The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

18 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Well of course you do everything you can to re-sign Halladay. He's pretty much indisputably the best pitcher in franchise history, and one of the best players to wear a Jays uniform period. Letting him walk in his prime would be ridiculous. Price was a mid-season rental...the expectations of keeping him were pretty low from the get-go outside of optimistic fans. As much as I'd like to have kept him, I also don't mind the fact we didn't give him that ridiculous contract. Not to mention his struggles in the playoffs...eventually, the sample size is large enough that you can reasonably assert that he simply just can't get it done. You wanna commit 7 years/217 million to a guy that ultimately hasn't proven he can take you to the promised land? I'd give that to Madison Bumgarner in a heartbeat, not so sure about Price.

So your saying just because of the way a player is acquired, limits the reasons to offer him a new contract? Price is the same calibre of Halladay, so Boston would of given Halladay the same amount. Wouldn't of mattered how long Doc was here, new management wouldn't of even negotiated a contract because they knew it would cost too much in their eyes.

The other thing that easily could of happened was sign price to 5 or 7 years come to some agreement, then after a couple years they could of traded him. He's still going to be a dominant pitcher and this way your not stuck with his contract, plus you will get something in return for him, plus you get to us him in his prime with this team for a world series run.

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So your saying just because of the way a player is acquired, limits the reasons to offer him a new contract? Price is the same calibre of Halladay, so Boston would of given Halladay the same amount. Wouldn't of mattered how long Doc was here, new management wouldn't of even negotiated a contract because they knew it would cost too much in their eyes.

The other thing that easily could of happened was sign price to 5 or 7 years come to some agreement, then after a couple years they could of traded him. He's still going to be a dominant pitcher and this way your not stuck with his contract, plus you will get something in return for him, plus you get to us him in his prime with this team for a world series run.

I'm noting he was a mid-season acquisition because they're often acquired strictly on a rental basis, and IMO I think that was always to be the more likely outcome with Price. He's also not the pitcher Doc was...prime Doc was probably the best pitcher in baseball. He was a treat to watch. 

I can't remember who noted it a page or two ago but Price was likely always going to go with the money, and I can't blame him for that, despite what him and his agent said about Toronto being his preference. You have a limited window to really cash in and he's taking advantage of that. The Jays were never going to be the highest bidder.

1 hour ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I'm noting he was a mid-season acquisition because they're often acquired strictly on a rental basis, and IMO I think that was always to be the more likely outcome with Price. He's also not the pitcher Doc was...prime Doc was probably the best pitcher in baseball. He was a treat to watch. 

I can't remember who noted it a page or two ago but Price was likely always going to go with the money, and I can't blame him for that, despite what him and his agent said about Toronto being his preference. You have a limited window to really cash in and he's taking advantage of that. The Jays were never going to be the highest bidder.

I agree..but I do recall AA saying he was working on Prices contract before he left..Shapiro probably had a hand in kiboshing AAs proposed offer to Price..thus one of the reasons leading to AA leaving the Jays...AA would have kept Price if possible..Shapiro never had any plans to keep Price.

1 hour ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I agree..but I do recall AA saying he was working on Prices contract before he left..Shapiro probably had a hand in kiboshing AAs proposed offer to Price..thus one of the reasons leading to AA leaving the Jays...AA would have kept Price if possible..Shapiro never had any plans to keep Price.

Edited by ShakyWalton

24 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Wouldn't surprise me at all.  Hence ownership bringing in a GM who didn't have the same commitment to winning.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Sharpio and Atkins have done what Rogers hired them to do. Cut costs, turn this team that's on the verge on going all the way and gutting it. They've also succeeded in pissing off the fan base by letting Price walk and now low balling, having no interest in keeping JB and EE.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, the last outlaw said:

Sharpio and Atkins have done what Rogers hired them to do. Cut costs, turn this team that's on the verge on going all the way and gutting it. They've also succeeded in pissing off the fan base by letting Price walk and now low balling, having no interest in keeping JB and EE.

If they let JB and EE walk after next? Absolutely bogus. Wonder how ticket sales will be this season. Or next if that's the case. Back to half full [or less] stadiums perhaps.

In fairness though, as much as I enjoyed Price in the regular season last year, he might as well have been benched in the post season. For 30 mil you should at least get a guy who throws a W now and then in October. 

And gutted? Really? Revere gone. Price gone. Bench warming Bush Party gone. Am I forgetting anyone? 

55 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Yeah, it really seemed like AA was intent on keeping Price. But as I mentioned a few posts up, is a guy that can't win you a playoff game (let alone a series or WS) really worth 7 years and 217 million? 

2 minutes ago, Green Building said:

If they let JB and EE walk after next? Absolutely bogus. Wonder how ticket sales will be this season. Or next if that's the case. Back to half full [or less] stadiums perhaps.

In fairness though, as much as I enjoyed Price in the regular season last year, he might as well have been benched in the post season. For 30 mil you should at least get a guy who throws a W now and then in October. 

And gutted? Really? Revere gone. Price gone. Bench warming Bush Party gone. Am I forgetting anyone? 

Yep. For 31 million a year I want a guy like Bumgarner, a true horse. And also yep, good riddance that Mune is gone. There's a plethora of better options and I found him to be more annoying than funny anyway.

Edited by Wild Sean Monahan
added the 2nd part

2 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Yeah, it really seemed like AA was intent on keeping Price. But as I mentioned a few posts up, is a guy that can't win you a playoff game (let alone a series or WS) really worth 7 years and 217 million? 

Yep. For 31 million a year I want a guy like Bumgarner, a true horse. 

Couldn't agree more. 

27 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Whose to say both JB and EE finish the season in TO. Depending on how season starts and goes both could be dealt away. Letting both them go would be a huge mistake. If your going to keep one it should be JB. The guy is clutch.

Losing both JB and EE would be gutting the team. That's what I was referring to when I used that term. It's obvious Sharpio has no intention in keeping both or either of them.

Whatever JB's contract demands are and the actual # is, nothing more them him saying FU to Rogers for being cheap, and proving the point.

Edited by the last outlaw

Sharpio and Atkins getting rid of roll over in Gibbons' contract is pretty telling too. If things go bad early on, he'll be gone fairly quickly or if Jays don't go deep in playoffs he'll most likely be gone much like Mattingly was in LA. Not that care for Gibbons, because I don't. Eric Wedge could be the new manager in waiting.

Edited by the last outlaw

1 minute ago, the last outlaw said:

Whose to say both JB and EE finish the season in TO. Depending on how season starts and goes both could be dealt away. Letting both them go would be a huge mistake. If your going to keep one it should be JB. The guy is clutch.

Losing both JB and EE would be gutting the team. That's what I was referring to when I used that term. It's obvious Sharpio has no intention in keeping both.

Whatever JB's contract demands and the actual # is, nothing more them him saying FU to Rogers for being cheap, and proving the point.

Gotcha. I thought you meant already gutted. And I agree. Letting them both walk would probably cause me to lose some measure of interest. Interest that is already wavering as MLB is my 3rd or 4th favourite sport.  

4 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Gotcha. I thought you meant already gutted. And I agree. Letting them both walk would probably cause me to lose some measure of interest. Interest that is already wavering as MLB is my 3rd or 4th favourite sport.  

As much as it's now Donaldson and Tulo's team, not retaining JB or trading him away would really signal a makeover for the team. Whether that makeover would be for better or worse remains to be seen.

That's also predicated on both JB and the Jays being reasonable in negotiations.

6 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

As much as it's now Donaldson and Tulo's team, not retaining JB or trading him away would really signal a makeover for the team. Whether that makeover would be for better or worse remains to be seen.

That's also predicated on both JB and the Jays being reasonable in negotiations.

On that note, I've asked this before a couple of times to feel out opinions but haven't received an answer. Assume JB, EE, or both are moved before their contracts expire. Would it be a winfall? Could we get a player like Syndergaard (as a comparison) back for one? Or more? 

My valuations of MLB assets in trades is hot garbage. 

2 minutes ago, Green Building said:

On that note, I've asked this before a couple of times to feel out opinions but haven't received an answer. Assume JB, EE, or both are moved before their contracts expire. Would it be a winfall? Could we get a player like Syndergaard (as a comparison) back for one? Or more? 

My valuations of MLB assets in trades is hot garbage. 

I doubt it. With all due respect to AA that trade was bad from the get go. They gave up the third and seventh best prospects in baseball at the time if my memory serves me correctly. That said, they could probably yield a pretty decent return. 

2 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I doubt it. With all due respect to AA that trade was bad from the get go. They gave up the third and seventh best prospects in baseball at the time if my memory serves me correctly. That said, they could probably yield a pretty decent return. 

Fair enough. The Donaldson trade was a raging beauty though. I wanted the Mets to do more damage just because of Noah. No disrespect to RA, but that was a bizarre trade.

10 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Fair enough. The Donaldson trade was a raging beauty though. I wanted the Mets to do more damage just because of Noah. No disrespect to RA, but that was a bizarre trade.

If the Jays win next year and RA has a positive contribution in anyway I'll consider that trade a win!

19 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Yeah the JD trade definitely helped make up for it. What bugs me is that they could've had virtually the same team last year but with Thor and d'Arnaud instead of Dickey...it's all speculation, but that seems like a better team to me. Maybe they still sign Martin (no issue there) but that allows you to flip d'Arnaud for another asset, preferably pitching.