The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

47 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Pretty lame all the games I was looking forward to getting on PC I'll be getting on console now instead. I understand the devs getting more revenue (88%>75%), but a lot more people are willing to buy off of Steam than Epic. So in order to make the difference in lost sales Epic just throws money at devs to get them exclusive on their platform which has numerous issues including security. That's what my problem with it is. I also don't know what it's going to take for Gaben to just match the revenue share.

If gamers keep favouring one corporation over another they're just shooting themselves in the foot.

It's why I love to laugh at Apple fanboys.  If Apple's bottom line and their executive's bonuses improved with some of their deaths, Tim Cook would team up with the ghost of Steve Jobs and they would hunt down said fanboys and shoot them in their sleep.

On 3/21/2019 at 8:58 PM, Xbox said:

It's not exclusive to the Epic store, it's coming on Windows store as well. Hope it's play anywhere with Xbox.

Pretty crappy of these publishers to have Steam pages created and pull it from Steam. Maybe 1/10 people will buy the game compared to if it was on Steam. Guess I'll have to start pirating games and adding them to Steam myself.

I'm guessing Epic won't have as liberal of a refund policy as Steam.  Great for game publishers like the ones that sold Fallout 76 for retail (and not have to worry about refunding disgruntled gamers who bought a AAA game that was a beta).

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'm guessing Epic won't have as liberal of a refund policy as Steam.  Great for game publishers like the ones that sold Fallout 76 for retail (and not have to worry about refunding disgruntled gamers who bought a AAA game that was a beta).

Yeah it's pretty bad from what I've heard. I saw a post where someone made a typo in his e-mail and couldn't get access to the game he bought or refund it. Epic is missing so many features that they pay publishers for exclusivity to force people to use their crappy store if they want to play a game. Valve definitely deserves some blame though because if they just matched the revenue share this would all be over. Right now it's 70-75% depending on sales. Epic CEO tweeted the following.

If Steam committed to a permanent 88% revenue share for all developers and publishers without major strings attached,” Sweeney wrote, “Epic would hastily organize a retreat from exclusives (while honoring our partner commitments) and consider putting our own games on Steam.”

• Upvote 1

On 5/3/2019 at 7:26 PM, SabreFan1 said:

If gamers keep favouring one corporation over another they're just shooting themselves in the foot.

It's why I love to laugh at Apple fanboys.  If Apple's bottom line and their executive's bonuses improved with some of their deaths, Tim Cook would team up with the ghost of Steve Jobs and they would hunt down said fanboys and shoot them in their sleep.

I hate how they buy exclusivity instead of using those resources to create a better platform. At least The Outer Worlds will be available on the Microsoft Store on top of Epic's store.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Xbox said:

I hate how they buy exclusivity instead of using those resources to create a better platform. At least The Outer Worlds will be available on the Microsoft Store on top of Epic's store.

As long as they turn a profit, they'll do both.  Sony and Microsoft bought exclusivity for their platforms for years.  Epic is following suit. 

Unless gamers stupidly fall in love with one corporation over another, the competition between Epic and Valve is good for the devs and by extension, the people who will play the games that they create.

Edited by SabreFan1

12 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

As long as they turn a profit, they'll do both.  Sony and Microsoft bought exclusivity for their platforms for years.  Epic is following suit. 

Unless gamers stupidly fall in love with one corporation over another, the competition between Epic and Valve is good for the devs and by extension, the people who will play the games that they create.

Giving devs/publishers a giant lump sum of cash to restrict access to a single launcher that's of poor standard is not a good thing for gamers. Epic gives them money to make up for lost sales, and if they already have their money then where's the incentive to keep updating the game to make it better? If this keeps up the quality of games will gradually decrease. The only people who benefit from this are the devs/publishers because they get their money right away and can move on to newer projects faster. 

Console or PC I will always be against 3rd party exclusivity. It does nothing but restrict choice for the consumer and to see it spun any other way is a joke. If Epic had a good launcher or good 1st party games like the Blizzard client then none of this would be an issue. It's a dirty anti-consumer tactic to get people on their client because they can't provide a competitive product otherwise. I'm all for a good Steam competitor but Epic isn't that.

Edited by Xbox

3 hours ago, Xbox said:

Giving devs/publishers a giant lump sum of cash to restrict access to a single launcher that's of poor standard is not a good thing for gamers. Epic gives them money to make up for lost sales, and if they already have their money then where's the incentive to keep updating the game to make it better? If this keeps up the quality of games will gradually decrease. The only people who benefit from this are the devs/publishers because they get their money right away and can move on to newer projects faster. 

Console or PC I will always be against 3rd party exclusivity. It does nothing but restrict choice for the consumer and to see it spun any other way is a joke. If Epic had a good launcher or good 1st party games like the Blizzard client then none of this would be an issue. It's a dirty anti-consumer tactic to get people on their client because they can't provide a competitive product otherwise. I'm all for a good Steam competitor but Epic isn't that.

I disagree.  Game studios can literally have their lights turned off and have to close shop because of one game failure these days, or best case scenario their game fails and they get gobbled up by a giant company like EA or Ubisoft and get torn apart into a shadow of what they once were.

Giving them money for timed exclusives allows them to extend their development process and not rush a game to the market because they are going broke.

As for moving onto newer projects faster, that doesn't hold water.  A AAA title can cost up to $100 million or more and I guarantee that Epic isn't throwing that kind of cash at multiple companies.  The devs have to wait for a return on their investment of their most recent game before they go all in on a new one.  With the extra money they can maximize the time and people needed to polish their newest games before they release them.

In fact Bioware is teetering on the edge over their most recent failure with Anthem and are ramping up production on Dragon Age 4 in an attempt to just stay alive.  I wouldn't be surprised if they took someone's money at some point just so they can keep the lights on and the doors open.  If DA 4 fails, it's going to take Bioware down with it.

This isn't a greedy dev thing, it's a survival tactic.  Gamers as a whole are whinier than pro wrestling fans and will review bomb a game over the slightest thing.  They need to cover their costs and their butts the best way they can.

It's only the idiotic gamers who favour one corporation (who doesn't favour them back) over another one who are suffering.  So what if you have to buy a game from Epic instead of Valve?  Both of their installing software sucks and has code in it that collects data on you to monetize.  People whined about Epic's software at first, but that went away as soon as people were reminded about how terrible Valve's software was in the beginning.

I have yet to even make an Epic account so I don't care if their service fails tomorrow as long as someone steps up in it's place and offers Valve competition.  Monopolies are almost never a good thing.

Just look at what happened to Blizzard when they announced there will be no Diablo 4 but instead a mobile version. Their share price plummeted and has not recovered. Telling the fan base 7 years of waiting the cavalry isn't coming with a new game is a great way to severely hurt your company. Who comes up with these decisions, christ. As much as Ubisoft annoys me by rehashing Farcry, they're smart enough to not deviate away from what is obviously making them money by going mobile or something else. 

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

3 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I disagree.  Game studios can literally have their lights turned off and have to close shop because of one game failure these days, or best case scenario their game fails and they get gobbled up by a giant company like EA or Ubisoft and get torn apart into a shadow of what they once were.

Giving them money for timed exclusives allows them to extend their development process and not rush a game to the market because they are going broke.

As for moving onto newer projects faster, that doesn't hold water.  A AAA title can cost up to $100 million or more and I guarantee that Epic isn't throwing that kind of cash at multiple companies.  The devs have to wait for a return on their investment of their most recent game before they go all in on a new one.  With the extra money they can maximize the time and people needed to polish their newest games before they release them.

In fact Bioware is teetering on the edge over their most recent failure with Anthem and are ramping up production on Dragon Age 4 in an attempt to just stay alive.  I wouldn't be surprised if they took someone's money at some point just so they can keep the lights on and the doors open.  If DA 4 fails, it's going to take Bioware down with it.

This isn't a greedy dev thing, it's a survival tactic.  Gamers as a whole are whinier than pro wrestling fans and will review bomb a game over the slightest thing.  They need to cover their costs and their butts the best way they can.

It's only the idiotic gamers who favour one corporation (who doesn't favour them back) over another one who are suffering.  So what if you have to buy a game from Epic instead of Valve?  Both of their installing software sucks and has code in it that collects data on you to monetize.  People whined about Epic's software at first, but that went away as soon as people were reminded about how terrible Valve's software was in the beginning.

I have yet to even make an Epic account so I don't care if their service fails tomorrow as long as someone steps up in it's place and offers Valve competition.  Monopolies are almost never a good thing.

I understand where you're coming from but since you don't have an account I'm going to single my issues on one single thing that if they fixed, I'd maybe become a customer. I get multiple emails from Epic every day claiming people are trying to log into my account. I changed my password 3 times and barely even played Fortnite. I still get those e-mails. If Epic wants me as a customer, they need to step up their game in the security department. I'm also still bitter with how they managed the Metro: Exodus situation. I also don't understand why Valve just doesn't match the revenue share. That's Epic's end goal.

3 hours ago, Xbox said:

I understand where you're coming from but since you don't have an account I'm going to single my issues on one single thing that if they fixed, I'd maybe become a customer. I get multiple emails from Epic every day claiming people are trying to log into my account. I changed my password 3 times and barely even played Fortnite. I still get those e-mails. If Epic wants me as a customer, they need to step up their game in the security department. I'm also still bitter with how they managed the Metro: Exodus situation. I also don't understand why Valve just doesn't match the revenue share. That's Epic's end goal.

Glad I never made an account with them if their security is that poor that a username list is floating around in the wild.

I saw a video about the tweets where they said that they would shutter their store if Valve matched their percentage.  If they truly become a hard competitor pulling in a sizable profit, they'll go back on that promise in a heartbeat.  Any for profit business would.

The long and the short of it is that there needs to be competition.  Without it, everyone but Valve and their bottom line gets screwed in the long run.  Maybe the next company that pulls in ridiculous profits from a shooter will open up their own storefront and do better than both Valve and Epic.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Glad I never made an account with them if their security is that poor that a username list is floating around in the wild.

I saw a video about the tweets where they said that they would shutter their store if Valve matched their percentage.  If they truly become a hard competitor pulling in a sizable profit, they'll go back on that promise in a heartbeat.  Any for profit business would.

The long and the short of it is that there needs to be competition.  Without it, everyone but Valve and their bottom line gets screwed in the long run.  Maybe the next company that pulls in ridiculous profits from a shooter will open up their own storefront and do better than both Valve and Epic.

I agree. It's less likely Epic will keep their promise as time passes. Valve needs to match soon.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 6:00 PM, Violator said:

That stadia looks pretty interesting though the 65hrs=1tb is pretty crazy.Luckily i have 1tb internet.

I'm very interested in Stadia myself. I play Destiny and with Cross-Saves it could be a great way to play the game anywhere. My only concern with Stadia is load times and player population. 

My home internet speed is fast as well but I wouldn't be using Stadia at home over my actual PC.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:39 AM, Xbox said:

I'm very interested in Stadia myself. I play Destiny and with Cross-Saves it could be a great way to play the game anywhere. My only concern with Stadia is load times and player population. 

My home internet speed is fast as well but I wouldn't be using Stadia at home over my actual PC.

Im gussing it will be cross play sounds like they are switching the way destiny works.

17 hours ago, Violator said:

Im gussing it will be cross play sounds like they are switching the way destiny works.

Destiny won't be cross-play yet, only cross-saves for now but as a player that's the big thing the game needed. Stadia will have to have some sort of cross-play because there wont be a player base on Stadia otherwise.

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2019 at 1:09 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

Have you guys played Rimworld? Top  rated game on Steam.

I bought it recently and have put about 45 hours into it. Great buy.