The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So can we assume A V wasn't the problem?

jerkstore1972

Sounds fairly easy in retrospect since the Sedins sucked last season. Remember Richards was in a massive slump the last couple years and St Louis didn't have a good regular season (with the Rangers anyway). I think many were surprised by how they re-found their form.

that;s why i said currently

Great goaltending makes coaches look good.

AV was blessed with Luo and now with Lundqvist.

With that said it is nice to hear a calm and even jovial coach on the podium.

Because Tortorella didn't have Lundqvist when he was the Rangers' coach, no?

the intelligent people always knew vigneault wasn't the problem.

It sounds like the intelligent people know exactly what the problem is/was, as I am assuming that you are one of the intelligent people, could you in 100 words or less please explain.

Please cc Trevor Linden and Jim Benning on your findings, as I am sure they would appreciate it.

It sounds like the intelligent people know exactly what the problem is/was, as I am assuming that you are one of the intelligent people, could you in 100 words or less please explain.

Please cc Trevor Linden and Jim Benning on your findings, as I am sure they would appreciate it.

its impossible for an outsider to know exactly what the problem is, especially since it appears to be largely to do with team chemistry, but it was obvious it wasn't the coach.

yeah, av needed to go, but he wasn't the problem.

its impossible for an outsider to know exactly what the problem is, especially since it appears to be largely to do with team chemistry, but it was obvious it wasn't the coach.

So maybe stop using such smug statements like "the intelligent people knew". We're all fans...that precludes us from intelligence. ;)

So maybe stop using such smug statements like "the intelligent people knew". We're all fans...that precludes us from intelligence. ;)

no?

i stand by my statement.

at the end of vigneault's tenure here there were countless people here saying moronic things like he was an ahl coach at best, he was the reason they didn't win the cup in 2011, he should have been fired with nonis, blah blah blah, and then there were the reasonable, intelligent people saying that it was probably time for him to go, but he wasn't the problem with the team.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing isn't it Tas, especially when it works in your favor.

I am a bit disappointed in your answer, as you had lead me to believe that you truly had something of great "intelligence" to offer. So what you're really saying is that "your opinion" = intelligence. Strike that last request to cc Trevor and Jim, I thought they may be getting access to some sort of genius that had not been available to them previously.

no?

i stand by my statement.

at the end of vigneault's tenure here there were countless people here saying moronic things like he was an ahl coach at best, he was the reason they didn't win the cup in 2011, he should have been fired with nonis, blah blah blah, and then there were the reasonable, intelligent people saying that it was probably time for him to go, but he wasn't the problem with the team.

Yeah I'm with you on that it's just I'm a little less smug about it maybe. I mean I consider myself intelligent but I certainly have made poor judgments about players and coaches in the past.

AV wasn't THE problem but he was a part of it for sure. The main problem was not getting the type of support players that you need to win but another problem was that the core got stale. It's the coach's job to motivate the players when they lose motivation and AV wasn't able to do that.

At the end of the day, AV was the winningest coach in the Canucks history and for sure he was good but given the players he had, he failed to deliver the ultimate goal.

With NY, he has a team that was sick of playing under Torts and many talented young and experienced players all playing sort of different roles and most importantly, the best goalie in the league at the moment in Lundqvist (in my opinion).

Coaches have shelf live. Some have longer shelf live than others. AV needed to go from Vancouver not because he’s a bad coach but because the locker had tuned him out the last year. It happen to every coach, every coach is going to get fired at some point.

On the flip side we should be happy for AV, he was a big part of this team and didn’t ask to be let go. A big difference between canucks and flames fans. Flames fire Sutter and then the whole city cheers him on to win a cup in LA. As soon as a former canucks leaves Vancouver the city turns on him and doesn’t wish them to have any personal success. Not everyone does but a good majority, It’s kind of a joke really.

I for one hope he wins that cup.

AV's style of play is suited for the eastern conference...he would still get destroyed in our division

Don't get this statement.

You make it sound like the coach is the only factor that wins games.

The Nucks were destroyed in our division this past season and AV was nowhere to be found. It's going to take a lot more than a coaching change to get this team winning games again.

AV is a very good coach. He outsmarted Boston and has a number of NYRs playing their best hockey. His team is well prepared for games and came out flying in the majority of their games.

Well this season just keeps getting worse eh? I mean dont get me wrong, I am glad for AV, but this doesnt look good for us. Did our core need a new voice or did our voice need a new core :/

And will either MG or Torts get another job in the NHL? After this mess of a year it seems unlikely.

Great goaltending makes coaches look good.

AV was blessed with Luo and now with Lundqvist.

With that said it is nice to hear a calm and even jovial coach on the podium.

Works both ways too. I think AV has a better chance with Lundqvist than with Lu since I doubt he'll be as horribly inconsistent as Lu was in the 2011 SCF. I guess we'll see.

Archived