The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

2 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Agreed. He and Stroman seem to be pushing each other.  Don't want to break that up. 

You mix Happ and Estrada in with Stro and Sanchez..these guys are pitching well...its the other guy that is having a problem giving up those early leads..

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Gotcha! Kind of took it as you were implying he was put into that position, when of course it kind of just happened. But I totally understand what you mean how that can also help boost someone's confidence easily. 

Never saw the play that you're talking about, so not sure about the situation. If Martin was put in to pinch hit over Carrera then I would argue for sure that would be stupid. But if Martin was already in the game catching, hard to take him out and have Thole be your catcher if the game is tied and continues on. I bet if Navarro was still here that move may of been made for sure.

The thing is, Gibby's never been afraid to play for the win at home. (Nor should he be) How many times have we seen Edwing get on base and be pulled for a pinch runner, when the Jays need a run.

In this particular case, the Jays needed a run to win and had the leadoff guy (Pillar, I think) at second with no outs. Martin was the scheduled hitter and was slumping as usual. Meanwhile, Carerra, a good bunter was on the bench and instead of using him to sacrifice Pillar to third, Gibby let Martin do his thing which as it turned out, was to strike out.

The Jays got away with that mistake, winning it in extras, but I thought it was a poor decision to try and boost Martin's confidence by asking him for an RBI base hit, when the percentages called for the sacrifice.

10 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Yet another beauty outing for Sanchez. 

It's funny, he gave up very little to the Giants, but watching the game, I thought he was off all night.

I saw one really good curve and one really good change, (both for K's) but for the most part, all he had was the fastball. The good news is, his fastball was moving all over the place making it tough to hit, but it was also drifting out of the strike zone a lot.

In the end though, they don't ask how, they ask how many. The Jays needed a win and Sanchez delivered. They need a win tonight as well, since they get Madison Bumgarner on Wednesday.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's funny, he gave up very little to the Giants, but watching the game, I thought he was off all night.

I saw one really good curve and one really good change, (both for K's) but for the most part, all he had was the fastball. The good news is, his fastball was moving all over the place making it tough to hit, but it was also drifting out of the strike zone a lot.

In the end though, they don't ask how, they ask how many. The Jays needed a win and Sanchez delivered. They need a win tonight as well, since they get Madison Bumgarner on Wednesday.

One of the best parts of Sanchez- he can get major league hitters out with that fastball when the other stuff isn't working. He's gonna be great.

4 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

One of the best parts of Sanchez- he can get major league hitters out with that fastball when the other stuff isn't working. He's gonna be great.

What was Sanchezs problem at the end of the game..jawing the ump...and kept it up till he walked off the field..Martin even had to go out and tell him to cool off...which he didnt...he has to learn to drop that stuff..bigtime...

Just now, ShakyWalton said:

What was Sanchezs problem at the end of the game..jawing the ump...and kept it up till he walked off the field..Martin even had to go out and tell him to cool off...which he didnt...he has to learn to drop that stuff..bigtime...

Probably gets it from Bautista. The Jays fan in me loves Bautista for how great he is but the baseball fan finds him a bit annoying.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Probably gets it from Bautista. The Jays fan in me loves Bautista for how great he is but the baseball fan finds him a bit annoying.

agreed and totally understand why other players dont like him.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I agree, but I can see why he was upset. In his final at bat, the ump rang him up on a pitch 6 inches outside. Then when he was back on the mound, he gave up a walk on a pitch that was barely an inch off the outside corner.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree, but I can see why he was upset. In his final at bat, the ump rang him up on a pitch 6 inches outside. Then when he was back on the mound, he gave up a walk on a pitch that was barely an inch off the outside corner.

he was still mumbling about it walking off the mound later..it really bothered him

Just now, ShakyWalton said:

he was still mumbling about it walking off the mound later..it really bothered him

Yep. Saw that.

And you're correct. It's something that a young pitcher has to live with, because umpires can have a long memory and they don't like getting shown up by rookies.

Sanchez should take note of Stroman's attitude. In his last start he gave up a walk on a questionable call, leading to him being pulled from the game. (which later unraveled on the Jays) When being interviewed after the game, he was asked if he "disagreed with any calls out there" (paraphrasing) to which his answer was a succinct "no".

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The thing is, Gibby's never been afraid to play for the win at home. (Nor should he be) How many times have we seen Edwing get on base and be pulled for a pinch runner, when the Jays need a run.

In this particular case, the Jays needed a run to win and had the leadoff guy (Pillar, I think) at second with no outs. Martin was the scheduled hitter and was slumping as usual. Meanwhile, Carerra, a good bunter was on the bench and instead of using him to sacrifice Pillar to third, Gibby let Martin do his thing which as it turned out, was to strike out.

The Jays got away with that mistake, winning it in extras, but I thought it was a poor decision to try and boost Martin's confidence by asking him for an RBI base hit, when the percentages called for the sacrifice.

Well yes with EE the team normally has other batters who can slot into a DH role easier then a catching role.

Well what should of happened was Martin should of been bunting then instead of swinging no brainer just bad managing by Gibbons. Just FYI I am not a fan of Gibbons, don't like him ever since they brought him back for a 2nd stint with this team thought it was a stupid move.

I agree with what your saying Martin should of been bunting. But as mentioned about Gibby he has been and always will be a coach who would rather see home runs instead of small ball and that's why he's not a good coach. Plus he just has a bad time evaluating his players and what to get out of them, but in his mind it's power over small ball. Have said for years that's not going to always help you, especially in playoffs.

48 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well yes with EE the team normally has other batters who can slot into a DH role easier then a catching role.

Well what should of happened was Martin should of been bunting then instead of swinging no brainer just bad managing by Gibbons. Just FYI I am not a fan of Gibbons, don't like him ever since they brought him back for a 2nd stint with this team thought it was a stupid move.

I agree with what your saying Martin should of been bunting. But as mentioned about Gibby he has been and always will be a coach who would rather see home runs instead of small ball and that's why he's not a good coach. Plus he just has a bad time evaluating his players and what to get out of them, but in his mind it's power over small ball. Have said for years that's not going to always help you, especially in playoffs.

Normally, I'd agree with you Chuck, but Martin is a lousy bunter. IMO, bringing Zeke in to bunt for him was the percentage play. Bear in mind, if the Jays score that inning, the game is over and Thole doesn't even have to come into the game.

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I heard Buck and Babbler say he wasn't really using his curve much because it was cold. 

1 minute ago, YummyCakeFace said:

I heard Buck and Babbler say he wasn't really using his curve much because it was cold. 

I heard them say he didn't use it much because it wasn't very good. Of course, it probably wasn't very good because it was cold...^_^