The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The guys a Jays' Central have been going on a lot about how Liriano has been saying "he'll do whatever is asked of him". Assuming the Jays make the postseason, I think he could possibly be an effective alternative to Cecil from the left side.

I like that attitude. It remains to be seen if he can establish himself as a viable option, whether it be as a starter or a reliever, but he could be handy. I'm optimistic about Liriano myself after watching him be very effective for so many years. Can't wait to watch him later today.

3 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I like that attitude. It remains to be seen if he can establish himself as a viable option, whether it be as a starter or a reliever, but he could be handy. I'm optimistic about Liriano myself after watching him be very effective for so many years. Can't wait to watch him later today.

According to Russell Martin, all of Liriano's pitches are "above average". It remains to be seen of course, but he just might be more effective in a relief role, where he doesn't see a batter more than a couple of times.

I too am anxious to see how he does. Hopefully RM can make the difference. 

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

According to Russell Martin, all of Liriano's pitches are "above average". It remains to be seen of course, but he just might be more effective in a relief role, where he doesn't see a batter more than a couple of times.

I too am anxious to see how he does. Hopefully RM can make the difference. 

I think it's a bit of a high-risk/high-reward move. I'm not sure how I feel about having the contracts of Liriano and Upton on the books for next year when they need to re-sign EE and Saunders. I've already figured JB is gone, and the sensible side of me figures EE will be too. 

I dont think he (Liriano) could simply "lose it" at his age after years of sustained success, like Zaun has suggested, but it remains to be seen. From what I can remember he doesn't really have a ++ out pitch like most great relievers do, he just has some good-but-not-great stuff that he can move around and change speeds on to get hitters out.

16 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I think it's a bit of a high-risk/high-reward move. I'm not sure how I feel about having the contracts of Liriano and Upton on the books for next year when they need to re-sign EE and Saunders. I've already figured JB is gone, and the sensible side of me figures EE will be too. 

I dont think he (Liriano) could simply "lose it" at his age after years of sustained success, like Zaun has suggested, but it remains to be seen. From what I can remember he doesn't really have a ++ out pitch like most great relievers do, he just has some good-but-not-great stuff that he can move around and change speeds on to get hitters out.

I don't disagree. Until we see him take the mound, we can't really be sure about anything.

As far as being a reliever goes, my guess is he'd be more of a long man, along with Dickey, once the playoffs roll around.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't disagree. Until we see him take the mound, we can't really be sure about anything.

As far as being a reliever goes, my guess is he'd be more of a long man, along with Dickey, once the playoffs roll around.

Once the playoffs come around, don't we kinda hope a long man isn't needed? Ideal scenario: starter shoves for 7+ innings, osuna/grille/Benoit does the rest

5 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Once the playoffs come around, don't we kinda hope a long man isn't needed? Ideal scenario: starter shoves for 7+ innings, osuna/grille/Benoit does the rest

:lol: We certainly do.

I was thinking a "worst case scenario". As someone already pointed out, if Dickey is needed, then so is Thole. Russell might not be tearing the cover off the ball, but compared to Thole, he's the second coming of Rod Carew.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, numb3r 16 said:

What happened? Away  right now so can't watch the game

In the 1st Barney made an error when it was an easy out...ended up being the first run for KC...he got out of the inning  though..

Saunders just doubled and scored JD...finally Mike.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

In the 1st Barney made an error when it was an easy out...ended up being the first run for KC...he got out of the inning  though..

Saunders just doubled and scored JD...finally Mike.

I wanna see Upton get a hit or two tonight. A walk is a good start.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Standing_Tall#37 said:

You know... Lariano looks not to bad out there. He's keeping the ball down and close to the plate. Looks very efficient so far. 

I missed the first inning but he's looked good in the 2.2 innings I've watched. He's locating his fastball with some velocity and his slider looks sharp. 

Just now, Standing_Tall#37 said:

If he can get out of the inning in the next 6 pitches without giving up a run, it's not bad to average 12 pitches/inning.

15 or less and you're doing just fine. At this pace he'll be able to give them 6-7 good innings which is more than enough.  

1 minute ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

15 or less and you're doing just fine. At this pace he'll be able to give them 6-7 good innings which is more than enough.  

Hell he could go 8 fairly easily. 100 pitches isn't a big deal right now with that extra rest day a 6-man rotation gives them.

i expect we'll see lots of good outings down the stretch from the rotation. No one wants to be out for the playoffs and with only 3-4 starters needed, they'll be playing to prove that they're gonna be the guy you want to keep for a playoff run.

• Upvote 1