The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

List of combine invites:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=718423

NIKOLAJ EHLERS HALIFAX QMJHL LW 5' 11.0" 162lbs

No wonder he can skate fast.

Think that is his weight and height from the beg of the season, does it say anywhere there that those are recent measurements? Because I believe he has grown in height and weight from beg of year.

+1 :)

You dont need to say you were arrogant or anything else. You feel strongly about these two. I respect that. Your feelings are just as valid as anyone elses.

Damn I wish the others would take this same attitude instead of fight all the time.

Edit: I have decided to add in some context so you know where I am coming from.

Ehlers is not the same player as Shinkaruk. They are both under 6ft (Ehlers might be there now) fast wingers who can score and are dynamic. However, the similarities end at that point.

Ehlers is bigger and faster. He is also a natural right handed shot playing the left wing. He is just as adept at right wing, which we are sorely lacking. He plays his off wing due to a personnel issue within the Mooseheads lineup more that a personal preference of Ehlers. Shinkaruk can also play center as well. He has a better shot than Ehlers even though both are dynamic goal scorers.

Nylander is a center /mastermind. The only guy we even remotely have like that is Henrik Sedin. We have no prospect like him at all . We sorely need high end talent like that. I dont like him as much as Ehlers because he may have played NA hockey until age 14, he played his whole junior career on the big ice which enhances his strengths of playmaking and diminishes his lack of physical play. Ehlers proved his worth in the CHL.

So I have specific reasons why I pick these two from an organizational point of view. I pick Ritchie third because we already have Zack Kassian as a true power forward. I dont know too many teams who carry two true power forwards. I dont have an issue with it but the canucks are not a small team. We just picked up Matthias who is only 26 years old . We have lots of size per se. Its not a huge need.

However I like him far more than Virtanen . This is what I wanted to ask you. If we dont pick Ritchie, why would they pick Virtanen.

I see why they would pick Nylander if they dont pick Ehlers, but why would they pass up Ritchie........to take Virtanen? What possible purpose would that serve. Ritchie is the better prospect period and both have similar attributes.

I dont know why you think Ehlers is bigger than hunter. He may be slightly taller like 0.5-1ish inches but I am pretty sure Hunter has 10-15 lbs on Ehlers.

I am just curious how can you say who has the better shot? To me both their shots look quick and deadly.

I have an interesting point to raise about Ehlers, in 06 Claude Giroux played with David Krecji both lead their team in pts:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0032452006.html

Seeing as Claude Giroux played in the same JR league as Ehlers and was the same size as Ehlers it gives a bit of perspective in to what Ehlers could accomplish, and Ehlers put up 1 more pt in six less games when comparing their draft years.

Then there is the well Ehlers played with Drouin argument, this has been pointed out that the majority of their shifts they did not play exclusively together, that is still not enough for most, neither is the Mackinnon played with Drouin counter. But how about comparing how Giroux played with David Krejci his draft year, and Krejci was 19 in his last year of JR. Sure Krejci wasnt as prolific a jr player as Drouin, but he was older and clearly he is an elite talent as he has shown in the CHL, AHL and NHL that must be worth something in comparison.

My point is If giroux can translate his game at his size and had elite line mates in jr, I do not see why Ehlers will not find his own success. His skill and speed are extraordinary.I am not trying to tip the scale in favour of Ehlers for our draft spot, I am just trying to poke holes in those who are doubting his potential.

I personally believe there is a real chance of 1 of these 3: Leon, MDC, Bennett sliding out of the top 5 to us.

It only takes 1 passionate scout or 1 passionate GM to go for the high skill player: Ehlers or Nylander in the top 5 and I even still think Ritchie is a top 5 possibility.

At the end of the day we will be taking 1 of our CDC appointed top 5 if they slip, and if not our GMs will be taking whoever they feel is the best from: Nylander, Ehlers and Ritchie.

I do not believe we will be selecting Virtanen, I see him going 10th to Anaheim.

One of the worst things for a 17/18 year old prospect is being labeled as being like "x" NHL player. These KIDS are just that KIDS!!! It is ridiculous for anyone to compare them to said player. The kids may have similar traits such as size, skating, position...but at that age you cannot stick them with a label of being the next Kessel, Kane, Benn, etc. Way too much pressure for these kids. Let them develop into their own player.

Case in point...whatever happened to Lindros being the next Gretzky???? Never really worked out that way.

All these KIDS will develop in their own way. Some may become stars and some may not. You never know that in 10-15 years we may say some other prospect looks like the next Ehlers. Which once again would not be fair.

As for Ehlers...don't know much about him but it sounds like he is a smart, skilled player. Something that the Canucks sorely need in the organization. That being said, I still think that Nylander has the highest hockey IQ and many say he has the most talent in the entire draft. If I were to choose between Ehlers and Nylander I would take Nylander every time.

Some have pointed out that Nylander has not played on North American ice and his skills would not work here because of the difference in size and that the North American game is too rough for him. Okay so he has not played the North American game. To be honest, not one of the players the Canucks draft at 6 will be playing in the NHL for at least a few years. Now if the Canucks select Nylander hopefully they would be able to convince him to move over to play in the AHL. He has already been playing against men in Sweden. (Playing against men already is a huge advantage for Nylander) However, I would guess he would probably stay one more year in Sweden then make the move to the AHL.

One of the worst things for a 17/18 year old prospect is being labeled as being like "x" NHL player. These KIDS are just that KIDS!!! It is ridiculous for anyone to compare them to said player. The kids may have similar traits such as size, skating, position...but at that age you cannot stick them with a label of being the next Kessel, Kane, Benn, etc. Way too much pressure for these kids. Let them develop into their own player.

Case in point...whatever happened to Lindros being the next Gretzky???? Never really worked out that way.

All these KIDS will develop in their own way. Some may become stars and some may not. You never know that in 10-15 years we may say some other prospect looks like the next Ehlers. Which once again would not be fair.

As for Ehlers...don't know much about him but it sounds like he is a smart, skilled player. Something that the Canucks sorely need in the organization. That being said, I still think that Nylander has the highest hockey IQ and many say he has the most talent in the entire draft. If I were to choose between Ehlers and Nylander I would take Nylander every time.

Some have pointed out that Nylander has not played on North American ice and his skills would not work here because of the difference in size and that the North American game is too rough for him. Okay so he has not played the North American game. To be honest, not one of the players the Canucks draft at 6 will be playing in the NHL for at least a few years. Now if the Canucks select Nylander hopefully they would be able to convince him to move over to play in the AHL. He has already been playing against men in Sweden. (Playing against men already is a huge advantage for Nylander) However, I would guess he would probably stay one more year in Sweden then make the move to the AHL.

i'll let you go re- read my last post. Not once did I say these players were infact then next "x" in fact all i did was compare their skillsets as they are similar to prove a point that Kessel and Backstrom are completely different players.

Hockey IQ means what if the guy is undersized? Here's a comic book equivalent: Brainiac vs. The Hulk in competitive sports. If might take the Hulk awhile to figure out what to do, but as soon as he's coached "Hey, put that black rubber thing in the net and while you're at it, hit that skinny guy with the huge head." Hulk will absolutely dominate.

Meanwhile, Lindros and Gretzky are from different eras. Gretzky required a lot of protection from other sources and that era is gone. Now star players need to battle on their own quite a lot more.

Are the Canucks fans looking at how the Sedins constantly get pushed around the same ones who are inexplicably drooling over Ehlers and Nylander? Because that doesn't compute. Esp. when they're not near as skilled or as big as the Sedins.

Schroeder... Coho... One-dimensional weak bs. It's as if we're totally not used to what winning-capable skill looks like anymore. The plan for skill should involve next years' draft, which is full of very, very talented players who aren't undersized. And i'm fairly certain that Linden wants to go that route if he selected some 'drafting guru' in Benning.

Think that is his weight and height from the beg of the season, does it say anywhere there that those are recent measurements? Because I believe he has grown in height and weight from beg of year.

I dont know why you think Ehlers is bigger than hunter. He may be slightly taller like 0.5-1ish inches but I am pretty sure Hunter has 10-15 lbs on Ehlers.

I am just curious how can you say who has the better shot? To me both their shots look quick and deadly.

I have an interesting point to raise about Ehlers, in 06 Claude Giroux played with David Krecji both lead their team in pts:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0032452006.html

Seeing as Claude Giroux played in the same JR league as Ehlers and was the same size as Ehlers it gives a bit of perspective in to what Ehlers could accomplish, and Ehlers put up 1 more pt in six less games when comparing their draft years.

Then there is the well Ehlers played with Drouin argument, this has been pointed out that the majority of their shifts they did not play exclusively together, that is still not enough for most, neither is the Mackinnon played with Drouin counter. But how about comparing how Giroux played with David Krejci his draft year, and Krejci was 19 in his last year of JR. Sure Krejci wasnt as prolific a jr player as Drouin, but he was older and clearly he is an elite talent as he has shown in the CHL, AHL and NHL that must be worth something in comparison.

My point is If giroux can translate his game at his size and had elite line mates in jr, I do not see why Ehlers will not find his own success. His skill and speed are extraordinary.I am not trying to tip the scale in favour of Ehlers for our draft spot, I am just trying to poke holes in those who are doubting his potential.

I personally believe there is a real chance of 1 of these 3: Leon, MDC, Bennett sliding out of the top 5 to us.

It only takes 1 passionate scout or 1 passionate GM to go for the high skill player: Ehlers or Nylander in the top 5 and I even still think Ritchie is a top 5 possibility.

At the end of the day we will be taking 1 of our CDC appointed top 5 if they slip, and if not our GMs will be taking whoever they feel is the best from: Nylander, Ehlers and Ritchie.

I do not believe we will be selecting Virtanen, I see him going 10th to Anaheim.

The information I have is Ehlers is anywhere from 5ft 11.5 -5ft 11.75 and 170 to 176. That is noticeably taller than Shinkaruk but not bigger. Hunter is 180. If 6ft and 5ft 10 is the same size, so is 6ft and 6ft 2 Dal Colle , Draisaitl, Reinhart are. .

Ehlers is the fastest player with the puck in the last two years. Including Drouin and Mac Kinnon. I think Shink is quick but not on the same level. Ehlers scored 49 goals but Hunter sniped the same amount at age 16 . He really is a finisher.

Giroux is an amazing talent but Ehlers is bigger faster and just as talented. I think at the time he was drafted there was still a size stigma and QMJHL point stigma as being soft. Not anymore.

Ehlers and Nylander don't seem like an option after that interview.

Was really hoping for Nylander.

Oh well they know better than I do.

Pretty much.

You don't read what's happening in the NHL as a whole, let lone the division we're in, as select an undersized player at 6th.

Hockey IQ means what if the guy is undersized? Here's a comic book equivalent: Brainiac vs. The Hulk in competitive sports. If might take the Hulk awhile to figure out what to do, but as soon as he's coached "Hey, put that black rubber thing in the net and while you're at it, hit that skinny guy with the huge head." Hulk will absolutely dominate.

Meanwhile, Lindros and Gretzky are from different eras. Gretzky required a lot of protection from other sources and that era is gone. Now star players need to battle on their own quite a lot more.

Are the Canucks fans looking at how the Sedins constantly get pushed around the same ones who are inexplicably drooling over Ehlers and Nylander? Because that doesn't compute. Esp. when they're not near as skilled or as big as the Sedins.

Schroeder... Coho... One-dimensional weak bs. It's as if we're totally not used to what winning-capable skill looks like anymore. The plan for skill should involve next years' draft, which is full of very, very talented players who aren't undersized. And i'm fairly certain that Linden wants to go that route if he selected some 'drafting guru' in Benning.

That your superior hockey IQ allows you to overcome your size?

Seems obvious.

Ehlers is right handed?

Why does he shoot left in all the highlights I've seen of him then? :wacko:

because I got it backwards lol.

He is just as comfortable playing his off wing,the right. But thanks for picking that out. Just when I was beginning to think I was perfect too.

Before you compare him to Pavel Bure, realize that Bure was probably the strongest player on our team. Another guy that is super strong for his size is Martin St. Loius....legs like tree stumps. Can the same be said of Ehlers? I don't see this comparison to Bure at all. I see a very talented smallish player who is going to take a beating.

That your superior hockey IQ allows you to overcome your size?

Seems obvious.

what size? Some of the guys on here seem to think being 6ft1 208 is some ridiculous advantage for a forward than 6ft 176 pounds. Especially when they arent even full grown.

Who possibly believes something like that can make up for elite speed, skill and general hockey sense.

Before you compare him to Pavel Bure, realize that Bure was probably the strongest player on our team. Another guy that is super strong for his size is Martin St. Loius....legs like tree stumps. Can the same be said of Ehlers? I don't see this comparison to Bure at all. I see a very talented smallish player who is going to take a beating.

. The way he plays is like Bure. His skill level is not .

You might want to give Ehlers a chance to grow up before you compare him to 30 year old fully grown players.

This is the same stupid asked and answered objections that we went through 40 pages.

+1 :)

You dont need to say you were arrogant or anything else. You feel strongly about these two. I respect that. Your feelings are just as valid as anyone elses.

Damn I wish the others would take this same attitude instead of fight all the time.

Edit: I have decided to add in some context so you know where I am coming from.

Ehlers is not the same player as Shinkaruk. They are both under 6ft (Ehlers might be there now) fast wingers who can score and are dynamic. However, the similarities end at that point.

Ehlers is bigger and faster. He is also a natural right handed shot playing the left wing. He is just as adept at right wing, which we are sorely lacking. He plays his off wing due to a personnel issue within the Mooseheads lineup more that a personal preference of Ehlers. Shinkaruk can also play center as well. He has a better shot than Ehlers even though both are dynamic goal scorers.

Nylander is a center /mastermind. The only guy we even remotely have like that is Henrik Sedin. We have no prospect like him at all . We sorely need high end talent like that. I dont like him as much as Ehlers because he may have played NA hockey until age 14, he played his whole junior career on the big ice which enhances his strengths of playmaking and diminishes his lack of physical play. Ehlers proved his worth in the CHL.

So I have specific reasons why I pick these two from an organizational point of view. I pick Ritchie third because we already have Zack Kassian as a true power forward. I dont know too many teams who carry two true power forwards. I dont have an issue with it but the canucks are not a small team. We just picked up Matthias who is only 26 years old . We have lots of size per se. Its not a huge need.

However I like him far more than Virtanen . This is what I wanted to ask you. If we dont pick Ritchie, why would they pick Virtanen.

I see why they would pick Nylander if they dont pick Ehlers, but why would they pass up Ritchie........to take Virtanen? What possible purpose would that serve. Ritchie is the better prospect period and both have similar attributes.

I personally like the idea of taking a player like Virtanen or Ritchie over a smaller player. Nylander might be a very skilled passer but if you dont have players who can put the puck in the net, you won't win many games. Virtanen has speed, is a goal scorer and can hit like a Mack truck......but he does have a serious shoulder injury and is out 4 - 6 months. I haven't seen Ritchie play so I cant say whether I would take him over Perlini....who can also skate, score and goes to the net. He is not as rugged a player as Virtanen though.

Realistically, I do think Ehlers will have the ability to perform at the level of a Giroux. If you haven't read the article on Canucksarmy.com about how an intern did a better job of drafting players than the Canucks scouts simply based points in that player's draft year, its very telling, and not so much about the failures of out staff, but rather the overthinking that goes into these decisions and often avoiding what appears to be one of the best indicators (clearly not the only one but a very important one) of points. This person ignored size, league, adjustments, corsi, fenwick etc...simply points. Go read the article, to me what it says, is given everything in drafting is a crapshoot, well if points have a strng relationship with potential success than perhaps points should be our focus! That being said, Benning suggested size is wanted / heavy game today (funny how they described a team that Torts did, a style that Torts did, then go on to say they want to keep the same team, it does worry me if they dont make changes other than the coach), so my guess is we take Ritchie, Dal Colle if available, Draisaitl if available, or Vertanen before Ehlers - unfortuntately

. The way he plays is like Bure. His skill level is not .

You might want to give Ehlers a chance to grow up before you compare him to 30 year old fully grown players.

This is the same stupid asked and answered objections that we went through 40 pages.

Before you spout off too loudly, Bure was strong from the first game he played. The kid was in incredible shape. I wasn't comparing him to a 30 year old....I was comparing him to Bure as a rookie. I don't see that Ehlers is a Bure, if you do...well then we agree to disagree. I am still hoping that we take a big skilled gritty player, which is what we have a shortage of.

I have tried my hardest to deduce who our best choice is at #6. Obviously Dal Colle or Daisraitl are if they fall.

If the top 5 go as planned , then to me I concluded its Ehlers, Nylander and Ritchie. I would be surprised to see Benning chose any other player at #6 as in my opinon those are the 3 best players avail at that spot.

I can predict that without a trade or the top 5 falling, a 80% chance he picks one of those three. That may not be a very accurate or bold prediction but its the best one I can make using an intelligent guess.

After his introductory presser he said he's interested in slightly bigger players to compete against the California teams, paraphrasing but something along those lines. If that's the case trade down for Virtanen or trade up for a top 5 if none drop. Gut feeling says no to Ritchie.

Honestly we should just trade our pick for help up front. Benning and Linden aren't sounding like they are on board for a rebuild.

Realistically, I do think Ehlers will have the ability to perform at the level of a Giroux. If you haven't read the article on Canucksarmy.com about how an intern did a better job of drafting players than the Canucks scouts simply based points in that player's draft year, its very telling, and not so much about the failures of out staff, but rather the overthinking that goes into these decisions and often avoiding what appears to be one of the best indicators (clearly not the only one but a very important one) of points. This person ignored size, league, adjustments, corsi, fenwick etc...simply points. Go read the article, to me what it says, is given everything in drafting is a crapshoot, well if points have a strng relationship with potential success than perhaps points should be our focus! That being said, Benning suggested size is wanted / heavy game today (funny how they described a team that Torts did, a style that Torts did, then go on to say they want to keep the same team, it does worry me if they dont make changes other than the coach), so my guess is we take Ritchie, Dal Colle if available, Draisaitl if available, or Vertanen before Ehlers - unfortuntately

No he didnt. There are 7 rounds . You dont go looking for size and toughness at #6 when you can hunt for it everywhere else. Bennings track record for the 'big bad bruins' was to drafted the highest skill he could in the top 10.

I appreciate your post but when you start assigning what you want to believe onto the guys words you become partisan political hacks. If you just want to come post as a partisan hack, there isnt much point in discussing anything.

Before you spout off too loudly, Bure was strong from the first game he played. The kid was in incredible shape. I wasn't comparing him to a 30 year old....I was comparing him to Bure as a rookie. I don't see that Ehlers is a Bure, if you do...well then we agree to disagree. I am still hoping that we take a big skilled gritty player, which is what we have a shortage of.

. Nobody said he is Pavel Bure. The scouts say he skates like him. I went and saw it for myself. He does look it. Doesnt mean he will score 60 goals or make the hall of fame. Bure was a rookie at 20 years old. 20 and a half actually.

He was 5ft 10 and 180 pounds. I know. I was at the Pacific Colosseum when he played his first home game.

Lets give the 18 year old kid a chance to gain 4 pounds. He is almost 6ft even and 176 pounds right now at 18.

Archived