The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Question about tax return

sakage.shinga

Hey guys,

I just filed my tax return today but I have a question. I'm using TurboTax and at the end of the filing process, it says that I will get a tax refund of ~$350, but when I went over my provincial info, the form also says that the provincial taxes payable is ~$135. Is it possible to get a tax refund from the federal government and at the same time owe the provincial government taxes? I don't recall seeing this before in the previous years so I'm wondering if I made a mistake somewhere.

My income situation is quite simple, I work for a single employer, have claimed EI periodically, but otherwise have no other investments or incomes.

Thanks!

If you owe money, you'll have an amount in line 485 of your T1. If you are getting a refund, you'll have an amount in line 484 of your T1.

I don't believe you can get a refund from one and owe the other. It all gets taken care of on the T1.

Thanks! Just checked and line 485 is ZERO.

Speaking of taxes, sorry to rub it in guys (not really ;)), but here's a hint for you BC residents visiting Washington..

Go with someone from Alberta.

Albertans showing their ID's in Washington don't have to pay sales tax (they are sales tax exempt). People from BC do just as those from WA do as well.

Thanks ill notify the RCMP for you :)

Psssh. I have owed a tax return to someone, somewhere, my entire adult life! Right now only owe a return for California state tax.

If you don't owe money you don't need to fill in the forms if you don't want to. Unless they send you the card that says "You don't need to fill out a return unless" upon which it lists a bunch of things like min income and what not but of course the last bullet point is "We send you this card" lol.

Now, if you make a ton of money and don't pay taxes on it and don't report it, well, then, ya, look out for the RCMP.

IF are due a refund then not filling out your taxes on time is not a biggie. But if you owe money they add late filing penalties plus interest that can easily add up to big money in a fairly short amount of time.

IF you are leaving it until today go to a accounting firm and get it done right now. H&R block is fine if you are only doing a simple return. Otherwise hit up the real pros. Its getting really late to be thinking about this stuff.

IF are due a refund then not filling out your taxes on time is not a biggie. But if you owe money they add late filing penalties plus interest that can easily add up to big money in a fairly short amount of time.

IF you are leaving it until today go to a accounting firm and get it done right now. H&R block is fine if you are only doing a simple return. Otherwise hit up the real pros. Its getting really late to be thinking about this stuff.

Meh, my return is mega complicated. And I am going to H&R block (they actually have some real accountants you have to book) at the last minute, tomorrow in fact.

Remember, if you leave it to the last minute, it only takes a minute!

Don't you come to your final refund amount after you complete your federal and provincial tax returns?

I still do it on paper and that's how it's done (in Ontario anyways).

Who cares? Let them figure it out if you don't have it right. If they owe you money they send a cheque. If you owe them money they send a bill.

Last year when I did my taxes I owed them like a thousand bucks (but I got 3000 back from my US one, lucky me, got to do two returns last year!) but since I didn't have that at the time I simply got them to tick the "send me the bill box". When you get the bill I think you have like until July 1 to pay and even then if you actually file the late payment charges are not nearly as much. So long as you make it clear you intend to pay.

Meh, my return is mega complicated. And I am going to H&R block (they actually have some real accountants you have to book) at the last minute, tomorrow in fact.

Remember, if you leave it to the last minute, it only takes a minute!

heh, I just did it online using SimpleTax and it took ... maybe 30 of those minutes! But it was really painless, nice little interface they've made. I'm a pretty simple tax case though similar to the OP. If I had a complicated return in any way I'd rather pay a pro to do it for me.

Also I think the deadline got pushed back to May 5th because of the Heartbleed bug.

Also I think the deadline got pushed back to May 5th because of the Heartbleed bug.

From the Gov of Canada website:

Generally, your return for 2013 has to be filed on or before April 30, 2014.

Recognizing that recent service interruption lasted five days, the Minister of National Revenue has announced that interest and penalties will not be applied to individual taxpayers filing their 2013 tax returns after April 30, 2014 for a period equal to the length of this service interruption. This means individual tax returns for 2013 filed on or before May 5, 2014 will not incur interest or penalties.

Source:http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ll-dts/frms-eng.html

Archived