Gibby feels they need Smoak in the lineup.

And for Pillar, like others have stated in the Virtanen and Mccann threads, he's relatively young and his attitude will likely adjust. I just like the fact that he's the type of guy who will run through the wall to make a play.

Yeah I saw EE wasn't playing but was at the gym and didn't stop to read the subtitles or anything. Was there a reason stated for EE not being in the lineup? It can't be cause Gibby feels they need Smoak in the lineup.

And for Pillar, like others have stated in the Virtanen and Mccann threads, he's relatively young and his attitude will likely adjust. I just like the fact that he's the type of guy who will run through the wall to make a play.

from TSNs Scott McArthur....

It's not exactly clear what Gibbons is referring to when he says Encarnacion is "banged up." Few players are in perfect health at this time of year. Encarnacion did miss considerable time in spring training with a back strain.

"Feeling good; it's feeling good," said Encarnacion.

He did labour down the first base line in the second inning of Friday night's game. Encarnacion hit a chopper which deflected off pitcher Dallas Keuchel's glove toward shortstop Marwin Gonzalez. Gonzalez had time to change course, field the ball on a clean hop and throw across the diamond for the easy out.

Whether it's frustration or caution, Encarnacion rarely runs full speed to first base on groundballs. It's been particularly noticeable since he tore his quad on a close play at first early last July in Oakland. He missed more than a month of action as the Jays careened out of first place in the AL East and fell too far behind in the wild card chase.

If it was up to Encarnacion, he'd been playing.

"He told me (Friday) night he was going to give me a day off," said Encarnacion. "Okay, he's the manager."

Thats fair and I hope he turned that corner..he is actually very lucky he is still on the team...and I agree..he will go through a wall for a play..I just hope its for the team.

from TSNs Scott McArthur....

It's not exactly clear what Gibbons is referring to when he says Encarnacion is "banged up." Few players are in perfect health at this time of year. Encarnacion did miss considerable time in spring training with a back strain.

"Feeling good; it's feeling good," said Encarnacion.

He did labour down the first base line in the second inning of Friday night's game. Encarnacion hit a chopper which deflected off pitcher Dallas Keuchel's glove toward shortstop Marwin Gonzalez. Gonzalez had time to change course, field the ball on a clean hop and throw across the diamond for the easy out.

Whether it's frustration or caution, Encarnacion rarely runs full speed to first base on groundballs. It's been particularly noticeable since he tore his quad on a close play at first early last July in Oakland. He missed more than a month of action as the Jays careened out of first place in the AL East and fell too far behind in the wild card chase.

If it was up to Encarnacion, he'd been playing.

"He told me (Friday) night he was going to give me a day off," said Encarnacion. "Okay, he's the manager."

If it's a one-off kind of thing I'm not concerned. Over the course of a 162 game season, players need some days off.

Thats fair and I hope he turned that corner..he is actually very lucky he is still on the team...and I agree..he will go through a wall for a play..I just hope its for the team.

Can't disagree with you there. I'm a little biased as it's probably fairly apparent by this point that I'm a Pillar fan but I hope it works out. He's a great story and the kind of guy I'd like to see in a Jays uniform for years to come. These run-through-the-wall kinda guys are the guys that win games.

Can't disagree with you there. I'm a little biased as it's probably fairly apparent by this point that I'm a Pillar fan but I hope it works out. He's a great story and the kind of guy I'd like to see in a Jays uniform for years to come. These run-through-the-wall kinda guys are the guys that win games.

Im actually becoming a Pillar fan..it never was a talent thing with me..it was his attitude and if he has put it all behind..Ill be his biggest backer..I think one of the reasons was also I was/am a huge Rasmus fan and I felt he was pushing Colby out..but I think it was alot to do with the Jays knowing they werent going to resign him.

Im actually becoming a Pillar fan..it never was a talent thing with me..it was his attitude and if he has put it all behind..Ill be his biggest backer..I think one of the reasons was also I was/am a huge Rasmus fan and I felt he was pushing Colby out..but I think it was alot to do with the Jays knowing they werent going to resign him.

I've gotta agree with you there. I really liked Rasmus, it was fun to watch him hit when he got it going. At the same time, though, it was pretty dam frustrating to watch during some of his prolonged slumps. If you didn't like Pillar's attitude you must have questioned done the same with Rasmus'. Didn't he refuse to listen to the organization's hitting instructors, instead choosing to listen to his dad? I liked Rasmus a lot too but that's a bit ridiculous at the pro level.