The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

14 hours ago, Down by the River said:

huh_zpstbyxzplp.png

Number 4 was a ball, number 5 a strike...

The home plate ump had a terrible night. As was already pointed out, he was fairly consistent with the high, inside strike call, but he was all over the map on other pitches. I remember one AB where one of the Jays' hitters laid off a ball a few inches below the strike zone, only to have it called a strike. The very next pitch was in the same area (maybe even a bit lower) but he swung and grounded it to short, because he felt he had to swing.

Chris Davis was rung up on a pitch that was obviously a ball as well....

45 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The home plate ump had a terrible night. As was already pointed out, he was fairly consistent with the high, inside strike call, but he was all over the map on other pitches. I remember one AB where one of the Jays' hitters laid off a ball a few inches below the strike zone, only to have it called a strike. The very next pitch was in the same area (maybe even a bit lower) but he swung and grounded it to short, because he felt he had to swing.

Chris Davis was rung up on a pitch that was obviously a ball as well....

Yep, definitely an odd strike zone last night.  At least we never got the feeling that one team was getting the shaft, although I thought Miley really took advantage of that inside corner "strike" more than the Jays pitchers.  Heh, knowing the two teams playing, maybe that was the umps way of keeping the score lower.

That being said, with consistent professional bats, the Jays were able to get 5 runs.  I'm no fan of striking out a lot, but am willing to forgive last night (especially when compared to the series in Houston, ugh, that was horrific).

Just now, numb3r 16 said:

Switch saunders and pillar, even tho saunders has great numbers against jimenez he's been pretty inconsistent since all-star 

Yeah I only meant we have our top 9 all playing at the same time as our ace pitcher. I still don't like Joey Bats at #1 but all of those batters deserve top 5 so I guess someones gotta leadoff. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, numb3r 16 said:

Also don't mind putting Travis in leadoff, bautista has terrible numbers against jim

Totally agree.  I think sometimes the only thing stopping Gibbons from moving Bautista down is that the Jays record with Bautista leading off has been exceptionally good and if it ain't broke why fix it?.  Personally, I think that the record is just an anomaly, not that Bautista hasn't been bad there, it just makes more sense to have Travis lead off, particularly since he has put up better numbers in the leadoff stop this year than last.

Dirk Hayhurst wrote a very good article on this the other day:  http://www.tsn.ca/bautista-best-suited-as-dh-lower-in-the-order-1.557071

8 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

Also don't mind putting Travis in leadoff, bautista has terrible numbers against jim

If you put Travis at #1 then on of Martin/Tulo/JB/EE/JD will be out of the top 5 which none of them deserve. I look at it this way - Travis is still right before Bats/JD/EE in the order so you could think of it as 1/2/3/4. As long as it's not 3 up 3 down like last night.

22 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

Could it be the jay's???

My guess is Red Sox or White Sox. Probably the Red Sox since they lost Benintendi, but could also be the White Sox since they were trying to acquire him at the deadline.

Edited by Xbox

16 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Why not have Bautista lower in the line up until he gets his bat back coming off of injury. Travis should be leading off to get him that possible extra at bat being the highest batting average on the team. Another thing I disagree with Gibby about. 

Pretty sure Travis is batting lower because of his injury. Bautista got a home run last night, but I still don't like him leading off.