The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese-only sign reignites language debate in Richmond, B.C.

DonLever

OR get into my car!!!

C'mon dude, we learned this stuff in grade 3.

Or maybe the cop who came to your class was speaking Cantonese

I know fully what you said, the point is candy will not get me to where you want... lol

Advertisers can do what they want but they should be a bit more sensitive to the needs of the English speaking market in this country.

No they don't. It's marketing. It's not a sensitivity issue. Somepeople are taking this to hard.

Its not like there's a tsunami coming, and they only broadcast it in cantonese. lol

And the english-speakers are like, "Why they all running?"

Then we might have a problem...and i would agree with you. :)

The only problem with that is, this is not "your country" either unless you are a native.

All I see in this thread are people who are honestly just butt hurt as they are becoming a minority in the lower mainland in their "own" country.

All Caucasians migrated to this country albeit it was much earlier than we did.(Indians, chinese, Hindus etc)

It is now. Europeans came, they saw, they conquered. It sucks if you were a native but such is life.

I only read through the first page so apologies if this has been said...

Despite being as liberal-minded as the next guy I don't agree with having large, visible advertising / signage in other languages. I love the diversity of our country - but I love being able to interact with it.

Before you cry "hypocrisy" hold on a second -

I think language (English) is as powerful a tool we have for bringing us together as a population. When language goes out the window we separate, segregate and drift apart within our own country. While this happens a lot for various reasons - common languages are essential for us as "Canadians" regardless of our heritage. As practical as I think it is for certain groups to stick together - I think it doesn't help the greater community when fluently reading/writing/speaking a common language is sacrificed for the familiarity and safety.

Ok so I couldn't help myself from not posting lol..

Well think of it in this way. If someone from another country makes the effort to learn English or French shouldn't the Canadian population be more inclined to learn new languages? I honestly don't understand the Xenophobia in some peoples statements. Its the use of double standards that bugs me.

If a company is willing to pay money and not break the law in the process I have no issue with it.. Theres no law that says all advertising most be in English or French. Only exception that I agree that must happen is ingredients or warnings should be in English or French for safety reasons. This is no different than advertisers using English in India or China. You dont see the people there throwing their arms in the air demanding people move back.. I remember being forced to learned a local coast Salish language all through elementary school and I had no issues with it. I personally found it interesting while others were complaining about it. Although I only know one word sadly I can still remember the stories from native elders... It was a life enriching experience to hear prospectives from other cultures.

Like I say in all similar threads, get used it now.. The old system is slowly disappearing now. Heck the US will have a similar problem like this once the Latino population becomes a majority.

I think if we all take a large step back and be objective.

ugghh....go to Quebec and start that debate.

I hated dealing with that every other week in Ottawa.

So you want other people to be objective, but you yourself don't want to be objective because it would involve dealing with something that bothers you at a personal level.

Same thing here, all you can do is complain but this will continue to happen.

We came, we saw, and now we are conquering. Such is the life, you complaining on a Canucks Forum won't help bud.

And thanks for learning the language. Now learn to use it in advertising. It's not that complicated, folks.

And thanks for learning the language. Now learn to use it in advertising. It's not that complicated, folks.

But you are having difficulty in understanding the concept of marketing...Why would they or anyone need to learn to use it in advertising when they're not advertising it to you?

It's not that complicated, buddy. Or maybe it is to you?

And yet people are laughing at Quebec because of its language laws. Just imagine if many companies would follow these steps? Yes freedom to speak whatever language you want is important but just as much as having a cohesive society. English should be mandatory on adds.

It should be in English and French. Those are our two official languages.

English, then French.

Only English and French.

The other thing that is wrong with this ad, is that Crest mouthwash actually stains teeth yellow. I would always go to the dentist and my dentist would always wonder why my teeth are so yellow, so I would use more mouthwash and it would get more yellow. Eventually I told them I used Crest and they told me to stop immediately. Teeth have been white ever since.

And yet people are laughing at Quebec because of its language laws. Just imagine if many companies would follow these steps? Yes freedom to speak whatever language you want is important but just as much as having a cohesive society. English should be mandatory on adds.

This is not a language issue. Come on people, know the difference.

It should be in English and French. Those are our two official languages.

English, then French.

Only English and French.

The other thing that is wrong with this ad, is that Crest mouthwash actually stains teeth yellow. I would always go to the dentist and my dentist would always wonder why my teeth are so yellow, so I would use more mouthwash and it would get more yellow. Eventually I told them I used Crest and they told me to stop immediately. Teeth have been white ever since.

yes but they're not marketing the product to those people.

Is this really about language or is it about something deeper and more personal?

Why? Most Chinese or Indian ads I have seen specifically target their demographic for a reason because they know other groups or ethnicities have no interest or use for the product they're offering. Like once when I was visiting surrey I saw an advert for a skin lighting cream.. Now I gave my head a quick shake.. but I know things like these are written in native languages for a reason.

The products are marketed towards specific groups

Why? Most Chinese or Indian ads I have seen specifically target their demographic for a reason because they know other groups or ethnicities have no interest or use for the product they're offering. Like once when I was visiting surrey I saw an advert for a skin lighting cream.. Now I gave my head a quick shake.. but I know things like these are written in native languages for a reason.

Its amazing that somepeople here don't understand that this is just business. That's it. No one is taking over.

Like seriously, they have to be trolls.

I also laughed because, over here we try to get darker and they try to get lighter :P

Its amazing that somepeople here don't understand that this is just business. That's it. No one is taking over.

Like seriously, they have to be trolls.

I also laughed because, over here we try to get darker and they try to get lighter :P

exactly.. Why make it a bigger issue then it has to be..

Yeah lol some people in India go crazy trying to get fair skin. I know some people who are obsessed with the problem here.

Who cares. If Crest or whatever toothpaste company wants to exclude English speakers from reading the ad, then English speakers will be less likely to buy the product. People complain about ads all the time, now they complain when they can't read them?

It's not like this is a government service, it's a voluntary private entity.

Archived