The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] President Trevor Linden

Strombone1

Point was - we were not a dominate force.

IMHO, we were a bit over rated, if not for Luongo, we would have been swept in the finals like the Islanders did to us the first time.

Yes, we had injuries - but lacked depth...

we were, except it was only for that one season. we weren't an "elite" team for 4 or 5 straight seasons like people think we were

if things don't improve then no he won't, doesn't matter if he's Trevor Linden he's not immune to being fired the same as anyone else would be

He might be moved to a different position (See Stan Smyl), but he will be here for as long as he wants

Wouldn't be surprised about Kesler but I have a hard time believing any GM will get rid of Burrows so easily. Extremely versatile, hardworking 2 way player and is the defacto "fail safe" line mate for the twins should say Jensen (or Kassian, or UFA etc) be injured, slump....

That's not a piece you move too quickly IMO.

Yeah but...Burrows is paid to score and he only got 13 goals last year, and before you whine about injuries, he has played 1 less game this year than last and only has 5 goals. If he's "playing injured" then he shouldn't be playing at all as he's not productive and I would rather see someone else take up a roster spot and cap space.

$6 million (salary this year) is a lot for 5 goals....yes, $4.5 million cap hit...

The only thing I didn't like from his presser is that he seems reluctant to change to core. Trevor spoke about us having a great core of players that he played with, and that "deserve to be here".

Trev is too classy to talk about moving core players until the season is over.

Anyone can see that there has to be some changes if the team is to get back on track.

In a year that has the cap going up, along with a terrible UFA pool (who are all anticipating overpayment), the team could do well by trading a couple of core players (who have decent salary cap).

Who is Benning? If it's the assistant GM from the preds that's been the guy behind all their picks then yes please......

Jim Benning.

• Played for the Canucks from 1986 to 1990 (with Linden for a couple of those years FWIW)
  • Head of Scouting for Buffalo 1998 to 2004
  • Hired as Assitant GM of the Bruins in 2006

Yeah but...Burrows is paid to score and he only got 13 goals last year, and before you whine about injuries, he has played 1 less game this year than last and only has 5 goals. If he's "playing injured" then he shouldn't be playing at all as he's not productive and I would rather see someone else take up a roster spot and cap space.

$6 million (salary this year) is a lot for 5 goals....yes, $4.5 million cap hit...

Well if he's so horrible, which team are we going to trade him to and for what brand of peanuts? ;)

If that's how you see it I can totally live with that. Player safety in that case should have been Paramount. It's these people blowing smoke up MG's butt when all the facts point to MG making pretty stupid comments regarding the reasoning and timing of his decision. Lot's of these guys just like to argue with anything.

Shoot, I'm no better.

We are both guilty, but hey, it comes from passion of the same team and goal so I'm down. I don't think we are far off on our opinion, in my original post I was not referring to Manny coming back for the finals. The fact he played when he was conveniently needed and then shut down the next season was suspect. Manny being shut down in 2012 wasn't suspect...to me. Now he has had the time to heal I am literally ecstatic for him. I hope he ends up back here in some capacity, he is a warrior.

I was a little surprised by the hiring. I thought recently retired Hockey Canada President Bob Nicholson was going to be announced as the new Canuck President today.

However, Linden as President does give the organization an instant shot of integrity, which at face value may be more important than experience presently, and should have a positive effect on dwindling season ticket renewals.

In any event, it seems that the Gillis plan is in effect, the Canucks are getting bigger and younger, even at the level of President.

Jim Benning.

• Played for the Canucks from 1986 to 1990 (with Linden for a couple of those years FWIW)

Yeah, I'd go for that - Shanny would be higher "profile" but Shanny has probably burned some bridges with some NHL teams...

Jim Benning.

I completely forgot about that.

I wonder…..Steamer will have a good history with him too. Might be a natural fit.

Originally I thought you were taking a shot in the dark but that idea could have some legs.

Yes Trevor is a nice man and all. BUT if the team starts losing next season and goes out the playoff picture the blame game will start. People will start to point fingers and Trevor could be the target. See the thing is when fans see their team start to lose, some will start to blame Trevor for his inexperience etc. Look at Obama, how is was worshipped early on and when he started to make bad decisions he become an ordinary president.

Unless "blackmail other team's GMs into making one sided trades that benefit the canucks" is a card Linden has tucked up his sleeve it's unlikely that we don't get a little (or a lot) worse before we get better.

Benning is the Ass. GM in Boston.

The guy you are thinking of is Paul Fenton.

I see. Don't know anything about Boston guy but based on the team and the owner he has been working for he would certainly be in the old boy network.

Edit: And after seeing JR's post I wouldn't be even mildly surprised if that is who is taken. Of course depends on contracts and all that but if Boston allows it I could see him being on the list. And as a former head of scouting he would be the perfect third head to the three headed monster just as the guy I was talking about.

(And if you are wondering, the perfect three headed monster is the analyst (the GM with a scouting background), the accountant (Gilman, the capologist, or barring that someone of equal ability), and the salesmen (Linden).)

Yeah, I'd go for that - Shanny would be higher "profile" but Shanny has probably burned some bridges with some NHL teams...

He also has zero GM experience.

Benning will have some ties with the league power brokers from his years in Buffalo but more so Boston, has experience and has an EXCELLENT eye for drafting.

He's also from BC and played not only for the Canucks but with Trevor.

I don't know how anyone could be a better fit honestly.

Archived