The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Craig Button on the 2014 Draft: Tallon, Nylander and Ehlers, Top 10 Selections

Having skill in the CHL and being able to have creativity and freedom to play your game then being groomed to get rid of your creativity and become a whole player in the AHL/NHL is something that scares me and turns guys into role players.

I would be VERY happy if Leon Draisaitl drops to us at 6th. Players can be taught how to skate but vision of the game is hard to teach and he has an abundance of that. I think what the Canucks prospect pool really lacks moving forwards is a highly skilled center that could certainly fill a top 6 role in the future (I am confident that Horvat will develop into a very good NHL players but will he ever reach higher than being a good 2nd line center?). All this talk about Draisaitls lack of speed is getting out of hand. He clearly keeps up with players in the WHL but doesn't have those quick first few strides, that can be taught.

I am hoping that the 10th overall pick is aquired as well to pick up another player. Hoping that would be Virtanen. With the combination of speed, toughness and a NHL ready shot he has the potential of becoming a very special player as well despite his shoulder surgery.

If the Canucks walk away from the draft with Draisaitl and Virtanen my head might just explode.

With Virtanens injury it is entirely possible provided a trade is facilitated that gets us another top 10 pick

Craig Button went on TSN Radio Monday June 2, 2014 and had some interesting things to say about the upcoming 2014 entry draft:

On Tallon:

1. He doesnt think Dale Tallon will end up selecting one of the top 3 rated prospects (reinhart, ekblad, bennent)
  2. When you look at Tallons draft history you can see he really likes high end skilled players
  3. Could see Tallon moving back so he could select one of Nylander or Ehlers

On Nylander and Ehlers:

1. These 2 are exceptionally talented players
  2. The idea of drafting one of these two is really beginning to pick up traction with teams
  3. Some teams view Nylander and Ehlers in the same category as the top 3
  4. Because of players like Brendan Gallagher, teams are not as afraid to draft smaller players

On the Top 10 Selections:

1. He believes Leon Draisital, Michael Dal Colle, and Nick Ritchie will be there when the second half of the top 10 make their selections
  2. Button warns teams selecting in the top 10 to not underestimate Nylander and Ehlers

3 months of arguing over Ehlers, Nylander, Ritchie and Virtanen. Now we will end up picking Draisaitl or Dal Colle.

I am very happy.

I hope we get the #10 as well to snag Virtanen. He needs work but he is all raw talent.

If we take Nylander do we throw him into the big boy roster or the A? Or does he stay where he is? How does it work?

He never played juniors in NA so we can stick him in Utica right away. I suspect he will want to stay in the SEL for a year though. I would like to see him develop in the AHL right away but I guess that is just a wish .

Nyi has to take the most nhl ready player.

If they think thats nylander and not dal colle all the power to them.

Way i see it

Ekblad

reinhart

bennett

draisaitl

nylander

dal colle

ritchie or ehlers too close to call.

Nyi has to take the most nhl ready player.

If they think thats nylander and not dal colle all the power to them.

Way i see it

Ekblad

reinhart

bennett

draisaitl

nylander

dal colle

ritchie or ehlers too close to call.

I can see it shaking out this way. I would be happy with Dal Colle and certainly Draisaitl but PLEASE lets pray Bennett does not fall down there. I am telling you he is over rated.

Didnt he have Virtanen at 41 or something insane like that?

Yea he jumped 30 spots in buttons draft in 3 months

Virtanen is super young tho so its not too far fetched.

Iam hoping we trade for the 10th getting ehlers ritchie or nylander and virtanen would be gangbusters.

Yea he jumped 30 spots in buttons draft in 3 months

Virtanen is super young tho so its not too far fetched.

Iam hoping we trade for the 10th getting ehlers ritchie or nylander and virtanen would be gangbusters.

Me too. Obviously we have differnt folks at 6 but I think we all agree to get Jake at #10

He knows way more than you...

Button actually watches games. You probably look at stats, read articles, and watch highlight reels.

Button isn't a successful mock-drafter, so he do have a point. Button had Fucale in the top10 last year. He had Madison Bowey at 27th last year and he went 53rd overall. I think Button even said himself that he isn't the best mock-drafter, that's not his thing. I find it very hard to believe that both Draisaitl and Dal Colle will be available at 6th. Draisaitl seems like a pretty good fit for Edmonton, even though they would probably prefer Ekblad.

Button isn't a successful mock-drafter, so he do have a point. Button had Fucale in the top10 last year. He had Madison Bowey at 27th last year and he went 53rd overall. I think Button even said himself that he isn't the best mock-drafter, that's not his thing. I find it very hard to believe that both Draisaitl and Dal Colle will be available at 6th. Draisaitl seems like a pretty good fit for Edmonton, even though they would probably prefer Ekblad.

I just hope it aint Bennett. :(

Archived