[Report] President Trevor Linden

Strombone1

Hmm....Trevor takes over as President.

16 games to win the cup.

2016 coming up.

Trevor wore #16.

Fox scored 64 goals. 16 x4 = 64.

IT'S A SIGN!!!!!!!

But, seriously Good luck Trevor. I think by just taking the President job it insulates him from blame, it will fall more to the GM he hires.

Unless of course the GM is a absolute bonehead.

I can't believe that the Province is already slagging Trevor freakin Linden. One of the most popular guys in British Columbia, and he gets less than a day on the job before they publish an anonymous editorial calling him a liar. Why? Because he didn't confirm his position to some random reporter the day before the introductory press conference! What a bunch of freaking jokers over there, if I still lived in Van I would go down there and give them a piece of my mind. Those scum would write a hit piece on their own mothers if it got a couple of pageviews, the best thing the Canucks organization could do would be to refuse any and all comment to any Province employee. Hit em where it hurts!

They're bottomfeeders, that's all.

Botchford was doing his best to bait Linden into the style of play conflict right from the get-go.

Willes was asking him if he's prepared for the "overlord" job he has taken and whether he knows what he's getting into - as if Willes has a clue.

On the bright side, they're wasting no time alienating themselves from the new administration - and will remain outsiders and the Vancouver media's biggest pretenders.

There are much more relevent lies to spend their time on than Linden's denial that he'd be taking this job.

This is similar to the fact Hodgson found out he was traded by virtue of media reports that Kassian had been kept off a Sabres flight before the trade call was finalized at the deadline. Circumstances - and inconsequential in the end.

What I found more interesting was the comment that Gillis hired Tortorella and that's why they were sitting there having hired Linden today.

Botchford was doing his best to bait Linden into the style of play conflict right from the get-go.

Willes was asking him if he's prepared for the "overlord" job he has taken and whether he knows what he's getting into - as if Willes has a clue.

On the bright side, they're wasting no time alienating themselves from the new administration - and will remain outsiders and the Vancouver media's biggest pretenders.

I used to deliver the Province in the Interior in the early '60's .. it has sunk to new lows, tho .. the Province belongs on the outside speculating .. I have a lot more trust in those media folks who spend time with the team .. the Two John's and Murph .. I realize they are 'mouth pieces' to a certain extent, but they are good for the Canucks.

16 games to win the cup.

2016 coming up.

Trevor wore #16.

IT'S A SIGN!!!!!!!

But, seriously Good luck Trevor. I think by just taking the President job it insulates him from blame, it will fall more to the GM he hires.

Unless of course the GM is a absolute bonehead.

I like this post.

And, no, we aren't hiring Jay Feaster. I'm sure Linden is smarter than that. (Actually he inferred he is most interested in a man/men already working for a playoff team.)

Trev will sort these press guys out.

When you captain a hockey team filled with million dollar egos etc, dealing with a few windbags hacks is no big deal.

They will either learn to play by his rules or access will dwindle. He will be cunning and cool about it too. They won't even see it coming, much like the militant NHLPA group,(klatt) got blindsided when Trevor saved hockey.

Developing_Header.jpg

TREVOR LINDEN

Ex-Canuck, Ex-NHLPA President, Local Entrepreneur

Vancouver Canucks @VanCanucks

#Canucks name Trevor Linden President of Hockey Operations. ow.ly/vBJvA

Jason Botchford @botchford

linden is the president

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet

Despite his denial, all indications point to Trevor Linden being the #1 option to be named Canucks President.

Farhan Lalji @FarhanLaljiTSN

I'm told Trevor Linden will officially be named the #canucks President tomorrow.

OFFICIAL ANNOUCEMENT

Vancouver, BC –- The Vancouver Canucks announced today that Trevor Linden has been named President, Hockey Operations and Alternate Governor, NHL. Linden returns to lead the team that he played on for 16 seasons, including seven as team captain.

In his role, Linden will be responsible for all hockey operations, including the coaching and scouting staffs, player procurement and development, and minor league affiliations and operations.

Since retiring after 19 seasons in the NHL, Linden has resided in Vancouver where he has led a number of successful business ventures ranging from commercial/residential development projects to fitness club chains. He has also remained involved in the community through the Trevor Linden Foundation.

Quotes:

Francesco Aquilini, Chairman, Canucks Sports & Entertainment:

“It's my honor to officially welcome Trevor Linden home in his new role as President of Hockey Operations for the Canucks. We believe in Trevor's leadership abilities. His 20 years of NHL experience including seven as team captain, his role as NHLPA President, community leader and businessman offers a very special skill set; one that will positively shape the direction of this club in the future.”

Trevor Linden:

“Today is a real honour. I came to Vancouver 26 years ago and I have never left. I love this city. It is my home and the Canucks have always been part of my family.”

“I’m passionate about the Canucks and I want to win – just like our fans. I believe in this team and share the organization’s commitment to excellence on and off of the ice. I am looking forward to getting started – getting to know everyone in the organization, and working together to win the Stanley Cup for this great city and Province.”

Key Facts about Linden’s Career:

• - Originally selected by Vancouver second overall in the 1988 NHL Entry Draft.
  • - Was named to the NHL All-Rookie Team, was a finalist for Calder Trophy and was named The Hockey News Rookie-of-the-Year following the 1988.89 season.
  • - Played for Vancouver 1988.89-1997.98 and 2001.02-2007.08.
  • - Recorded 30 or more goals in six of his first eight seasons in the NHL.
  • - Completed his NHL career ranking 38th in games played (1382), tied for 107th in goals scored (375) and ranks 111th in points (867) scored in NHL history.
  • - Holds Canucks playoff records for most games played (118), goals (34), assists (61) and points (95).
  • - Was the third longest tenured Canucks captain (behind Stan Smyl and Markus Naslund), wearing the ‘C’ from 1990.91-1996.97.
  • - Appeared in two all-star games (1990.91 and 1991.92)
  • - Represented Canada at the 1998 Winter Olympic Games, 1998 World Championships, 1996 World Cup of - Hockey (silver), 1991 World Championships (silver) and 1988 World Junior Championships (gold).
  • - Elected as President of the NHLPA in 1998, serving in that capacity until 2006.
  • - In 1997, received the King Clancy Award which is given annually to the NHL player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and who has made a significant humanitarian contribution in his community.
  • - In 2008, received the NHL Foundation Player Award awarded annually to the NHL player "who applies the core values of hockey – commitment, perseverance and teamwork – to enrich the lives of people in his community"
  • - At his retirement, ranked first in games played (1,140) and assists (415) and second in goals (318) and points (733) in franchise history.
  • - Retired as a Canuck on the 20th anniversary of his draft day, June 11, 2008.
  • - Appointed into Order of Canada in 2010.

FRONT RUNNER:

BOB NICHOLSON

Ex-President and CEO of Hockey Canada

Renaud Lavoie @renlavoietva

Can Bob Nicholson be the next Canucks president ? Could be another great candidate for the Vancouver team. #tvasports

Ken Campbell @THNKenCampbell

Nicholson currently in negotiations with Canucks to become pres. Linden could be next GM. My blog. http://t.co/B1EZPOXPc2

GM CANDIDATES:

BRENDAN SHANAHAN

NHL Department of Player Safety

Tony Gallager: The mob howls and Gillis is lynched

JIM BENNING

Boston Assistant General Manager

PRESS RELEASE:

Francesco Aquilini has scheduled a press release today at 10:30AM

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/user/Canucks

Listen: http://www.teamradio.ca

It's OFFICIAL... This just in... Rookie (completely green) president now in charge of the Vancouver Canucks hockey operations.

-------------> W E A R E R E A L L Y S C R E W E D N O W <----------

There are much more relevent lies to spend their time on than Linden's denial that he'd be taking this job.

This is similar to the fact Hodgson found out he was traded by virtue of media reports that Kassian had been kept off a Sabres flight before the trade call was finalized at the deadline. Circumstances - and inconsequential in the end.

What I found more interesting was the comment that Gillis hired Tortorella and that's why they were sitting there having hired Linden today.

I don't think Botch or Willis were baiting anyone. Just because Linden is Linden doesn't mean he is insulated from inconvenient questions. They were hockey questions. Linden is almost too nice of guy. You could see it in the interview today when someone asked what the term of his deal was. He just tried to sweet talk his way out of it. Then Aquaman stepped in. Linden should have just said stated that his terms are a private matter.

I just hope that Linden lets the GM make the tough hockey decisions so that we don't get "fire Linden" chants a couple years from now. How awkward is that going to be...

FRONT RUNNER:

BOB NICHOLSON

Ex-President and CEO of Hockey Canada

Renaud Lavoie @renlavoietva

Can Bob Nicholson be the next Canucks president ? Could be another great candidate for the Vancouver team. #tvasports

Ken Campbell @THNKenCampbell

Nicholson currently in negotiations with Canucks to become pres. Linden could be next GM. My blog. http://t.co/B1EZPOXPc2

GM CANDIDATES:

BRENDAN SHANAHAN

NHL Department of Player Safety

JIM BENNING

Boston Assistant General Manager

PRESS RELEASE:

Francesco Aquilini has scheduled a press release today at 10:30AM

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/user/Canucks

Listen: http://www.teamradio.ca

It's OFFICIAL... This just in... Rookie (completely green) president now in charge of the Vancouver Canucks hockey operations.

-------------> W E A R E R E A L L Y S C R E W E D N O W <----------

He had an executive position in the NHLPA so he is not a rookie exec per se. He is not the GM. That is huge. If he was the GM, I would agree with you. Hopefully his presence will attract quality GM candidates. His lack of GM experience will give the incoming GM defacto power over the hockey decisions which is good.

I don't think Botch or Willis were baiting anyone. Just because Linden is Linden doesn't mean he is insulated from inconvenient questions. They were hockey questions. Linden is almost too nice of guy. You could see it in the interview today when someone asked what the term of his deal was. He just tried to sweet talk his way out of it. Then Aquaman stepped in. Linden should have just said stated that his terms are a private matter.

I just hope that Linden lets the GM make the tough hockey decisions so that we don't get "fire Linden" chants a couple years from now. How awkward is that going to be...

k.

Willes referring to his job as 'overlord' is a hockey question?

What was Botchford looking for in asking a follow up to the hot key conflict between Gillis and Tortorella? Call it a hockey question if you want - but I've scarcely seen a line of "hockey talk" in any article Botchford has ever written. It's all about the drama.

These guys crap is always loaded.

As someone else mentioned here, if people think Linden is too nice a guy, they are forgetting the way he played the game. Yeah, he's a nice guy - who will run you over (in the right way) when he has the opportunity.

16 games to win the cup.

2016 coming up.

Trevor wore #16.

IT'S A SIGN!!!!!!!

Millionaires won the cup in 1915 and we had the heritage classic 1 year before the 100 year anniversary

15 + 1 = 16

our top 3 players in points have 48 goals, Kesler(24), Daniel(14), Henrik(10)

24 + 14 + 10 = 48

48/3 = 16

if Burrows gets 2 more points we'll have 16 players with at least 16 points.

clearly all a sign ;)

Botch and Willes are complete clowns. I thought Willies was gonna poke someone in the eye with that massive wart on his face.

Listened to the 1040 interview with Linden and he is winning me over quickly. Get Jim Benning or Ron Hextall for GM and we are on our way. As much as this looks like a PR move, and it is, it's also about turning around the public perception of the team for fans, potential free agents and for players currently on the team. If you want the team to be a popular place for players, this is the way to go.

You forgot to mention turning around the perception of the team to the NHL who seem to view us as a bunch of "thinking-outside-the-box" divers, whiners and (sometimes) cheapshot artists a lot of the time. Trevor will almost certainly help change that... provided of course that we stop diving and cheapshotting players. I'm certain that he will encourage a new way of thinking when it comes to things like team pride and "hard" play; we won't be wimps but we won't be goons either. I'm sure potential free agents will be much more likely to consider Vancouver as a serious destination with him at the helm. We'll be like... well a lot like Trevor Linden was as a player. Hopefully.

Still technically as liar though.

Out of respect for the guy in place, he did what he had to. You don't give information before official announcements have been made. Here's the rule of thumb...if a lie doesn't hurt anyone and is actually to save someone some bad feelings then it was done in good faith. Nothing that was "lied" about caused anyone pain or suffering, so it's pretty much a non issue.

It wasn't anything sneaky it's simply protocol to follow a process when someone's being fired and a replacement's coming in. You try to do it tactfully and allow for pride and dignity.

He was actually booked on Global for his fitness center expansion into other areas of fitness...so those questions likely caught him off guard and he really didn't have to answer any of them.

Archived