The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ECF: (4) Montreal Canadiens vs (5) New York Rangers

Who will win the series?  

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

look what AV did the season that got him fired

the team was spiraling downwards with him as the head coach that is a fact look at pretty much every single stat since the Cup final it was trending downwards ya some blame can be put on Gillis but AV shares that blame as well Torts inherited a broken team credited to both AV and Gillis not doing their jobs

I agree the team had tuned out AV. Or was it the other way around?..AV was famous for not communicating with players.

But the main fault lies with Gillis for not aquiring good support players, and creating a circus in the net. His last big mistake was hiring Torts.

Because Torts compounded a bad situation. Remember he was going to develop young players? Instead he overplayed our top vets to the point of multiple injuries, refused to trust and develop a 4th line to the point he forced a weak Gillis to trade away our best 4th liner in Weise, because he wasn't going to play him anyways. Look at the role NY fourth line played in this series. You have to develop and play your 4th line during the season if only to get them into the rhythm and feel a part of the team. Doesn't hurt that it relieves the ice time of the top lines. So that when the playoffs start they are solid and ready to go.

With Chicago likely to win Game 6 (they have a rediculous, 10-1 or something record in Game 6s with Quinneville), the Western team will be beaten and bruised going up against a rested Rangers team.

If the Kings win the next game, they'll smash the Rangers. They're just too big and strong. If Chicago win it in Game 7 they'll be tired, worn down and just aren't good enough to out-skill the Ranger's hard work (they can't beat them with size) or out-duel them in goal or defence.

Kings or Rangers are winning this Cup depending on who takes the West.

Hughson has mailed it in. He should forfeit the SCF to Cole.

He sounded fine to me. And please no Bob "I'm 90 years old and 5 seconds behind every call" Cole.

Anyway, it looked to me like Habs just ran out of gas. It was a good series but I'm glad to see AV win it. Also I have to say that Tokarski while having a shaky first NHL playoff game, looked amazing for the situation he was thrust into since that. That guy is going to be a good NHL starter some day... I just hope he isn't stuck behind Price as long as Schneider was stuck behind Luongo.

Screw the Kings and Hawks. Lets go Rangers!!

I think the Rags can beat Chi Town, but not LA.

They have a chance against either. This is playoff hockey.

Rangers could use their speed to great effect against LA a la Montreal vs Boston. I actually think they're a worse stylistic matchup against Chicago because I feel Chicago can do anything New York can do better...except stop pucks. Crawford vs Lundqvist could be a big factor if that's the series.

Well done AV and Rangers. Imo the best team I have seen in this year's SC. Whether they have enough left in the tank, well, we'll see but it has been a brilliant vindication for the ex Canucks coach (es)

How anyone could say they are weak is beyond me and sounds like sour grapes. I hope they lift the cup just to give us some inspiration for next year. Speed, skill and just enough physicality, reminds me of us in 2011 and we were not weak by any means.

By the way that was some bit of business by our ex GM. We trade Weise, who was a revelation in Montreal, for Diaz, who we then trade away for a 5th in 2015 before we had even assessed him properly. (6 games, that he played pretty well if I recall) That guy better be some 5th rounder, that's all I can say.

I felt sorry for the Habs because but for Lundqvist they might have been going to a game 7. Well done to their young goalie too.

I agree the team had tuned out AV. Or was it the other way around?..AV was famous for not communicating with players.

Only amongst detractors who didn't really know what they were talking about, but were willing to perpetuate any hearsay about him as long as it was negative.

Also, I have to chuckle at the "theory" that the loss of Dale Weise cost the Habs this game. It's almost as silly as blaming the officiating. When the loss of a 4th line grinder is enough to push your team over the edge, you weren't good enough to begin with.

Montreal managed 18 shots in a game where they faced elimination. They were completely shut down by the Rangers. In fact, their best chance to score came on a play where Dan Girardi was the last one to touch the puck...

Only amongst detractors who didn't really know what they were talking about, but were willing to perpetuate any hearsay about him as long as it was negative.

Also, I have to chuckle at the "theory" that the loss of Dale Weise cost the Habs this game. It's almost as silly as blaming the officiating. When the loss of a 4th line grinder is enough to push your team over the edge, you weren't good enough to begin with.

Montreal managed 18 shots in a game where they faced elimination. They were completely shut down by the Rangers. In fact, their best chance to score came on a play where Dan Girardi was the last one to touch the puck...

Montral was emotionly warn out cause they did such a good job as underdog against boston. Maybe to good cause they played at regular season intensity after that while the rangers were on another level after beating sid the kid and malkin

Better team won now montreal needs to look at whats to be done to improve and to learn from the mistakes. I think they shouldnt of got vanek and should of got someone more playoff crazy intense like kesler. Other guys would of fed off him to. Look how effective toews is as a leader for his team you have guys like ben smith and 45 years old 4th liner handsuis scoring ot playoff goals

Montreal blame yourself and put a rest to the conspirasy nuts

Montral was emotionly warn out cause they did such a good job as underdog against boston. Maybe to good cause they played at regular season intensity after that while the rangers were on another level after beating sid the kid and malkin

I remember thinking that the Habs might have trouble, because they didn't have the "hate" factor that they used to rally the troops against the Bs. However, I think all of that changed when Price went down and it intensified with the incidents involving Prust, Moore and Dorsett.

The Habs certainly looked motivated in game five and there certainly seemed to be the requisite amount of nastiness, on the part of both teams.

I think it's possible that the tank was on, or near empty in game six, but I also think that the theory ignores the exceptional job that the Rangers did in shutting them down. Montreal was clearly outplayed and only the heroics of Tokarski kept the game in doubt.

I remember thinking that the Habs might have trouble, because they didn't have the "hate" factor that they used to rally the troops against the Bs. However, I think all of that changed when Price went down and it intensified with the incidents involving Prust, Moore and Dorsett.

The Habs certainly looked motivated in game five and there certainly seemed to be the requisite amount of nastiness, on the part of both teams.

I think it's possible that the tank was on, or near empty in game six, but I also think that the theory ignores the exceptional job that the Rangers did in shutting them down. Montreal was clearly outplayed and only the heroics of Tokarski kept the game in doubt.

I thought they looked tanked in the first two games as well as game six. Got a rush in game five and three and for were competitve. But i think your right to not recognize the rangers did cause they did a good job and were always competitve. More consistant approche.

Congrats to AV and the Rangers.

But Lundqvist aside, this has to be the weakest team to come out of the East in years.

LA or the Hawks are gonna roll over them. Probably a sweep or else in 5.

Lundqvist is the type of goalie who can steal the Cup for the Rangers, especially if Chicago and LA beat the crap out of each other over the next two games with a couple of overtime periods.

Lundqvist is the type of goalie who can steal the Cup for the Rangers, especially if Chicago and LA beat the crap out of each other over the next two games with a couple of overtime periods.

I agree that Henrik can steal them some games. He's on fire. But can he do enougth to beat either of these beasts coming out of the West? I doubt it.

Yup, Dale Weise has a concussion:

This might not seem like breaking news, but Montreal Canadiens forward Dale Weise has a concussion. Habs GM Marc Bergevin confirmed the injury suspicions at his year-end press conference.

Weise was injured midway through the third period in Game 5 against the New York Rangers when he took a head-high hit from defenseman John Moore. Moore was suspended two games for the hit.

Bergevin said they found out the next day Weise had a concussion. As for why he returned to the game, Bergevin explained how that came about.

“NHL has a protocol,” Bergevin said. “If the player says he’s OK, and the test says he’s OK, then he’s OK. There are flaws.”

The problem here was that Weise was not OK. Weise was put out of the game for a short time, but played over a minute more in the closing moments of the Canadiens’ 7-4 Game 5 victory.

Weise’s injury was said to be a “body injury” and not a head injury. Bergevin said the reasons for being elusive about the situation was because injuries aren’t discussed in the playoffs. That is, of course, unless a head coach makes veiled mention about knowing what an injury an opposing player had.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/02/yup-dale-weise-has-a-concussion/

Archived