The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

AA is an idiot for not upgrading the pitching (starters and bullpen). The rotation is garbage and the worst in the entire league. If he wants to save his job and have any hope of making the playoffs trade for Hamels. Then again Rogers are cheap skates and would refuse to make the financial commitment in taking on Hamel's contract.

Problem with Pillar is that he has a terrible bat. He's been a better clutch hitter than past years but his underlying numbers still suck.

.305 OBP, 5:1 SO/BB ratio, etc. Guy has got to learn how to take a walk.

His defense has been great and is what's keeping him in the line-up. His steals add value as well and if he can become a 20+ steals/season player with +++ defense and a below average bat, he should be able to stay as a starter.

The Jays pitching (especially the starters) have been hot garbage and has earned the league's best offense a below .500 record.

By age he's not that all that young but he hasn't played a whole lot in the show yet with only 117 and 326 at bats according to baseball-reference. It'll come.

AA is an idiot for not upgrading the pitching (starters and bullpen). The rotation is garbage and the worst in the entire league. If he wants to save his job and have any hope of making the playoffs trade for Hamels. Then again Rogers are cheap skates and would refuse to make the financial commitment in taking on Hamel's contract.

They would also have to overpay in trade assets too for, honestly, a guy whose best days are way behind him. A slight upgrade at best. Starting pitching is like 1/2 defensemen in the NHL, you pretty much have to draft and development them or WAY overpay in free agency or trades. To seriously upgrade the rotation would mean losing 2 of Bautista, EE, and Donaldson.

Dang, the loss of Stroman just plain sucks.

They would also have to overpay in trade assets too for, honestly, a guy whose best days are way behind him. A slight upgrade at best. Starting pitching is like 1/2 defensemen in the NHL, you pretty much have to draft and development them or WAY overpay in free agency or trades. To seriously upgrade the rotation would mean losing 2 of Bautista, EE, and Donaldson.

Dang, the loss of Stroman just plain sucks.

IMO the rotation was screwed before Stroman went down. It could look a lot better had Drabek panned out but oh well. Syndergaard and Alvarez would really help too. Like I said before, hindsight is 20/20 but god dam those trades suck.

Great performance by the Jays today. Honestly expected them to lose something like 8-2 or along those lines today. Just cause I'm used to them losing big time after a blowout win but man was I wrong. 7-0 yesterday, 7-1 today. Very solid and the pitching has picked it up considerably! :)

Ricky is gone. Even though the Jays still owe him huge money, they gave him his outright release last month.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/25/blue-jays-release-struggling-pitcher-ricky-romero

God dammit I didn't know that. To be honest it breaks my little heart to see that. Ricky was blossoming into a helluva pitcher, he was almost verging on ace status before he lost it. Obviously I didn't know him personally but in interviews and whatnot he seemed like he wanted to get back to where he was, he almost seemed embarrassed of the way he'd fallen off. Used to love watching that man pitch. Great changeup. Nice smooth, repeatable delivery from the left side. What a shame.

God dammit I didn't know that. To be honest it breaks my little heart to see that. Ricky was blossoming into a helluva pitcher, he was almost verging on ace status before he lost it. Obviously I didn't know him personally but in interviews and whatnot he seemed like he wanted to get back to where he was, he almost seemed embarrassed of the way he'd fallen off. Used to love watching that man pitch. Great changeup. Nice smooth, repeatable delivery from the left side. What a shame.

In my mind, Ricky's inexplicable decline and the fact that Drabek never reached anywhere close to what was expected are major factors that have held the Jays back for the past several years.

Imagine adding two solid, middle of the rotation starters to the roster with Jose and Eddie in their prime. The Jays might have been a playoff team a few of those seasons.

In my mind, Ricky's inexplicable decline and the fact that Drabek never reached anywhere close to what was expected are major factors that have held the Jays back for the past several years.

Imagine adding two solid, middle of the rotation starters to the roster with Jose and Eddie in their prime. The Jays might have been a playoff team a few of those seasons.

Looking back on it now, with Drabek's failure to develop they practically gave Doc away. Drabek was a good prospect but not quite blue-chip, and that's the return I would've liked for a pitcher like Doc. As for Ricky, I'd say he had already solidified himself as a number 2 in just about any reason in the year or so leading to his decline. A staff this year consisting of guys like Ricky, Drabek, Alvarez, Syndergaard, Hutch, Stroman...would've been young and pretty dam lethal

Looking back on it now, with Drabek's failure to develop they practically gave Doc away. Drabek was a good prospect but not quite blue-chip, and that's the return I would've liked for a pitcher like Doc. As for Ricky, I'd say he had already solidified himself as a number 2 in just about any reason in the year or so leading to his decline. A staff this year consisting of guys like Ricky, Drabek, Alvarez, Syndergaard, Hutch, Stroman...would've been young and pretty dam lethal

I'd still do that Marlin mega trade, to be honest. Buerhle has been a solid innings eater as advertised. If we can wish that Romero hadn't fallen off a cliff pitching-wise, we could also wish that Reyes wasn't having the injury issues. We'd then have one of the top short stops and lead off men in the league night in/night out.

I'd still do that Marlin mega trade, to be honest. Buerhle has been a solid innings eater as advertised. If we can wish that Romero hadn't fallen off a cliff pitching-wise, we could also wish that Reyes wasn't having the injury issues. We'd then have one of the top short stops and lead off men in the league night in/night out.

Yeah I definitely don't hate that trade nearly as much as the Dickey deal. If Johnson had even been half of his old self it would've made it a lot better too, but he was awful as a Jay. Buehrle...I just love to watch him pitch. Can't help but admire a guy that can do what he does with a mid-80's fastball. Then again, Hechavarria has pretty much turned into what they'd hoped Reyes to be. And I'll admit I wasn't a fan of Alvarez as a Jay. The stuff was definitely there but he wasn't cutting it in the bigs at that point but stayed up anyways. Marisnick could be a boom-or-bust sort of guy too. All in all it wasn't a bad deal really, especially if Johnson had shown up. Buehrle has been the big piece to date, providing a great veteran presence and a ton of consistency since coming over.

I agree. That trade looked great at the time and only 20/20 hindsight might have changed my mind.

Wasn't Drabek ranked in the top 5 in pitching prospects, that year?

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Wasn't Drabek ranked in the top 5 in pitching prospects, that year?

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Yeah, you can't really fault the Jays for that one. (It was JP Riccardi wasn't it?) Drabek looked like a sure thing at the time and as I recall it, the Jays turned down a deal from the Red Sox that would have sent Clay Buchholz to T.O., holding out for a "better" deal, which most observers thought they got from the Phillies.

Yeah, you can't really fault the Jays for that one. (It was JP Riccardi wasn't it?) Drabek looked like a sure thing at the time and as I recall it, the Jays turned down a deal from the Red Sox that would have sent Clay Buchholz to T.O., holding out for a "better" deal, which most observers thought they got from the Phillies.

Hadnt he already has a TJ surgery? I know plenty of pitchers make full recoveries from TJ nowadays but when dealing a guy like Doc I'd be looking for an almost sure thing with a healthier arm, sorta like how the mets got wheeler from San Fran for Beltran. Top prospect, healthy arm.