The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

No, we weren't saying the same thing at all.

You're saying it was the team, I'm saying it was Tortorella.

We won the President's trophy in 2011-2012 under AV, and then lost our best offensive player right before the playoffs and got cold. I wouldn't say we were trending downwards at that point.

Last season they won the division and then were swept by the Sharks, mainly due to some very lopsided officiating, but also depleted scoring depth on the team.

Really the team only had one off season under AV. So saying that we were trending downward is false IMO.

Tortorella wasn't the right fit here plain and simple. He took a team that needed to be built back up, and kicked them in the nuts. I really believe he was the sole reason for this teams spectacular demise this season.

I'm saying it was MG.

The team's "production" was declining both years after the SCF - not one. (also we were 1 goal away from bowing out the first round).

You look at the stats for goals for and against as well as individual players and they were all going down.

We "won" our division so many years because of how crappy the other teams in it were.

Last year the divisions realigned and our weakness was only exemplified.

Yes, I'm saying it was the team and not AV nor Torts.

Edit: for the record I was indifferent to Torts coming here and I agree, he was not the solution - but only after the season was over. Like I said, it just correlates with the scenario that the team's demise was MG's - not the coaches.

Don't look at the standings to see how close they were?

That's silly cause you said they weren't even close, when they clearly were. Yes, they probably weren't going to get by both, but the point is they were within striking distance, despite having a pretty inferior roster.

They were close if you look at the standings yes. But they went 7-1-2 when they were pretty much out of the race. No way that they would pass both Phoenix and Dallas.

They were close if you look at the standings yes. But they went 7-1-2 when they were pretty much out of the race. No way that they would pass both Phoenix and Dallas.

They won crucial games when they needed to. The opposite of what the Canucks did.

A couple win and loss swings both ways and they would have made it. At least they made a push and didn't implode like alot of teams do.

I'm not whining, I'm stating facts.

When you're facing one of the the most lopsided penalty call ratios in NHL history, it tends to make things a little more challenging.

Not to take away anything from the Sharks. They probably would have still beat us, but definitely not in a sweep.

Winners concentrate on winning. Whiners blame the refs.

They won crucial games when they needed to. The opposite of what the Canucks did.

A couple win and loss swings both ways and they would have made it. At least they made a push and didn't like alot of teams do.

They won "crucial games" when they were out of the playoff-race. They had no pressure on them so they won a few games when it didn't matter. Phoenix lost 6 out of their 7 last games. They finished off their season by defeating Dallas in a game that didn't matter since they were already out.

They won "crucial games" when they were out of the playoff-race. They had no pressure on them so they won a few games when it didn't matter. Phoenix lost 6 out of their 7 last games. They finished off their season by defeating Dallas in a game that didn't matter since they were already out.

They weren't out with 10 games left.

Unlike the Canucks, some teams battle right until they're mathematically eliminated. Saying the games didn't matter because the odds were against them is loser talk.

And just to counter this talk that they weren't very good this season. They managed to go 4-1 against the Blackhawks, and scored 7 goals on them twice. I don't know about you, but I'd like to have a coach that knows how to pick apart the best team in the league.

What a strong response. Do you want a cookie?

What kind? Also, home made or store bought?

If you're making them home made can I request you use coconut sugar or honey as I have a cane sugar allergy?

They weren't out with 10 games left.

Unlike the Canucks, some teams battle right until they're mathematically eliminated. Saying the games didn't matter because the odds were against them is loser talk.

And just to counter this talk that they weren't very good this season. They managed to go 4-1 against the Blackhawks, and scored 7 goals on them twice. I don't know about you, but I'd like to have a coach that knows how to pick apart the best team in the league.

Not mathematically no, but seriously, there's no way they would have made the playoffs. With 10 games remaining, they were sitting at the 4th overall pick or something like that, while there were PLENTY of teams above them, including the Canucks. They were pretty much as lucky as they could've been. They were never really close.

Doesn't say too much to me. Torts won against St. Louis 3 out of 3 times. They were better than the Hawks in the regular season.

So its bin retracted all ready?? O man there toying with are emotions

I thought it was to late and hope im wrong but still looks like i was right

Im curious as to how many times you can post this exact same post in the same thread. Its gotta be 5+ ive seen so far

Dummies repeat the same argument again and again.

So how many times have you blamed the refs to support your arguments?

DeNiro, I have loads of respect for you on this site. You know better.

That team against Boston got decimated by injury.

That team against San Jose, they were not playing well at all, an got decimated by penalties.

By the L.A. Series, the Canucks had gone stale. While the Kings got two ex-Philly core superstars and one of the greatest coach out there, to go along a developed Doughty, Kopitar, Brown and Quick, the Canucks were in the midst of the greatest goaltender controversy yet, while the core got disinterested; stale. The Kings were the most complete Cup team in recent history.

The Canucks on the other hand, gave it their all against Boston but could not pull through. They never recovered. AV fired, Torts hired, Gillis couldn't pull a Kesler or Edler trade, and instead traded an Olympian goaltender, further taking te heart out of the team. This team is stale and needs change badly.

Blame the refs all you want, but after the two Marchand penalties based on "reputation", I beg to differ on such matters as the refs unfairly punishing the Canucks as the b*tch of the league.

Let's not forget what reputation Lapierre, Torres, Burrows and Kesler have carried in their time.

Not mathematically no, but seriously, there's no way they would have made the playoffs. With 10 games remaining, they were sitting at the 4th overall pick or something like that, while there were PLENTY of teams above them, including the Canucks. They were pretty much as lucky as they could've been. They were never really close.

Doesn't say too much to me. Torts won against St. Louis 3 out of 3 times. They were better than the Hawks in the regular season.

At that point every team at the bottom except for the bottom 3 were close. The point is they gave it their best effort and didn't just collapse. That shows character in a team.

Going 7-1-2 against teams like Chicago, San Jose, Anaheim, Dallas, and Phoenix isn't luck. That's a determined team right there that pushed hard in a last ditch effort. A team that played hard for their coach despite being outmatched by most teams.

The Hawks are a better team than the Blues. They proved that this spring.

At that point every team at the bottom except for the bottom 3 were close. The point is they gave it their best effort and didn't just collapse. That shows character in a team.

Going 7-1-2 against teams like Chicago, San Jose, Anaheim, Dallas, and Phoenix isn't luck. That's a determined team right there that pushed hard in a last ditch effort. A team that played hard for their coach despite being outmatched by most teams.

The Hawks are a better team than the Blues. They proved that this spring.

Doubt that. It was all about Phoenix,Dallas, with Vancouver being the outsider. I believe that's what most teams do, even if they're out of the playoffs.

Then why didn't they do that for the rest of the season? Why didn't they make the playoffs if they're such a good team?

Playoffs and regular season are 2 different things. You know that. Yet, you brought up Trotz going 4-1 against the Hawks in....wait for it... the regular season.

Archived