The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

there's no doubt there's risk man, but people are assuming that Ehlers who is the same size as naslund has more risk than Virtanen just because of size...think about this

1. All else being equal of course you take a player with size, but operative words here are all else being equal, things never are equal right, that's the trick in drafting!

2. So there are tradeoffs. But posters here seem to imply that just because a player has more size (even if he has less skill, speed, or hockey iq, that the size translates into some sort of certainty that such player won't bust, or has less probability of busting that said 5'11 player).

3. This argument is so incredibly silly its beyond belief. NO ONE can predict which players will succeed or not. There are many many many players of all sizes who have busted in the first round, size is not the sole determining factor in NHL transition, if it were well there would be No one under 6'1 in the NHL

4. While it is an important factor it is no more important that the others I mentioned, along with many many other factors.

5. When in a position to draft elite skill (which has not been the case for about ten years for us), it is probably logical, strategic, and smart, to look at your FUTURE lineup needs and address those and take the most gifted offensive player available, given the size in the future lineup is certainly not lacking but pure skill is.

6. I am not saying Ehlers will be Giroux part II, nor will Virtanen be Iginla part II, what I am saying is people need to think about everything in balance vs cherry picking constantly because they have a chubby for a certain player. None of us know who will pan out, but in my view, any kid who is 5'11 and can score more goals than Crosby in his rookie year in the Q should not be 'dismissed' as many here are suggesting. If you've played the game you'd realize what kind of feat that is, ask yourself, would Virtanen have done the same? Unlikely.

Crosby put up 54 goals and 135 points his rookie year in the Q and he was a year younger than Ehlers is now.

Nick Ritchie skates well for a big man. Kyle Beach not a great skater. Zack Kassian A player who is needing work on his speed and his skating. Reading their draft reports looks like Ritchie is not as bad as people think and in Zack's case he is faster so you can get faster with proper training and dedication we should see how many of those 5-11 1st rndrs became stars and how many failed.

Kassian is one of the fastest Canucks. However he was fast in junior and was never lumbering around at 230 lbs.

Beech 'skates well' for a big man -against junior players. That is not going to be the case at the NHL level. He would have to be considered noticeably fast in junior to skate as well as Kassian does for a big man at the pro level.

All these other guys could not play at 230 , so why can Ritchie? Its possible -as in anything is possible - but given the actual evidence its not likely. He should shed 15 pounds and play at 215.

Crosby put up 54 goals and 135 points his rookie year in the Q and he was a year younger then than Ehlers is now.

He made a mistake in syntax. He has put up the most goals in QMJHL by a rookie since Crosby. Crosby did it as a 16 year old and Ehlers was 17 which also makes a big difference.

Kassian is one of the fastest Canucks. However he was fast in junior and was never lumbering around at 230 lbs.

Beech 'skates well' for a big man -against junior players. That is not going to be the case at the NHL level. He would have to be considered noticeably fast in junior to skate as well as Kassian does for a big man at the pro level.

All these other guys could not play at 230 , so why can Ritchie? Its possible -as in anything is possible - but given the actual evidence its not likely. He should shed 15 pounds and play at 215.

From what I heard, he's been training hard and has shed some of the baby fat and has cut down to a bit over 220. Skating is not an issue for him though

From what I heard, he's been training hard and has shed some of the baby fat and has cut down to a bit over 220. Skating is not an issue for him though

I bet we see a noticeable difference in footspeed if he goes at 215. That is what the other NHL players his height limit . Lucic plays at 220 but he is 6ft 4 . Maybe he can play at 220 :)

He made a mistake in syntax. He has put up the most goals in QMJHL by a rookie since Crosby. Crosby did it as a 16 year old and Ehlers was 17 which also makes a big difference.

thanks, that dude is just a troll but yes it was an error...he's the highest scoring rookie since crosby, and the point is not he's as good as crosby but CLEARLY he has offensive talent that is elite

Alot of people were yelling about Kyle Beech because he was a big BC boy a few years back...

Alot of people were focused on size, point totals quite close to Vertanen and Ritchie

Where's the Beach?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1707809-chicago-blackhawks-coming-to-terms-with-the-enigma-that-is-kyle-beach

wow sounds like he had a game alot like Virtanen, and is bigger...hmm

and yet Jordan Eberle fell to 22 the same draft year because of concerns over size In fact Eberle's numbers in his draft year aren't even close to Ehlers, even if you adjust for WHL / QMHJL scoring differentials.

You want comparables folks there they are

Take Ehlers

I bet we see a noticeable difference in footspeed if he goes at 215. That is what the other NHL players his height limit . Lucic plays at 220 but he is 6ft 4 . Maybe he can play at 220 :)

Personally, I'd like to see him at 220 rather than 215. Toughness and size is a part of his game, we can't take that away. 220 should be fine. That'll allow him to skate faster while being a physical presence

Personally, I'd like to see him at 220 rather than 215. Toughness and size is a part of his game, we can't take that away. 220 should be fine. That'll allow him to skate faster while being a physical presence

I know what your saying and you have a point. However, if we draft him, lets take the wait and see approach to see how fast he is at 220.

Alot of people were yelling about Kyle Beech because he was a big BC boy a few years back...

Alot of people were focused on size, point totals quite close to Vertanen and Ritchie

Where's the Beach?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1707809-chicago-blackhawks-coming-to-terms-with-the-enigma-that-is-kyle-beach

wow sounds like he had a game alot like Virtanen, and is bigger...hmm

and yet Jordan Eberle fell to 22 the same draft year because of concerns over size In fact Eberle's numbers in his draft year aren't even close to Ehlers, even if you adjust for WHL / QMHJL scoring differentials.

You want comparables folks there they are

Take Ehlers

It says he is slow in Beach's 2008 player profile right at the bottom not a great skater.

Now you see Ritchie he skates well for a big player and has agile feet.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/

It says he is slow in his player profile right at the bottom not a great skater.

I would like to see how fast he is at 220 and even 215.

His stats compare to Beeches. Size and point totals during their draft season. But you are right that Ritchie's wheels are better than Kyle's are and in this NHL, speed is the numero 2 asset a player can possess. Hockey IQ being the most prized IMHO.

I would like to see how fast he is at 220 and even 215.

His stats compare to Beeches. Size and point totals during their draft season. But you are right that Ritchie's wheels are better than Kyle's are and in this NHL, speed is the numero 2 asset a player can possess. Hockey IQ being the most prized IMHO.

I do like Ehlers for what he might posses in the future but with this high pick and for whats there i would rather take a chance on a Canadian we seem to want the cup more than any other Nation just my opinion thanks for taking the time to respond A C.

I do like Ehlers for what he might posses in the future but with this high pick and for whats there i would rather take a chance on a Canadian we seem to want the cup more than any other Nation just my opinion thanks for taking the time to respond A C.

If Ritchie turns out , then we got a fantastic pick. :)

It says he is slow in Beach's 2008 player profile right at the bottom not a great skater.

skates well for a big player = average skater

regardless the point is size does not = guarantees! talent, skill, and speed are typically more valuable, especially when you look at our prospect pool and realize we have alot of 2 way players with size, but lack gamebreakers....which i have now said 27 times

Datsyuk sure as hell wanted a cup

Chara sure as hell wants another cup

Zetterberg sure as hell wanted a cup

Forsberg sure as hell wanted a cup

Lidstrom sure has hell wanted a cup

Fedorov sure as hell wanted a cup

Elias sure as hell wanted a cup

Larionov sure as hell wanted a cup

Jagr sure as hell wanted a cup

Holmstrom sure as hell wanted a cup

Zubov sure as hell wanted a cup

oh and guess what, all of those names were pretty instrumental parts of their team's winning a cup or more

shall i keep going?

lmao....

such a stupid comment man

CDC never seems to learn their lesson. Have you guys all forgot about 2008? CDC was drooling for Beach. I know we all like big guys that can provide toughness and skill but they are way too risky to pick at 6th. They either pan out or become your average grinder that you can find much later in the draft. This is our highest pick since the Sedins and I don't think we should really gamble on a power forward. We lack skill right now.

Datsyuk sure as hell wanted a cup

oh and guess what, all of those names were pretty instrumental parts of their team's winning a cup or more

shall i keep going?

lmao....

such a stupid comment man

Don't have to be so harsh, he clearly stated it was just his opinion.

CDC never seems to learn their lesson. Have you guys all forgot about 2008? CDC was drooling for Beach. I know we all like big guys that can provide toughness and skill but they are way too risky to pick at 6th. They either pan out or become your average grinder that you can find much later in the draft. This is our highest pick since the Sedins and I don't think we should really gamble on a power forward. We lack skill right now.

Did Beach leave his physical body and take over Ritchie? They're two completely different people and they will have 2 completely different careers. I can easily make a list of 5'11 guys that are fast and don't pan out

Archived