The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

4 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

To me they should be willing to deal any prospect except for Reid-Foley, Guerrero, Alford and maybe Urena.

Urena is ranked #89 and RF is ranked #93 in MLBs top 100 prospects. 

Guerrero Jr. is rated as most likely to jump up high on that list and the Jays signed him for 3 million at 16 as he had the same tools and ability his dad did. They're currently trying to convert him from OF to 3rd Base.

He's currently 17, 6'1-200 and best of all... He was born in Montreal as Vlad Sr. Was playing for the expos at the time. He'll have amazing power and could be in our lineup as early as 20 years old.

Alford has regressed a little but is still as solid as they come. I wouldn't give up on him just yet. Probably will make the jump to triple A next year. But worse case will be in AA. 

I thought they were considered to be quite different. Jr doesn't have the lean body type and raw athleticism that his dad did. Arm strength is a knock on him while it was a + tool for his dad. From what I've read he has a little more raw power than his dad but not the same ability to make consistent hard contact and cover the whole hitting zone (neither is unusual at his age though). Vlad Sr was a 5 tool guy but it sounds like Jr will have to rely on his ability to hit for power to establish himself as a major leaguer.

3 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

What's that?

It was Santos who would later inform Ortiz that the Mariners had dealt him to the Twins in 1996 as a player to be named in exchange for third baseman Dave Hollins. While Ortiz has a fondness for the Mariners, he recalls Seattle’s decision to deal him as having illuminated another sense of possibility.

https://thedrive.bangordailynews.com/2016/06/11/sports/minnesota-nice-thanks-for-david-ortiz-by-sterling-pingree/

3 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I thought they were considered to be quite different. Jr doesn't have the lean body type and raw athleticism that his dad did. Arm strength is a knock on him while it was a + tool for his dad. From what I've read he has a little more raw power than his dad but not the same ability to make consistent hard contact and cover the whole hitting zone (neither is unusual at his age though). Vlad Sr was a 5 tool guy but it sounds like Jr will have to rely on his ability to hit for power to establish himself as a major leaguer.

They say he can cover the whole zone and hit to both sides of the park. Great hitter so far(gotta remember he's only 17) but yes his athleticism isn't as developed. Jays are trying hard to make him a 3B. His natural position is OF but may not have the speed to be a major league fielder. So the backup plan is to develop him as a 1B (EE style) if he can't gain the fielding tools. 

They say his power should be superior to his fathers if he keeps gaining. Remember too, his dad would be a great reference for him to learn how to hit.

Just now, Standing_Tall#37 said:

1 hr left boys. By 1:30 we'll know the intentions of this management. That is whether they're here just to make money for Rogers and ride AAs coat tails or if they're here to baseball.

My money is on this.

14 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

1 hr left boys. By 1:30 we'll know the intentions of this management. That is whether they're here just to make money for Rogers and ride AAs coat tails or if they're here to baseball.

Have you seen the asking price for some of these players? It has nothing to do with Rogers being cheap. The Jays have a good team, they don't need to pay a kings ransom for the players on the market.

Theyve contacted multiple teams. It's not like they're not trying to make a trade

Edit: Everyone needs to get over AA. If he was still here we wouldn't have Happ or Estrada on this years roster.

Edited by Xbox
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Have you seen the asking price for some of these players? It has nothing to do with Rogers being cheap. The Jays have a good team, they don't need to pay a kings ransom for the players on the market.

Theyve contacted multiple teams. It's not like they're not trying to make a trade

No ifs ands or buts about it...they need pitching help...they know this...we know this...Rogers is loaded and they have the top attendance in the AL...no excuse for cheaping out and not getting a new arm.

7 minutes ago, Xbox said:

You pay for what you get. So far there's only 2 pitchers that appear to be good to go down the stretch; Stroman and Happ.

Estrada- been solid but if his back flares up again we're in trouble.

Sanchez- lights out but is it worth risking his arm for 1 playoff run? (To me it's not) 

Dickey - lasting three innings and pitching a 6 era as of late is not a recipe for success.

if we don't do something we will probably lose out to the bo sox and Os. And be in a dogfight with the Astros and Tigers for the last playoff spot. This is our last real crack at the playoffs or championship for probably 10-15 years. It's now or never.

- Just for curiousity sakes what is the asking price on some of these guys? I'd expect to give up Connor Greene, Urena and Tellez or a combination of two of them for a #2 starter...

I'm not denying Rogers is cheap. That part is obvious. I despise them and I'm a Bell customer. But the thing is, that has nothing to do with the lack of trades today. 

Standing tall, just look at what the Yankees commanded for Miller and Chapman. Would you want to give that much up? I sure wouldn't. Teams are asking a kings ransom for pitchers this year because the upcoming free agency pool for pitchers is thin.

Jays have contacted the Twins, Phillies and Athletics for pitching help. Yankees ruined it for us by setting this years market for TD pitchers insanely high.

Edited by Xbox

43 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

They say he can cover the whole zone and hit to both sides of the park. Great hitter so far(gotta remember he's only 17) but yes his athleticism isn't as developed. Jays are trying hard to make him a 3B. His natural position is OF but may not have the speed to be a major league fielder. So the backup plan is to develop him as a 1B (EE style) if he can't gain the fielding tools. 

They say his power should be superior to his fathers if he keeps gaining. Remember too, his dad would be a great reference for him to learn how to hit.

Yeah, I'm not saying that there's no similarities but they're pretty different as

players. From what I've read of Jr, he most likely ends up at 1st base or as a below average 3rd baseman. He lacks the athleticism and arm strength to play the position at a high level, two tools his father was noted for. His bat is what will make his career. His power is impressive, especially at his age. Being as young as he is many things could change still but this is how it looks at the moment.

7 minutes ago, Xbox said:

YES!!! Good riddance Jesse Chavez. You won't be missed and I'm glad you're gone.

I think it is pitching prospect Guadalupe Chavez, not Jesse.

G. Chavez is 6'2 and 150 pounds. How?

A bit surprised Astros would make this trade considering they'll be fighting for a wildcard spot and Chavez won't help with that.

Edited by Down by the River

3 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I think it is pitching prospect Guadalupe Chavez, not Jesse.

G. Chavez is 6'2 and 150 pounds. How?

A bit surprised Astros would make this trade considering they'll be fighting for a wildcard spot and Chavez won't help with that.

Jesse Chavez was traded to the Dodgers. 

• Upvote 1