The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Tanker Liability set for $400 million, $1.6 billion for clean up

Warhippy

Oh, and of course, I should mention that the government itself is a shareholder in many of these companies.

As an example, just google shareholders of Suncor.

You would see the Quebec Pension Plan is tenth, and the BC Pension plan if 14th. So if you are a government employee in either province, congrats, you are a shareholder in one of the evil companies.

And it no doubt works with lots of them.

And if you look at who else owns them, huge amounts are owned by Canadian banks, bank funds, or other Canadian mutual funds.

So odds are, unless you own no mutual funds at all through an RRSP, or have no pension, there's a VERY good chance you have a stake in the game, regardless of whether or not you are aware of it.

So don't be surprised that the government stacks the odds in your favour, Mr./Mrs. Shareholder........

One cannot ignore greed and stupidity when it come to the choices we make between the 2.

Look, now I am agreeing with you. Apparently it can happen twice. If you look at greed and stupidity you can understand almost all of human behavior.

Thanks Brother.

I believe that all human beings must care about this planet we all share, the world and the enviroment are like a motor , if one part breaks or misfunctions then eventually the motor will break down.

110% with you.

We have nothing if we continue on a path of destruction and devastation and have greed steering us in that.

$1.4 billion doesn't even cover 1 single years worth of fishing and tourism on the coasts....

What an absolute joke

. Fishing will be finished soon because of fukishima pur sea is dying my buddy found a dead porpoise on a beach near victoria this week :(

. Fishing will be finished soon because of fukishima pur sea is dying my buddy found a dead porpoise on a beach near victoria this week :(

if ur talking about that picture where it shows radiation going across the entire ocean and over to North America there's already been tons of articles that have come out showing that it's bs

How did you determine the cause of death was due to Fukushima? Did you perform an autopsy?

Chill out with the drama.

Look, now I am agreeing with you. Apparently it can happen twice. If you look at greed and stupidity you can understand almost all of human behavior.

We agree on more than you think Ron , while you are very conservative you do have a practical mind.

What blows me away is that it seems a lot of our supposed leaders do not realise that history will damn many of them for the decisions they have made in our name.

We agree on more than you think Ron , while you are very conservative you do have a practical mind.

What blows me away is that it seems a lot of our supposed leaders do not realise that history will damn many of them for the decisions they have made in our name.

I am only conservative in relative to CDC. I am more a classical liberal.

Our leaders are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. If Canada does not make a windfall from the tarsands, then our economy will be in shambles. Remember, right now, Candadians per capita are at record debt levels. Our housing market is at record highs. Our demographics are getting quite skewed towards having an older, lower tax payer, higher service using population. In places like BC even before we undergo the full shift towards and inverted age pyramid we are already devoting more than half our provincial budget to healthcare, while our school system takes a lot of money as well due to the fact that the school locations no longer match where the children are (and more importantly, increasingly aren't). As a result, even now, we have non stop complaints about the healthcare system and threats of strikes and stress from the workers. In education, we have protests to stop closing some schools that are half full, some still operating at high costs due to being half full due to lack of children and funding. While in other areas (the few pockets of cheap living in this province) you have most of the children being taught in ATCO trailers. All of this while your average Canadian is in debt to their eyeballs, just as every city is in financial trouble, just as every province is having trouble making ends meet (Ontario for example has something crazy like a 12 billion dollar deficit this year, more than the federal government!), and of course the federal government is trying desperately to get their budget balanced, but they are making a lot of cuts including some very unpopular ones to do so.

Into that environment, we have a choice. We can choose to generate more income via resource extraction and risk environmental damage, or we can choose to save the environment and endure a much worse standard of living, and the prospect of handing the next generation a crippling level of debt.

No surprise that the people that want to get elected are fixated on the easy source of money. Make no mistake, as much as CDC likes to blame Harper for this, Trudeau would be doing close to the same thing. He is on the record for not being against the pipelines.

The NDP might not allow the pipelines and nationalize the oil sands, but you might as well just tell Alberta to declare independence if you do. The "Let those eastern bastards freeze in the dark" bumper stickers are no figment of my imagination, they were quite popular during the national energy program that did nationalize the oil in the past, much to the economic ruin of Alberta. I assure you, they remember that period well.

No surprise that the people that want to get elected are fixated on the easy source of money. Make no mistake, as much as CDC likes to blame Harper for this, Trudeau would be doing close to the same thing. He is on the record for not being against the pipelines.

I`m not going to speak for the rest of CDC but I'm not opposed to pipelines. I'm opposed to poor governance/decision making surrounding them. Which is what we're unfortunately getting.

I'm acutely aware of the financial realities that make them a necessary evil. What we need is better governance to maximize the return on OUR resources and minimize the possibility/impact of the "necessary evil".

This isn't black and white or good vs evil. It's stupid vs smart resource management.

"Into that environment, we have a choice. We can choose to generate more income via resource extraction and risk environmental damage, or we can choose to save the environment and endure a much worse standard of living, and the prospect of handing the next generation a crippling level of debt."

False choices. It's not either/or.

"Into that environment, we have a choice. We can choose to generate more income via resource extraction and risk environmental damage, or we can choose to save the environment and endure a much worse standard of living, and the prospect of handing the next generation a crippling level of debt."

False choices. It's not either/or.

What should we do then?

I am not sure what you call people that build strawmen.

I usually vote BC liberal. The Fracking makes me happy. Oils spills? Just the cost of making millions.

I am more concerned with the fiscal well being of the country. FYI some of the biggest holders of Canadian oil and gas stock are the Canadian Pension Plan and other similar entities.

I have no problem with having strict rules, regulations, and penalties for not following them when it comes to oil and gas extraction.

I believe in Science, not God. Just don't tell the militant CDC atheists....

I believe that even if we killed off all of Canada, turned it all into a Global Wildlife refuge, and left every Canadian resource in the ground, that global warming is still going to happen.

So no, you are not a godless hippy. You are just another run of the mill financially illiterate CDC person opposed to building just about anything anywhere. Only your lack of factual response and resorting to name calling tactics being slightly stronger than the average person sets you apart, but not in a way that you should be proud of.

Archived