The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Jays just signed Franklin Morales to a 1 year deal.

I'll be honest - this is a really unexpected but awesome move!

...Morales pitched in nearly 70 games last year and had an ERA of 3.18 while Cecil pitched in just over 60 with a 2.5 ERA. Best part is it gives the Jays a massively much needed lefty. 2 really solid left handers coming out of the pen now will be huge down the road and especially in crucial situations. 

Btw, Morales faced 107 lefties in 2015 and held them to .190 batting average while surrendering only 19 hits, with 8 being for extra bases. Knock on wood - if there are no severe injuries, the Jays pen should rock for majority of the year. Like the quality and depth they have going there and honestly can see a lot of games where the starter will only have to go 6 innings. That's an incredible luxury for any team to have.

10 hours ago, westcoast said:

I think the jays should go for it and get a dominant top end starter,Edwin and Jose could be gone after the season so the time is now.

I am very curious to see what Happ and Estrada can do this year. Can Estrada produce without his personal catcher Navarro? Will we see Pittsburgh Happ who in 11 games went 7-2 with a 1.85 ERA or will we see Seattle Happ who in 21 games went 4-6 with a .464 ERA? I think if Happ's anywhere between the two he should have a solid season. I don't know if Shapiro would trade for a SP come trade deadline. I think he's tried to build enough depth that if one or even two guys falter he has it covered with Floyd and Chavez in the pen and Hutchison in AAA.

36 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I am very curious to see what Happ and Estrada can do this year. Can Estrada produce without his personal catcher Navarro? Will we see Pittsburgh Happ who in 11 games went 7-2 with a 1.85 ERA or will we see Seattle Happ who in 21 games went 4-6 with a .464 ERA? I think if Happ's anywhere between the two he should have a solid season. I don't know if Shapiro would trade for a SP come trade deadline. I think he's tried to build enough depth that if one or even two guys falter he has it covered with Floyd and Chavez in the pen and Hutchison in AAA.

My concern is torontos direct matchup with the staff on a top 6 team.Tough to win if they drop both to the other teams ace.The blue jays can fire sale in the summer to rebuild the youth if they have to.Not sure if they have the assetts to get a Sonny Gray though.

21 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Was asked if I wanted to work any shift of my choice this weekend (day, afternoon, graveyard and choice of Saturday or Sunday). I had trouble deciding, knowing I had some sort of plans this weekend but couldn't remember what they were. I went with a Sunday day shift and now I've realized I'll be missing the season opener, which was the plans I had all along.

Well you still have 161 more games + to catch up on. Besides, the home opener is the game that has the better feels anyways.

• Upvote 1

Good solid win.  A lot of strike outs but the Jays were able to work the count all day and as a result get Archer out early.  Solid, solid outing by Stroman.  Love the fact that Tulo is going to be at short the whole year, I promise to never take him for granted.

5 hours ago, Pears said:

I swear some Yankees fans talk about the Jays more than their own team. 

As a baseball fan I just pipe in, I mean I could talk about the Yankees more but I don't want to show up all you jay fans. 27 rings and counting baby

18 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Good solid win.  A lot of strike outs but the Jays were able to work the count all day and as a result get Archer out early.  Solid, solid outing by Stroman.  Love the fact that Tulo is going to be at short the whole year, I promise to never take him for granted.

Felt a little bad for Stro on that last run. (affects the ERA a bit) It looked to me like Osuna had Kiermaier struck out on the pitch before he singled to score Jennings. Not sure what Laz Dias was looking at, but it looked like KK went around...

• Upvote 1