The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Quick is being exposed - the keys to beating him (broken down)

If you stay back in net. Price would come out far to challenge on shots like that. I'd say Schneider is more like Lundqvist.

Schneider always looks so calm and collected. All technique.

He's likely going to be elite soon.

I see him signing in Brooklyn after this contract, he seems like a family man and that's as good a place as any imo.

Not to mention the weak teams they played. Phoenix and New Jersey...really? Even St.Louis was an overachieving team that was not a big threat.

that whole year was rigged

in the eastern conference final it had New York and New Jersey in it (who are both part of the New York Media Market the largest media market in North America) in the west it was LA the second largest media market in North America. And in the finals the two biggest media markets meet. All of this cant be a coincidence (everyone knows the reffing we had that year).

Don't believe me?

Then check this link of the largest sports media markets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_and_Canadian_cities_by_number_of_major_professional_sports_franchises

All goalies rely on on their teams defensive play, it's not uniquely applicable to quick. If LA totally change their style Quick will also probably make adjustments to his style.

He should probably do that before they're eliminated then ;)

I personally love articles like these that get real technical about hockey though Quick's weaknesses were pretty obvious to your average hockey fan. I think it was game 2 with the Sharks that the commentators were pretty much saying the same thing but without the numbers and stats. The same could be said for Halak when he played for the Blues: Inflated stats because of the team in front of them.

I'd say that the only goalies who've really stuck out are Lehtonen, Miller, and maybe Luongo. These guys have had to play for defensively poor teams, past or present.

To the people saying that he's average or overrated, I disagree. His Stanley Cup ring, Conn Smythe Trophy, and soon-to-be-awarded Jennings trophy says otherwise. Even if it is a good defensive system the goalie still has to play fantastic for it to have Stanley Cup winning efficiency.

This has been a rough playoffs for him, but he did have a decent game 3 and they won game 4. Fleury is also a cup-winning goalie and he has been worse off in recent times especially that series against the Fliers not too long ago.

that whole year was rigged

in the eastern conference final it had New York and New Jersey in it (who are both part of the New York Media Market the largest media market in North America) in the west it was LA the second largest media market in North America. And in the finals the two biggest media markets meet. All of this cant be a coincidence (everyone knows the reffing we had that year).

Don't believe me?

Then check this link of the largest sports media markets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_and_Canadian_cities_by_number_of_major_professional_sports_franchises

I think you and many other fans have just gone a little mental knowing that the Canucks' chance to win is gone for now. Don't worry, it'll come again soon.

*somewhat of a long read but excellent detail that shows how and why Quick is playing so poorly against the Sharks / what they are doing to exploit him*

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/quicks-a-gambler-but-this-is-a-kings-issue/

Neat little read, hope some of you liked it.

Short summary: Quick is a successor of the defensive structure the Kings play. The moment they fall off their game a little bit, it's survival mode for Quick. His aggressive goaltending nature is what makes and breaks him but in all, he is a poor cross-crease goaltender. The moment you get him to move laterally, you increase your chances of scoring as he has lots of ice to cover to come across to make the save. Also leads to more fatigue adding up throughout the game for Quick and the Sharks have done a textbook job this series of doing so.

so the gyst of this article and cutting edge scientific analysis is that goalies who play aggressive and far outside the crease have a harder time covering the net?

To the people saying that he's average or overrated, I disagree. His Stanley Cup ring, Conn Smythe Trophy, and soon-to-be-awarded Jennings trophy says otherwise. Even if it is a good defensive system the goalie still has to play fantastic for it to have Stanley Cup winning efficiency.

This has been a rough playoffs for him, but he did have a decent game 3 and they won game 4. Fleury is also a cup-winning goalie and he has been worse off in recent times especially that series against the Fliers not too long ago.

I think you and many other fans have just gone a little mental knowing that the Canucks' chance to win is gone for now. Don't worry, it'll come again soon.

Please follow board rules

BASIC BOARD RULES

If you read anything here, read these.

1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow visitors(and this includes via Private Message).

You will find every opinion imaginable here, so you may want to find another board if you are not able to keep your cool when someone's viewpoint offends you. Behave as you would in a public location. The following actions are strictly prohibited:

• Calling out other users.
  • Personal attacks and flaming. Attacking an idea is acceptable, attacking a user is not.
  • Trolling and posting with intent to provoke other posters
  • Retaliating to personal attacks(contact a moderator instead)
  • Harrassment, stalking, and shadowing other users with intent to provoke
  • Using abbreviations such as 'STFU' and 'GTFO'

IMO Quick is playing way too aggressive, almost recklessly. You have to come out to cut the angle for sure, but not that far. On the other hand a guy like Lundqvist plays too deep all the time and gets beat by shots that would be stopped if he just comes out.

You have to be a hybrid and know when to challenge and how far to come out and know when to play deeper.

Exactly.

For me, its

Rask

Lundqvist

Price

Bishop

Varlamov

In the top 5

Quick could maybe sneak onto a top 10 list, but I'd rather have Schneider, Bernier, Miller.

and no Luongo in a top 10?? lol I think Lundqvist is a tad bit overrated, finished with numbers just slightly above Lu who played on crap teams. But Lundavist is the superstar and Lu is just washed up...

I still think Price hasn't proven much yet, this playoffs in a sweeping TB, his numbers aren't great

and no Luongo in a top 10?? lol I think Lundqvist is a tad bit overrated, finished with numbers just slightly above Lu who played on crap teams. But Lundavist is the superstar and Lu is just washed up...

I still think Price hasn't proven much yet, this playoffs in a sweeping TB, his numbers aren't great

Henrick is 4-1 in game 7's with a 1.00 GAA and .963 save percentage... enough said.

Exactly.

For me, its

Rask

Lundqvist

Price

Bishop

Varlamov

In the top 5

Quick could maybe sneak onto a top 10 list, but I'd rather have Schneider, Bernier, Miller.

That's premature at this point. Hell of a year but he needed to be better tonight. The D was piss poor but Varly has bailed them out all year and we needed that tonight. It was a game 7. Need your MVP to be that again and he couldn't have been further from it. If Varly plays even half as well as the "overrated" Quick, we would have a date with the Hawks.

At least Luongo played for the cup. Henrik hasn't. I don't really care how many first or second round game sevens he won.

So did Ray Emery so by your tilted logic that makes him better too? Face it, your hero will not be remembered for his playoff performances other than his 2008 series vs St. Louis.

Archived