The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "I would like to see Torts stay for at least one more year" thread.

SuperReverb2

Apparently Torts is going to sit and address the media after the season is over in regards to his plan for the team. He seemed pretty adamant in his interviews that the world was clueless as to the direction he was taking. So I'd be interested in hearing that before we give him the boot.

If this is true and if the Canucks organization are even considering letting him do this, then his fate is NOT sealed as some say it is. If you're mind (organization) is already made up to fire somebody then you simply fire him and end it. Ala Gillis. If you allow him to speak publicly then you want to hear what he has to say as it may have some bearing on future decisions. As I stated in my opening post, it's a real disservice to dismiss Torts out of hand. Not only to the organization, but to the fans as well.

:)

I did like Tortorella. However when he started benching the young players and refused to bench Daniel Sedin or Alex Edler, he lost me.

He was supposed to be a coach that held everyone accountable, but didn't. And probably won't going forward.

Lastly. I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of Mike Gillis for hiring a coach that was not suited to our current team and for failing to supply Torts with the proper players for his so called style. Obviously Gillis has already paid the ultimate price for that mistake. Don't think Torts should pay the same price for simply doing what he was hired to do. Besides, if the team is going to change (younger, bigger, faster, stronger) over the summer, who better than to coach that team at least for one more year? I say Torts is the man.

The core of this team is not going anywhere anytime soon, there is no point in keeping a coach that is not suited to the existing core.

With what we saw for the first half of the season, I think he deserves another shot.

Until January, the Canucks were consistently out-playing and out-shooting their opponents (putting up 40+ shots per night), even when they were losing games.

But Torts also needs to learn from this past season. I say give him another shot even if under the microscope.

Having said that, I think Linden should hire a GM and allow the GM to make the primary contribution to the decision on Torts.

Reading between the lines, it seems clear that Pat Quinn is not a Torts fan while Linden is a huge Quinn fan so just by going dot to dot it doesn't look good for him.

For those who say Torts can no longer coach in today's NHL etc. I say nonsense. He coached the Rangers to 2nd overall in the NHL just a couple years ago (2pts behind the Canucks) and led them to the Conf. Finals. Last year he coached the NYR to a 1st round upset over the Caps and lost in the 2nd round to the Bruins who ended up going to the finals.

You don't fire a guy after 1 year. That's the type of decision an impatient 5 year old on ADD makes. What is the common denominator the last 4 years of the decline? It's the players! It's so blatantly obvious that we need new personnel, whether that be through a rebuild or via trade is another question entirely

All the top 6 players should be considered for moving, long before looking at Torts.Kesler had probably his best seasin in several years,but on the face of it, he was the best of a really bad bunch.Now that our 2 top Goalie's are gone,this core has really been brought to the forefront,for how poor it really is.

All the top 6 players should be considered for moving, long before looking at Torts.Kesler had probably his best seasin in several years,but on the face of it, he was the best of a really bad bunch.Now that our 2 top Goalie's are gone,this core has really been brought to the forefront

All 3 of them?

All the top 6 players should be considered for moving, long before looking at Torts.Kesler had probably his best seasin in several years,but on the face of it, he was the best of a really bad bunch.Now that our 2 top Goalie's are gone,this core has really been brought to the forefront

Agreed. Torts was merely the vehicle or the messenger for exposing what's been going on with this core (sliding downhill) for the past 3 seasons. You should NEVER shoot the messenger.

I agree. The core is done. Frankly every player should be made available for trade at this point.

Gillis' statement that only the Sedins were safe dealt the worst blow to the teams unified psyche. It was a divisive statement that showed Gillis' shortcomings as a GM. So glad he's gone. Burden lifted.

You don't fire a guy after 1 year. That's the type of decision an impatient 5 year old on ADD makes. What is the common denominator the last 4 years of the decline? It's the players! It's so blatantly obvious that we need new personnel, whether that be through a rebuild or via trade is another question entirely

Torts actually is not a fit for this team when we initially thought he was a fit, we were wrong. I think his system is more suited for a tougher, grittier teams like Boston Bruins and LA Kings. The Canucks still are more on the skills and finesse side of things when you evaluate players. Look at how many injuries we sustained playing Torts style. You really want to repeat this season next year too?

So every analyst saying that torts is gone is an impatient 5 year old?

Well maybe those at TSN but really?

The biggest complaint I come across on these boards is that you're all bored of his style of hockey. Boredom is one of the symptoms of ADD.

With what we saw for the first half of the season, I think he deserves another shot.

Until January, the Canucks were consistently out-playing and out-shooting their opponents (putting up 40+ shots per night), even when they were losing games.

But Torts also needs to learn from this past season. I say give him another shot even if under the microscope.

Having said that, I think Linden should hire a GM and allow the GM to make the primary contribution to the decision on Torts.

Reading between the lines, it seems clear that Pat Quinn is not a Torts fan while Linden is a huge Quinn fan so just by going dot to dot it doesn't look good for him.

For those who say Torts can no longer coach in today's NHL etc. I say nonsense. He coached the Rangers to 2nd overall in the NHL just a couple years ago (2pts behind the Canucks) and led them to the Conf. Finals. Last year he coached the NYR to a 1st round upset over the Caps and lost in the 2nd round to the Bruins who ended up going to the finals.

Even at the beginning of the season he was riding the vets too much..and utilizing them blocking shots on the PK..How many players went down with fractures this year blocking shots..?

A lot of the core players on the Rangers were at wits end with Torts..

Torts style of hockey is ugly..Sports is also a form of entertainment..They need to fill those seats at the Rog

It's not fair to the incoming GM to inherit Tortorella (unless his name is Feaster)...Time to start on a clean slate.

Actually this team, when playing well before the injuries hit, did score quite a few goals per game. We all seem to forget that LACK of team scoring, and LACK of secondary scoring (other than the Sedin's) has been a MAJOR problem for this team long before Torts got here.

So, what you're saying is that there was secondary scoring until all the injuries.

This is why people have a problem with Tort's system. Sather, Linden and Quinn have all commented on Tort's not utilizing players effectively, poor management of the bench (wearing out players) and are critical of his communication style with the players.

"Conclusion: Linden basically said if Tortorella doesn’t admit to and agree he made huge mistakes, he’s gone, while Quinn compared him to Mike Keenan and disagrees with everything he’s ever done… "

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/04/canucks-post-game-sixpack-quinn-linden/

The biggest complaint I come across on these boards is that you're all bored of his style of hockey. Boredom is one of the symptoms of ADD.

More guys with ADD...

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/04/canucks-post-game-sixpack-quinn-linden/

and...

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/glen-sather-questions-ex-rangers-coach-john-tortorella-s-system-1.679038

the knee jerk reactions are ridiculous.

I think Torts deserves another year. He is passionate and wears his heart on his sleeve, amazing how quick people turn. Remember back in the beginning of the season hearing players like bieksa and luongo say things like "torts is real hands on" "torts wont let us quit.." bla bla...

Pretty much the polar opposite of how Vigneault was, it was refreshing to hear.

Now after a crap season everyone is calling for his head when there was clearly SO MANY VARIABLES that attributed to this collapse. Firing torts right away would be a mistake I think.

#ONEMOREYEAR

Cancucks were interesting in decemember who was the coach then.

My point exactly! Santorelli was scoring and fun to watch as well. Kesler had a pretty decent year and thrived on the minutes he got. Injuries killed us this year. Can't say that's Torts fault as MANY teams had injuries this year. Seems to be the way of the new NHL.

Archived