The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[BOXING]Related discussion here!

Angry Goose

I'm not sure how I feel about women boxing but there was that other fight last night on the Joshua/Ruiz card between Katie Taylor and Delfine Persoon.

Wow!  Those two really went after each other.

Boxing judges know a lot more about these things than I do but I thought Persoon won the fight.

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I'm not sure how I feel about women boxing but there was that other fight last night on the Joshua/Ruiz card between Katie Taylor and Delfine Persoon.

Wow!  Those two really went after each other.

Boxing judges know a lot more about these things than I do but I thought Persoon won the fight.

You should watch Shields/Hammer

Triple G dominant as expected. I really hope trilogy fight with Canelo happens in September as speculated. 

He may not be the better boxer in regards to technique, but I still stay in won both fights, ESPECIALLY the first one. 

33 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Fury just seriously tuned up Schwarz...  Tommy boy didn't belong in the same ring as Fury.

Tyson Fury is a very large man. :mellow:

Like you say, the fight was more like a practice than a real fight.  At least for Fury.  Shwarz might have a different opinion.

One thing - I found Fury's shtick a bit overdone, a bit hokey.  Not that I would ever tell him that, of course.  

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

In no world was that a split decision lmao wow!!

Welcome to boxing. Part of the reason it has gone down so much in popularity. The politics, corruption and spotty judging ruined the sport. 

Pacquiao ate Thurman's hardest punches right on the button and didn't even faze him. MP has an iron chin, people keep bringing up the JMM knockout and thinking they could do the same and its a mistake as  Keith learned early tonight that you don't brawl with Manny Pacquiao lol.

Manny hurt Thurman 3-4 times in the fight and Keith didn't even stagger Pac once. Amazing performance by the Legend, he just added another amazing victory to his already HOF resume.

• Upvote 1

Really heartbreaking to hear Buddy McGirt trying to talk to his boxer to throw in the towel.  

https://www.badlefthook.com/2019/7/23/20707279/buddy-mcgirt-talks-death-of-maxim-dadashev

Buddy McGirt reacts to death of Maxim Dadashev

Dadashev died early this morning as a result of the brain injuries he sustained against Subriel Matias last Friday.

By Wil Esco@wil_esco Jul 23, 2019, 1:23pm EDT

Teofimo Lopez v Masayoshi NakataniPhoto by Scott Taetsch/Getty Images

Trainer Buddy McGirt seemed to do everything right in his handling of Maxim Dadashev’s TKO loss to Subriel Matias this past weekend — so much so that McGirt was unanimously praised for pulling the plug on the fight after the 11th, fearing that his fighter was taking too much punishment.

At the time Dadashev, who had been battling hard for 11 full rounds, wasn’t receptive to having the fight stopped with just one round left. Dadashev was a warrior, after all. But it’s the corner’s job to know when enough is enough, and McGirt, who was a world champion fighter himself, knew that he had to stop it before something dangerous happened. So McGirt threw in the towel anyway, against his fighter’s wishes.

In the post-fight interview McGirt would speak the plain honest truth, saying that he’d rather have his fighter be mad at him for a few days because he stopped a fight rather than let him suffer lifetime consequences. It was an admirable and compassionate stance to take. But the real tragedy here was even that wasn’t enough to save Dadashev.

Immediately following the fight Dadashev showed some seriously concerning signs, needing help just to exit the ring on his way to the dressing room before he collapsed and started violently vomiting. At the time ESPN reported that Dadashev had suffered a severe concussion as well as severe dehydration, but that was only a preliminary assessment before they could get Dadashev to a local hospital for evaluation.

Dadashev would soon after be diagnosed with a subdural hematoma, and doctors had to rush him into emergency surgery to relieve pressure on his brain from the internal bleeding. Following the surgery Dadashev was placed into a medically induced coma as they waited for the swelling on his brain to go down.

Unfortunately Dadashev didn’t recover, though, and it was reported today that he had succumb to those injuries and passed away this morning.

As devastating as that news was, there’s also this uneasy feeling of what could’ve been done differently to prevent this disaster. Sure, hindsight is 20/20, but in all honesty there was no obvious point to stop that fight before it ultimately was. So people might expect that this outcome would be particularly distressing to Dadashev’s trainer Buddy McGirt, who made a hard decision in order to try to save his fighter. And those people would be exactly right.

“It just makes you realize what type of sport we’re in, man,” McGirt told ESPN. “He did everything right in training, no problems, no nothing. My mind is like really running crazy, right now. Like what could I have done differently? But at the end of the day, everything was fine (in training).

“He seemed OK, he was ready, but it’s the sport that we’re in. It just takes one punch, man.”

“I saw him fading and when he came back to the corner (after the 11th round), my mind was already made up,” McGirt said. “I was just asking him out of respect, but my mind was made up. I wasn’t going to let him go out there.”

In boxing we often come across one too many cases of negligence, where fights that obviously should be stopped go on for far too long, and sometimes those fights end in tragedy. This fight, while rough, was not demonstrably more brutal than plenty of other fights I’ve seen in recent years, which only makes the untimely passing of Dadashev all the more difficult wrap my mind around.

This is really a kick in the nuts for the sport, but more importantly, this is a devastating loss for Dadashev’s family and friends. We at BLH extend our deepest sympathies and condolences to Dadashev’s family.

“I saw him fading and when he came back to the corner (after the 11th round), my mind was already made up,” McGirt said. “I was just asking him out of respect, but my mind was made up. I wasn’t going to let him go out there.”

Sad, still wont effect me watching boxing and being a fan of the sport but it does make me sick that the family now has to turn to crowd funding instead of having the promoters/federation cover the costs.

RIP

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Really heartbreaking to hear Buddy McGirt trying to talk to his boxer to throw in the towel.  

https://www.badlefthook.com/2019/7/23/20707279/buddy-mcgirt-talks-death-of-maxim-dadashev

Sad, still wont effect me watching boxing and being a fan of the sport but it does make me sick that the family now has to turn to crowd funding instead of having the promoters/federation cover the costs.

RIP

So sad. And yes absolutely despicable the federation and promoters aren't helping financially (IF true).  

On 7/20/2019 at 11:54 PM, Trebreh said:

Pacquiao ate Thurman's hardest punches right on the button and didn't even faze him. MP has an iron chin, people keep bringing up the JMM knockout and thinking they could do the same and its a mistake as  Keith learned early tonight that you don't brawl with Manny Pacquiao lol.

Manny hurt Thurman 3-4 times in the fight and Keith didn't even stagger Pac once. Amazing performance by the Legend, he just added another amazing victory to his already HOF resume.

And yet he got his clock cleaned by Floyd!  

22 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

And yet he got his clock cleaned by Floyd!  

Well lets not go over board. Definitely not "clock cleaned". It was a tactical defensive fight and Manny had a hard time landing anything (like anyone vs Floyd). Still up for debate whether his shoulder injury prior to fight was legitimate. If that was in fact the case, hard to judge the fight. Such is boxing, the fight finally went down a good 5-7 years after it should have. 

Edited by RRypien37

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

Well lets not go over board. Definitely not "clock cleaned". It was a tactical defensive fight and Manny had a hard time landing anything (like anyone vs Floyd). Still up for debate whether his shoulder injury prior to fight was legitimate. If that was in fact the case, hard to judge the fight. Such is boxing, the fight finally went down a good 5-7 years after it should have. 

I know I know.  Just trying to stir things up a bit since nobody seemed to watch the Davis fight.

7 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I know I know.  Just trying to stir things up a bit since nobody seemed to watch the Davis fight.

22-0 and still fighting no names and being coddled by Mayweather. Hardly surprised. Boxing is so weird. I used to be only a boxing fan. Slowly transitioned to a mix of Boxing/MMA. Now mostly MMA. Just too many padded records and protection of stars in boxing. Literally ruined boxing. Slowly seeing some life in the heavy weight division. Actually looking forward to some boxing (Fury/Wilder and Ruiz/Joshua rematches). 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

22-0 and still fighting no names and being coddled by Mayweather. Hardly surprised. Boxing is so weird. I used to be only a boxing fan. Slowly transitioned to a mix of Boxing/MMA. Now mostly MMA. Just too many padded records and protection of stars in boxing. Literally ruined boxing. Slowly seeing some life in the heavy weight division. Actually looking forward to some boxing (Fury/Wilder and Ruiz/Joshua rematches). 

That's fair.   Credit to Mikey Garcia at least.  I'd say even Canelo for facing down GGG and Jacobs recently.  

The light welterweight/welterweight division has potential.  Spence/Crawford/Porter/Pacquiao/Khan/Thurman/Garcia

Maybe we will see Davis face off vs Russell Jr. hopefully in a couple of fights.

Edited by SILLY GOOSE
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 4:42 PM, RRypien37 said:

I don't know why it was even 'up for debate' when he clearly had the surgery.

Pac requested an injection to numb the pain before the fight but was rejected, but Mayweather was caught with an illegal IV after the fight ..

So Mayweather basically fought a 1 armed Pacquiao whom he ran from for 6 years (prime) and still didn't even win, it was a draw at best. 

MP's combinations are so fast judges fail to see the points he landed on Floyd and punches he blocked. The compubox counted so many shots for Mayweather that didn't even land. 

and lastly, Holyfield thought Pac won :emot-parrot: