The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Change coming today?

topbananas

Yah ... Markstrom in goal, right?

My prediction: After last night's "FI-RE GIL-LIS" chants, he goes to Aquaman and insists that Torts be fired for that poor performance of a game. Aquaman says no. Gillis resigns.

Truth is exposed, owners are meddlers.

Gillis won't resign... he will let himself get fired. That way he keeps getting paid through to the end of his contract.

I suspect that his tone in that 1040 interview was intended to get himself fired.... well an ultimatum really, either he gets to do things his way or the owner can fire him.

It was different enough that his other interviews, I am confident there was an ulterior motive at work.

By the way, I love Linden... but he isn't the answer as either GM or coach.

He is far less respected outside Vancouver than you think. Lots of older players blame him for getting a lousy contract when he was in the PA. He was vilified pretty strongly even years afterwards.

Linden as President or some PR role is fine.... Naslund as Head of European Scouting is fine.

Still needs to pay his dues...starting out as an assistant...likely in the AHL. You don't just become an NHL coach over night.

You are probably right, however I still think he would be a bit of an upgrade. Not that Torts doesn't have more coaching knowledge, I just think he has lost the team.

If they're going to make a change, it'll probably be after the season is over rather than in the next 24-48 hours. It would be pretty dumb to have this stuff happen before Quinn's Ring of Honour thing.

they are thinking of season ticket renewals , not the ring of honour

I don't like the idea of Linden getting involved at the management level. If things continue to go wrong, our relationship and feelings towards Linden will change forever.

Posting from mobile so I can't post the full article but it sounds like Torts is preparing to be back next season.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/04/08/markus-naslund-declines-comment-as-to-whether-hes-heard-from-the-canucks/

IMO it was Gillis who should have been fired last summer, not AV. If anyone needs to go now it is Gillis. He signed the heinous Luongo contract, he traded Cory Schneider, he handed out a zillion NTC's, and he is the common thread to a declining team

IMO it was Gillis who should have been fired last summer, not AV. If anyone needs to go now it is Gillis. He signed the heinous Luongo contract, he traded Cory Schneider, he handed out a zillion NTC's, and he is the common thread to a declining team

Although I don't necessarily disagree that perhaps it is time for Gillis and the Canucks to part ways, his moves aren't as cut and dry as you make them out to be. Yes, he signed Luongo to that contract; however, Luongo and his agent had a hand in that as well. It was also common practice in the old CBA for GMs to use contracts like his. The NTCs, while perhaps a few too many, help sign/re-sign players to much lower cap hits then they would get in other, much more poorly run organizations. As for trading Schneider, I still believe that was the best move. They got a terrific draft pick in return, and Schneider being here wouldn't have changed the outcome this season whatsoever. One area that all people agree on is the Canucks ability to develop their goaltenders. Lack has provided exactly what the Canucks without Luongo and Schneider, steady goaltending for now and in the future for a team that is looking to rebuild on the fly. Trading Schneider was needed.

they are thinking of season ticket renewals , not the ring of honour

Firing the GM or coach isn't going to automatically get you more of those. Also, wasn't there a wait list of several years? The ones that don't renew will get picked up by someone else. I think this is more about going through a big change that's needed rather than trying to scrape together a few season tickets that would be bought be other people anyways.

For those who wants Gillis gone, think about it...I doubt the owners wants to pay Gillis and Torts 17M in the next 5 years on top of the new Coach and GM.

If they do fire both, then imagine the raise in ticket prices for this one

If Gillis is gone, Aqualini would probably ask the new GM to keep tort around for a year a two. Do we really want our new GM to be limited in such a way early on and be a pushover by the owners? Don't think that will help more than keeping Gillis and canning Torts.

They make 17M in no time. They may be frugile but when your product makes you 100+ times what you are going to lose; you will fix your product. The org makes a ton of cash when it comes to management/coaching its best to eat the bullet and maybe next time stay out of day to day management. So they dont need another scape goat. Feel bad for Gillis but he needs to go

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger

Not sure exactly what will go down in Van today, but Trevor Linden's name is in the mix. Perhaps, Van using Sakic and Av's template...#TSN

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie

Further to @DarrenDreger, nothing official yet, but sounds like Trevor Linden expected to be new president in VAN.

#Linden4President !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WooohoooO!! give us Linden!!! who will be GM?

One thing to consider. Given what the tweet said Linden wouldn't be our GM but rather he would over see the business side of the organization. So realistically he would be the GM's boss so I don't think his name with be soiled given he wouldn't be in charge of day to day team operations.

Wish Linden would become our prez.

Whatever happens, I just hope the guy coming in to potentially replace Gillis isn't being brought in to try and patch up this Canucks lineup, desperately trying to claw their way back in to the bottom of the top 8 next season for playoff revenue, with no regard for the long term future of the team.

We all know the Canucks are a corporate entertainment draw first, and a local hockey team second.

At this point, everything that's been said this week, from Gillis' rant about style of play, to Kesler claiming he wants to stay in Vancouver, has been nothing more than an attempt to sway seasons ticket holders to renew for next year. It's all about revenue, and whatever changes are coming are being made to protect profits today, not the health or depth of the team on the ice next season.

I see a 2-3 year gap between the core now, and the youth expected to replace them. I think Gillis sees that and may be prepared to do what's best for the hockey team, not the books, and that might be where he is most at odds with the Aquilini's.

I don't like the idea of Linden getting involved at the management level. If things continue to go wrong, our relationship and feelings towards Linden will change forever.

Posting from mobile so I can't post the full article but it sounds like Torts is preparing to be back next season.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/04/08/markus-naslund-declines-comment-as-to-whether-hes-heard-from-the-canucks/

People keep forgetting that the Aquaweenies refused to buyout luongo when that was what was best for the franchise. Which in turn, pretty much forced Gillis' hand to trade Schneider. Not a huge fan of Gillis but the owners deserve a lot of the blame for being cheap sons of bitches and not doing the right thing for this franchise . Bryzgalov was bought out without even a second thought. Hell Tampa, who brings in a fraction of what the canucks do, ponied up for a Lecavalier buyout. Not buying out Luongo for this franchise is inexcusable.

Archived