The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

Does anyone have any steam game suggestions?  I have some cash on my account and cannot find a game I want to spend on lol.  

I already have:

CSGO

H1Z1

PubG

Portal 2

Rainbow Six Seige

7 Days to Die

Gary's Mod (not a fan)

The Sim's (its ok)

Half Life 1/2

Also have some non steam games but I am really struggling to find anything good.  if you have some suggestions please send them my way!  Am considering "Elite Dangerous" but the price for value just seems a tad out of whack.  $80 for the full game is expensive.  (Would rather spend money on something I know for sure I will enjoy)

9 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Does anyone have any steam game suggestions?  I have some cash on my account and cannot find a game I want to spend on lol.  

I already have:

CSGO

H1Z1

PubG

Portal 2

Rainbow Six Seige

7 Days to Die

Gary's Mod (not a fan)

The Sim's (its ok)

Half Life 1/2

Also have some non steam games but I am really struggling to find anything good.  if you have some suggestions please send them my way!  Am considering "Elite Dangerous" but the price for value just seems a tad out of whack.  $80 for the full game is expensive.  (Would rather spend money on something I know for sure I will enjoy)

Get Dark Souls 3

On 2/4/2018 at 4:46 PM, Rush17 said:

I already have:

CSGO

H1Z1

PubG

Portal 2

Rainbow Six Seige

7 Days to Die

Gary's Mod (not a fan)

The Sim's (its ok)

Half Life 1/2

Looks like you like story driven first person shooters, maybe see if you can get anything farcry related

For cheap and fast, blood dragon is hilarious

On 1/1/2018 at 10:36 AM, kylecanuck said:

Hello all, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good gaming PC that is VR ready and has the ability to be upgraded easily. I have found some options in the 12-1500 range but there are so many options it’s a bit overwhelming. Any advice on memory or

video cards or just PC brands to avoid that would be cool. 

Also does anyone have an opinion for the oculus rift vs. HTC?

Check memory express sale everyday ! Trust me .   As for Rift  vs Vive. I own a rift I am over the moon with it. It is the best thing i have ever purchased. It takes gaming to the next level and that level is a straight mind BLOW  :D

I have tried the VIVE and it is amazing too. More expensive with slightly better resolution but honestly for the money either one will make you smile from ear to ear.  Once you play minecraft in VR you are ruined for life. I have only once gone back to a normal screen and it was like I was a fish out of water lol

I highly recommend you try both of them before purchase just to see if you can get over the motion sickness that can occur for some. The first week or so it is a bit nauseating after you put the headset down after a good stint.   I bought VR exclusively for SIM racing but I love tactical shooters and IMHO ONWARD is the most realistic  military game on the planet. 

Guys have made 3d printed gun stocks to hold the controllers like a rifle it is pure immersion !

Also if making a VR ready rig spend the money on a 1070 or higher GPU and a good power supply. You dont need 16gb of ram either 8 works completely fine for me on every title.  I have a GTX 1070 8gb card and get over 300fps without VR and a steady 90fps with it on. 

If you are like me and want a whisper quiet PC get MAGLEV fans omg these are the greatest things since sliced bread : D

Anyone see any good video card deals lately?  The entire mining biz is making it near impossible to find a card at the reg price.  Most are limiting orders to 1 per person.  But everywhere i go they are either 70-100 $ over regular price or are on back order.

I'm trying to use pcpartpicker.ca but nuttin.  I'm looking for a 1050 or 1050 ti.  the 1060's are way over priced right now.

Edited by Rush17

3 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Anyone see any good video card deals lately?  The entire mining biz is making it near impossible to find a card at the reg price.  Most are limiting orders to 1 per person.  But everywhere i go they are either 70-100 $ over regular price or are on back order.

I'm trying to use pcpartpicker.ca but nuttin.  I'm looking for a 1050 or 1050 ti.  the 1060's are way over priced right now.

I managed to snag the third last 1 of these around 6 tonight.  

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX64730

Heard good reviews for the price point. Wanted the lower power usage of the geforce over radeon.  This card plays similar to my 380x that is dying.  works out well.  Cheap price $260 with tax.  the 1060's are insane like $400-500.  the 1070's are like 800 now.. like wow lol.  things are getting nuts.  Managed to find this one $70 below any other ti's off pcpartpicker.  lucked out. most are out of stock. this one now is too. X_X

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

I managed to snag the third last 1 of these around 6 tonight.  

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX64730

Heard good reviews for the price point. Wanted the lower power usage of the geforce over radeon.  This card plays similar to my 380x that is dying.  works out well.  Cheap price $260 with tax.  the 1060's are insane like $400-500.  the 1070's are like 800 now.. like wow lol.  things are getting nuts.  Managed to find this one $70 below any other ti's off pcpartpicker.  lucked out. most are out of stock. this one now is too. X_X

blame crypto for the huge increase in GPU prices. it's really bad.

• Cheers 1

I'm finishing Dishonoured 2 at some point soon hopefully, and am interested in Assassin's Creed: Origins. I've played nearly every single AC game, so I'm interested in this one as well. My good friend highly recommended it, but I was wondering if there are any others who have opinions on the game.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I'm finishing Dishonoured 2 at some point soon hopefully, and am interested in Assassin's Creed: Origins. I've played nearly every single AC game, so I'm interested in this one as well. My good friend highly recommended it, but I was wondering if there are any others who have opinions on the game.

Like every other Ubisoft game. I passed on it for that reason.. these things don't distinguish themselves much other than setting. Probably passing on Farcry 5 too... a carbon copy of the previous. It's really lazy design on their part - minimal effort and hoping to cash in.

18 hours ago, Lil B From The Pack said:

blame crypto for the huge increase in GPU prices. it's really bad.

Wait until the miners start cheaply dumping the current gen cards on the market when the next-gen cards come out or even sooner if the market continues to crash. 

4 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Like every other Ubisoft game. I passed on it for that reason.. these things don't distinguish themselves much other than setting. Probably passing on Farcry 5 too... a carbon copy of the previous. It's really lazy design on their part - minimal effort and hoping to cash in.

For the Assassins Creed series this is usually true but this is an exception. They took last year off to make AC:O better and it definitely is. Also I completely disagree about Far Cry. The games are much different from one another and only get released every few years. I loved 1, hated 2, loved 3, hated 4.

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Wait until the miners start cheaply dumping the current gen cards on the market when the next-gen cards come out or even sooner if the market continues to crash. 

Those cards are toast ! They have been run hard for a long time stay  away from used mining rig cards.

3 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Yeah. do you want a card that been ragdolled tho?  I cant imagine a mining system running hard 24/7 for months or even a year or 2 would be a good card to invest in lol.

10 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Those cards are toast ! They have been run hard for a long time stay  away from used mining rig cards.

9 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Yeah. do you want a card that been ragdolled tho?  I cant imagine a mining system running hard 24/7 for months or even a year or 2 would be a good card to invest in lol.

As long as they weren't overclocked to within an inch of their life, they'll be perfectly fine for at least a couple of years or more.  The biggest thing that kills anything that's Solid State is overheating.  If a miner creates that heat by seriously overclocking his card, he won't keep it clocked that high for long because he'll start losing potential coins when his calculations return flawed from the chain.  Games handle small errors without a problem.  Cold hard unforgiving math, not so much.

I buy my cards new every couple of years because I prefer the latest tech, but if I didn't, I'd have no problem buying a used mining rig card.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

As long as they weren't overclocked to within an inch of their life, they'll be perfectly fine for at least a couple of years or more.  The biggest thing that kills anything that's Solid State is overheating.  If a miner creates that heat by seriously overclocking his card, he won't keep it clocked that high for long because he'll start losing potential coins when his calculations return flawed from the chain.  Games handle small errors without a problem.  Cold hard unforgiving math, not so much.

I buy my cards new every couple of years because I prefer the latest tech, but if I didn't, I'd have no problem buying a used mining rig card.

Very true Sabre heat is the killer : )   Most miners slightly over clock i cant pretend to know much but I have seen a few used 1070's  in action they seemed to perform fine until you need some serious power. Seems as if heat cycled cards tend to heat up bit easier.   My buddy bought a used 1060ti never over clocked but it continually shows higher temps than normal.  The heat cycling definitely degrades the card much quicker.

I guess a cheaper used card would not be so bad if you are not going to run its legs off ;)

49 minutes ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Very true Sabre heat is the killer : )   Most miners slightly over clock i cant pretend to know much but I have seen a few used 1070's  in action they seemed to perform fine until you need some serious power. Seems as if heat cycled cards tend to heat up bit easier.   My buddy bought a used 1060ti never over clocked but it continually shows higher temps than normal.  The heat cycling definitely degrades the card much quicker.

I guess a cheaper used card would not be so bad if you are not going to run its legs off ;)

ASIC quality matters as well.  The better the quality, the less heat generated from "leaky" voltage.  If you want to test your ASIC percentage, use GPU-Z.  https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/