The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Interview) Jim Benning on TEAM1040

TheRussianRocket.

He's actually coached them before.

He isn't completely green. He was in the NHL for nearly a decade so he will adjust pretty easily.

He also knows the city and the management team pretty well.

I still think there are better options for head coach.

My thoughts as well. There is nobody on the market who can slot in at 2C for a decent price. Too much pressure to ask Horvat to place 2C at this point; especially since he may be better served in the AHL as well.

Well, as nice as it'd be to have Horvat in the AHL, it is not possible due to age restrictions. I Really hope he is NHL ready so he doesn't have to spend another year in junior.

True, he may not be the ideal coach for our veteran players but for the young up and comers, I think he could work his magic on them.

Ideally though, I would hire him on as an assistant and go after Desjardins for HC. A coaching trio consisting of Desjardins, Gulutzan, Johnston would be amazing!

I don't see Johnston coming in under Desjardins.

If He's an associate coach then it won't be for someone whose resume is no better than his own.

That's my guess, anyway.

Interiew Overview:

- Has done a couple coach interviews and has a bunch more scheduled for next week. Will then sit down, discuss with management and make a decision based on who is the best guy fitted for the job.

- Coaching candidates are all which JB and staff are familiar with. Have previous history with them whether it be following them in the minors, scouting, etc and won't get a coach they are not familiar with.

- Yelling-screaming coaching style is "embarrassing" and coaches that used that before will not succeed in todays NHL. Says the game has changed and there's not room for that style of coaching anymore and wants a coach who communicates well and gives lee-way for players to learn from mistakes. A coach that is "Firm but fair."

- Praised Portland Winterhawks coach Mike Johnston quite a bit and is definitely a coaching candidate. Likes him quite a bit and has already interviewed him which "went really well."

- Deciding if they will use their last compliance buyout. Window is only a few days as it will close after the Cup finals.

- Talks with Kesler's agent on a daily basis and won't comment any further on that. Trying to find out what will go on there. Way he sounded, doesn't seem like Kesler will be here much longer.

- Likes this draft class. Likes the top 6 guys and will be happy with whoever falls at #6.

- In constant communication with teams picking ahead of Vancouver and will try to trade up. Closer to draft, things will heat up and more likely trades happen then. Right now it's too far away from the draft to make anything certain regarding trades for all teams.

- Negotiations have started with Santorelli, Kassian, and Tanev and will continue to work on getting deals done. Santorelli is feeling better and will address his status moving forward.

Thanks a lot for posting!!! Like what Benning has to say. So excited for the draft and the impending Kesler trade. If this is done correct our rebuild will be fast tracked a lot after this draft

Interiew Overview:

- Has done a couple coach interviews and has a bunch more scheduled for next week. Will then sit down, discuss with management and make a decision based on who is the best guy fitted for the job.

- Coaching candidates are all which JB and staff are familiar with. Have previous history with them whether it be following them in the minors, scouting, etc and won't get a coach they are not familiar with.

- Yelling-screaming coaching style is "embarrassing" and coaches that used that before will not succeed in todays NHL. Says the game has changed and there's not room for that style of coaching anymore and wants a coach who communicates well and gives lee-way for players to learn from mistakes. A coach that is "Firm but fair."

- Praised Portland Winterhawks coach Mike Johnston quite a bit and is definitely a coaching candidate. Likes him quite a bit and has already interviewed him which "went really well."

- Deciding if they will use their last compliance buyout. Window is only a few days as it will close after the Cup finals.

- Talks with Kesler's agent on a daily basis and won't comment any further on that. Trying to find out what will go on there. Way he sounded, doesn't seem like Kesler will be here much longer.

- Likes this draft class. Likes the top 6 guys and will be happy with whoever falls at #6.

- In constant communication with teams picking ahead of Vancouver and will try to trade up. Closer to draft, things will heat up and more likely trades happen then. Right now it's too far away from the draft to make anything certain regarding trades for all teams.

- Negotiations have started with Santorelli, Kassian, and Tanev and will continue to work on getting deals done. Santorelli is feeling better and will address his status moving forward.

So I guess that leaves Marc Crawford out, and another jab at Torts.

It appears:

- Kesler is on the way out; 'keeping in contact with agent daily' refers to a deal (where does Kes wanna go and how to orchestrate a deal). It's without a doubt he's gone by draft day.

- Took a nice jab at Torts ( new coach won't 'embarass' our players)...

- They're picking 6th but you get the sense they'll find a way to add more picks, even move up in the draft (general 'weaker' draft means cheaper to acquire more picks vs next year)

- What's with all the ex-Canucks for coaching interviews (Johnson and Crow?) - either being looked at for assistant coach or it's a smoke screen for John Stevens and or Big Willie D (Bylsma is going to FLA you can book that)

- Santorelli doesn't seem to be a high priority UFA for them; RFA's Kassian and Tanev are

- Looks like Canucks will be quiet for July UFA signings (really; does this surprise anyone?)

- Still pondering the compliance buyout (maybe booth stays or find a way to offload him)

He's actually coached them before....Bieksa, Burrows, Sedins. He should have as easy a time as anyone.

He isn't completely green. He was in the NHL for nearly a decade so he will adjust pretty easily.

He is very familiar with the core of this group, he's kinda like the dark horse, someone Linden is familiar with as well.

He's actually coached them before....Bieksa, Burrows, Sedins. He should have as easy a time as anyone.

Do we really need a coach who very likely has favorites among the core group here though? That is my concern. Guys like those need accountability and to be pushed by young players. If he takes that approach fine but if he is brought in because of his familiarity with the core guys it will end badly imo.

I wonder if, since it looks like we will free up most of the cap from Kes, that we keep Booth and try to sell our compliance buyout to a team that has used both already, like Philly or Toronto.

I'd be curious to know what the market price is to take someone's garbage.

I wonder if, since it looks like we will free up most of the cap from Kes, that we keep Booth and try to sell our compliance buyout to a team that has used both already, like Philly or Toronto.

I'd be curious to know what the market price is to take someone's garbage.

This is EXACTLY what Benning should be doing imo.......

Do we really need a coach who very likely has favorites among the core group here though? That is my concern. Guys like those need accountability and to be pushed by young players. If he takes that approach fine but if he is brought in because of his familiarity with the core guys it will end badly imo.

I don't think that will be a problem. He's a systems coach. If he can correct the way the team us deployed then I'm not worried about the room. At least, not as much as you are.

I'd bring him in based on his resume. The rest is a bonus.

His work with young players would be one of his major selling points. He'd be hired with a bit of a mandate to get them playing, I'd wager.

Thanks for the overview TRR.

Interesting JB interviewed Johnston already. I hadn't really considered him one of the top candidates, but reading his bio, he ticks off all the boxes that Desjardins does, PLUS he has the experience and relationships with some of our top veterans. Hmmm...

Mike Johnston

General Manager/Head Coach

When Portland Winterhawks owner Bill Gallacher sought to revamp the Winterhawk's hockey operations, he turned to Mike Johnston, who brings nearly ten years of NHL experience to the organization as the team's General Manager and Head Coach.

After taking over early in the 2008-09 season, Johnston and his staff led the Winterhawks to the biggest turnaround in team history in 2009-10, improving the team by 48 points. The Winterhawks made the playoffs for the first time in four years, knocking off Spokane in overtime of Game 7 in a thrilling series.

Following the season, eight Winterhawks were taken in the 2010 NHL Draft, tying a franchise record.

Prior to coming to the Winterhawks in 2008 he spent the previous two seasons with the Los Angeles Kings as Associate Coach. Prior to joining the Kings Johnston served as Associate Coach with the Vancouver Canucks from 1999-2006, where he played a major role in the team's development. In 2004, after a second consecutive 100-point season and a third straight campaign with more than 40 wins, the Canucks captured the Northwest Division championship - the first division title for the franchise since the 1992-93 season.

In addition to his NHL experience, Johnston has an extensive history of coaching at the international level.

Most recently, he coached Canada's entry in the 2009 World Under-18 Hockey Championship. In May of 2007, Johnston was an Assistant Coach for Canada at the World Championships in Moscow where Canada - for the first time in 73 years - went undefeated (9-0) in winning the gold medal. This was Johnston's second World Championship after winning in Helsinki in 1997 and his fourth medal at that level (bronze in 1995 and silver in 1996).

Internationally, Johnston worked for Team Canada for five seasons from 1994-99 serving in the capacity of General Manager and Associate Coach and finally Head Coach for the 1998-1999 season, and was an Assistant Coach at the 1998 Winter Olympic Games in Nagano, Japan. In addition to the championships at the senior level Johnston has won three gold medals as Head Coach for Canada at the prestigious Spengler Cup Tournament and two World Junior Championships as an Assistant Coach in 1994 and 1995.

A career coach, Johnston initially started at the College and University level in Canada. He coached college hockey in Alberta for five seasons before becoming the Head Coach of the University of New Brunswick from 1989 - 1994, winning two McAdam Division titles, and finishing with three first place finishes and an overall record of 77-44-6. He was named the 3M Coach of the Year in 1994 and won the Telegraph Journal Coach of the Year Award in 1993.

Born in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Johnston holds a Master's degree in Coaching Science and he recently co-authored the book “Simply The Best - Insights and Strategies From Great Hockey Coaches.” Johnston has presented at major international conferences in Russia, Austria, Switzerland, Finland, and Sweden

This is EXACTLY what Benning should be doing imo.......

It would actually be quite funny if we were compensated to take a player like Lecavalier, under the assumption from Philly to buy him out, but then actually just keep him and worry about the regular buyout option a couple of years down the road.

Two assets for nothing.

It would actually be quite funny if we were compensated to take a player like Lecavalier, under the assumption from Philly to buy him out, but then actually just keep him and worry about the regular buyout option a couple of years down the road.

Two assets for nothing.

He has a No Movement Clause so doubtful he'd sign off on coming out West.

Fair enough but you never know.

It might be preferable to his ego than being bought out twice in a year.

That's a good point. Although I think he'd tell the Flyers to buy him out just so he can control where he goes.

Then again, I have no idea whether he really would say no to coming West.

Archived