The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Nick Ritchie] Junior Point totals vs Getzlaf, Lucic, and Nash

Merci

I definitely dont. Ehlers had 49 goals and 104 points. Ritchie had 74 points. There is a wide gap in the talent between them.

No team in the top 5 has said anything about passing up others to take Ritchie. Put up the source.

Skill guys are rare. Ehlers kind of skill is extremely rare. Its willful denial to try to suggest otherwise. Ehlers is faster and put up better numbers than Hodgson did. Using him as a comparison downgrades Ehlers.

I appreciate your love for Ritchie because I like the package he brings. Please dont be like these other clowns and find it necessary to make up horse crap and use hyperbole to make your case. State your case for Ritchie without having to put Ehlers or the other candidates down.

When you have to put other candidates down to make yours look better, it suggests you arent very confident in your own prospect.

First of all, I have Ehlers rated really high, just behind Ritchie so I have no reason to put down Ehlers. If we drafted either of the two I would be happy. Second of all, there is a wide discrepancy in talent and I've never said that there isn't. However, if I draft Ritchie it's not because of what I expect him to accomplish points wise, but how he can dominate opposing lines and create space and chances for teammates.

Btw nowhere in my post did I put down Ehlers. There is no source for what I have to say about the teams but Burke is the kind of guy that would draft a bigger guy like Ritchie over some of the other prospects. Ritchie going to Edmonton at 3rd is a bit of a reach I think but there may be a decent chance that he could be drafted at 5 as well or by us. The comparison to Hodgson was more of a trade value in that a prospect already contributing at the NHL level could only fetch a power forward prospect who had proven nothing. I was not trying to compare Hodgson to Ehlers. Lastly my point about the skill is that there are a lot of skilled guys that are 1st line material who were not drafted in the first round and that you don't have to be as skilled as Ehlers to be a 1st line guy..hence skill guys being a dime a dozen. On the other hand, because of the rarity of Ritchie's package it gives him a really good shot at being an effective 1st line guy and most 1st line power forwards are drafted in the first round, Lucic being just outside the 1st round.

Unless its Reinhart or Ekblad, I believe every other prospect is at least 2 years away. Including Ritchie or Ehlers. I don't want to rush any prospects into the team too quickly.

You could be right but my main point is that Ritchie, if still there at 6th will be NHL ready quicker then Ehlers.

You could be right but my main point is that Ritchie, if still there at 6th will be NHL ready quicker then Ehlers.

So what if he is NHL ready right away? I don't care about that. I care about actually developing our prospects to be the best they can be.

he doesn't have better shot, he's not as strong and not as physical (although it's very close), and not as offensive. Only thing Virtannen has on Ritchie is speed.

Don't get me wrong, i'll pick Ritchie over Virtanen but Jake is more physical, and their shots are equal.

The upside that Ritchie has over Virtanen is that he has a much better IQ and establishes himself in the offensive zones as opposed to Virtanen just bowling his way into the offensive zone and going from there.

Don't get me wrong, i'll pick Ritchie over Virtanen but Jake is more physical, and their shots are equal.

The upside that Ritchie has over Virtanen is that he has a much better IQ and establishes himself in the offensive zones as opposed to Virtanen just bowling his way into the offensive zone and going from there.

I would think so too but the information I have now is the Canucks had interviews with both Nylander and Ehlers. They had a long interview with Virtanen and no interview at all with Ritchie.

At first they were saying only Virtanen and Fleury were interviewed but then 2 days later it was corrected as they interviewed Nylander and Ehlers. No interview for Ritchie unless someone has new information or a source.

Its confounding to me because for my money I take Ritchie over Virtanen but i think Linden / Benning have other ideas.

His combine results make me leery of getting him with any 1st round pick above 14

That makes no sense. He's only 18, a combine barely affects a players ranking. All it does is tell the scouts how physically developed a player is. Ritchie will have lots of time to improve his strength and conditioning. You don't pass on a player just because they did poor in the combine otherwise Bennett would drop into the 2nd round.

I would think so too but the information I have now is the Canucks had interviews with both Nylander and Ehlers. They had a long interview with Virtanen and no interview at all with Ritchie.

At first they were saying only Virtanen and Fleury were interviewed but then 2 days later it was corrected as they interviewed Nylander and Ehlers. No interview for Ritchie unless someone has new information or a source.

Its confounding to me because for my money I take Ritchie over Virtanen but i think Linden / Benning have other ideas.

Highly doubt the Canucks only interviewed only four players (usually players say that they're interviewed by 20 teams or so)...

However, it does look like Linden likes Virtanen a lot.

Highly doubt the Canucks only interviewed only four players (usually players say that they're interviewed by 20 teams or so)...

However, it does look like Linden likes Virtanen a lot.

They interviewed 64

Virtanen better than Ritchie IMO

The Canucks aren't going to draft Nick Ritchie at #6 overall...at the current moment Jake Virtanen seems to be the pick unless Leon Draisaitl somehow manages to slide to #6 (highly doubt); wouldnt mind trading up for Reinhart or Leon if they happen to slide a few spots either (#4 or #5 picks)

The Canucks aren't going to draft Nick Ritchie at #6 overall...at the current moment Jake Virtanen seems to be the pick unless Leon Draisaitl somehow manages to slide to #6 (highly doubt); wouldnt mind trading up for Reinhart or Leon if they happen to slide a few spots either (#4 or #5 picks)

Explain how you know this

Actually no the most high end player outside of the top 5 is nylander and thats a fact, vancouver would be lucky to get him at 6.

Archived